Team-BHP - Unusual Odometer on the wheel of a Bus (Hubometer)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Unusual Odometer on the wheel of a Bus (Hubometer) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/126984-unusual-odometer-wheel-bus-hubometer.html)

I noticed a rather strange dial on the rear wheel of the local transport bus at my univ town in USA. Upon a close look, I found it to be a odometer.

It had a 6 digit reading (in miles) and the current one had clocked some 4k odd miles.

The inner panel seemed to be rather loose and vibrated during motion.

I don't know the purpose but found it rather interesting!

Interesting observation :thumbs up. More information here

Quote:

A hubometer (hub, center of a wheel + -ometer, measure of), or hubodometer or simply hubo, is a device mounted on the axle of an automobile or other vehicle that measures distance traveled.

Wow! Unique location for an odometer. I guess this would be efficient than the odometers as this is directly mounted on the axle (hub) do the number of moving parts would be less so reliability would be better for reading the kms.

Would be a nice by RTC of all the states if they get this installed as none of the speedometers/odometers work so it would be good so the kms travelled by a bus/truck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 2916101)
Wow! Unique location for an odometer. I guess this would be efficient than the odometers as this is directly mounted on the axle (hub) do the number of moving parts would be less so reliability would be better for reading the kms.

Is it to measure the distance covered by the tyre, Not the bus itself. In USA tyres sold with milage warranty (30,000/45,000/60,000). This may help the fleet operator to replace tyre once the specified limit is reached

Hubometer are used on bus/ Truck wheels where the tyres are supplied to the bus/truck operator by an independent company on a contract of price per thousand kilometers/miles usage. hubometer are typically installed by the tyre company to give them their own set of mileage readings used for replacing ,retreading tyres.

I did not find any information on the web on how this would work for double tyres on same side for an axle. Unless the tires are sold in pairs, it would be difficult to track usage on per tire basis.

Is a hubometer available in India for purchase?

I have seen this discussed in the forum before too. Would not work for two tyres unless they have a different mechanism of attaching it to the inner one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 2916713)
I have seen this discussed in the forum before too. Would not work for two tyres unless they have a different mechanism of attaching it to the inner one.

One with 2 counter should work (Similar to multiple Trip meters), one for each tyre.

It comes in handy for the truck/bus leasing company while biling the customer for miles traveled by the customer. Typically called a mileage charge apart from the fixed charge (either a rental or a lease). Also used to calculate mileage/fuel tax which has to be reported by commercial operators in US & Canada.