Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2012, 23:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air

Come 2013 and you will see a fresh new array of low floor buses plying in Indian cities.This is not something like yet an another purchase of buses. This has a real hard work from GoI. Yes, you read it right. GoI though its MoUD - Ministry of Urban Development under JNnurm 2 - Jawaharlal Nehru urban renewal mission will be funding the purchase of these buses. As earlier, there will be part funding from GoI and the rest will be from respective state Govt. GoI funding goes upto 90% for eastern states and upto 35% to 50% for other areas. The cities are classified based on population and every city which is populated more than 1 million will be benefited with this project and the number stands at 65.
JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air-173_spon_mudlogo.jpg

Normally state Govt funds buying of buses and their respective STU's gives basic specifications and based on which the manufactures will supply buses. But those specifications are based on manufactures availability of products and so nothing big of problem for the manufactures. But here in this case its little different.

So what is special in JNnurm2 - Lets have an insight-
Here again,MoUD(A Govt body) will give spec on behalf of STU's and its called Urban Bus Specification. All the Tom and dick wants to supply buses should comply with this specification. But here the spec is not based on manufactures availability of product and its purely based on the requirements and with a foresee on future. And due to this manufactures are developing products for the given specifications unlike usual tenders.
In JNnurm1 the max saloon floor height to be maintained was 900mm (a 2 step entry bus) and now this height is further reduced to 650mm or a single step entry. The specification is more detail and it speaks about acceleration, angle of approach/departure, braking distance, min floor area, size of door, location of doors and what not. So with all this as a spec, not all the manufacturers have the products ready. Everyone are working on their own way of meeting the specification.
The first of such a large amount of standardization was first noticed in DTC for the supply of 3000 low floor buses. Almost the engine, gear box and every thing used in the bus was given as a specification to AL and TM. Both delivered based on that.

Now again to JNnurm 2, due to the standard specifications every stake holder involved in, is getting huge advantage
For Manufacturers:
- Its the big relief to them as they need not make individual bodies for individual STU's. In JNnurm every STU's had their own spec and manufacturers has to supply based on that. Some ask for wider doors and some ask for Wheel base door and some ask for FOH doors and infact seating layout were also different. For all these types, manufacturers has to make one prototype bus, get it approved by STU and then start their production. But now they got some standardized and modular designs so that majority of their work during production is reduced.
Next, they need not shell out crores of rupees to understand and study the usage and design something. All are available off the shelf and what they need to do is to deliver products matching to it. Many specifications are referred to yet to be implemented bus body code and so it’s a time that they come out matching to that also.

For STU's:
-Better spec'd buses for their usage right from the day one. No trial on newer manufacturers products and need not worry about the performance. By and large all the necessary requirements are taken care and the spec's are arrived. So they can safely go ahead and also they will have lot of good to have features in their buses and will set an benchmark for their buses in near future.

For Commuters:
- Single biggest advantage is, all the buses procured will be low floor buses. A low floor bus is one which will have a single step entry into the bus unlike the current 2 step entry and 3 step entry of standard buses. The window height, gangway width, saloon height are all sufficiently given to accommodate more passengers in a comfortable way.
And with this you are likely to have full air suspension to make your ride more softer. But still the Air condition is only an optional feature and wish this will be standardized in JNnurm3.

For MoUD:
With one shot MoUD has turned upside down the way India travels.Because just some 8 years back we did'nt have anything much to travel apart from standard floor buses. After 2008, there was a huge popularization of semi low floor buses and now with the single step entry bus, we are now almost close to any developed bus market in world, where only Ultra low floor buses are looked as city bus and rest are all for Inter - Urban or for Inter -city usage only.
MoUD now they can start working on the next level for other mode of commutation like BRTS. Now Indian BRTS has various floors like 400mm (DTC etc), 650mm (JCTL etc) and 900mm (AJL, PMPMl etc) and with this in near future all the BRTS will have only 400mm. Also having done this huge exercise MoUD is ensuring a safe mode and comfortable mode of transport of India and can definitely be praised for this.

So how are the manufactures prepared for this –

Ashok Leyland – AL was the largest supplier of buses in JNnurm1 and Viking SLF was the highest purchased bus. Now AL is likely to come up with its Janbus, which was showcased in Auto Expo 2012. And this will stand unique among the entire buses, as the only Front engine bus and rest are all will be rear engine ones.
JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air-dsc03461.jpg

Tata – Tata was the largest supplier of low floor buses in JNurm1 and now its experience will be leveraged for JNnurm2 also. Tata will supply based on the LPO 1624 for diesel and LPO 1623 for CNG as well. Wishing to see some colurful Marco's once again. (The Yellow, Deep orange and blue liveries for TNSTC's were too good for me)
JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air-tm.jpg
JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air-dsc03442.jpg
JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air-dsc03431.jpg

Volvo – I can safely say it’s only JNnurm is giving revenues for its city bus products. No single STU (BMTC is excluded) has purchased 8400 in big lots after JNnurm, for the reason of higher investment. None of them are making profits and it took BMTC itself over three years to make profit from their Volvo services. Its to be understood that BMTC bus fare is almost the highest in entire India. But now Volvo’s game will start again and they will be supplying buses with price tag close to a crore and they should definitely be very much grateful to GoI and MoUD.
JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air-jnnurminauguration1141.jpg

Eicher – For JNnurm 1, Eicher did not supply buses because they did’nt have any products in the Semi Low Floor platform. I remember they were developing front semi low platform but now its safely packed. Means even if it comes, it may not attract STU’s who are buying buses with their own funds, as they already have a well versed Viking and LPO 1618. But for JNnurm2 we can see Eicher’s pie also, as they already have a 650 mm floor height platform RESLF, and have given some 20 numbers to GSRTC.
JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air-em-2.jpg
JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air-em-1.jpg

Mercedes Benz – Travel with the Star now goes Public. With only Intercity products the Merc’s experience was limited only to Intercity passengers. With Mercedes Coming in for this JNnurm 2, its likely to be experienced by a wider crowd as well. But wish they succeed against Volvo here at least. They had already tried both 650 mm and 400 mm platform buses and no idea where they are going to compete.
JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air-mb.jpg

Corona - They have the product ready and are running good with BMTC. And they have proved to be a low cost alternative to mighty Volvo - the space still not utilized by duopolies in Indian bus market - AL and TML.
JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air-50833970.jpg

Some Highlights:
-Over 18000 buses will be funded.
-Supply over 3 years of time.
-Annual Maintenance Contract will be awarded to manufacturers itself.
-Bus life expected to be atleast for the 12 years or 10k kms.
-Buses to be protected for smart card travel (or conductor less travel)

So Bus fans pull up your socks and get ready for hot photos

Sorry for boring if at all and anyway thanks for reading till this.

Pic copyright to respective owners.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 18th October 2012 at 00:03.
Ashley2 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 00:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air

Note From Team-BHP Support-Staff: Thread moved from Assembly Line to Commercial Vehicles in India. Thanks for sharing!
Old 18th October 2012, 05:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
A number of JNNURM city buses were alloted to ply in congested Kanpur city roads, most of them(around 100) are lying abandoned in the Depots. They were declared unfit prematurely due to lack of maintenance/ malhandling. A few still operate, but they are a far cry from 'Urban Renewal' on the contrary, they are a byword for 'Urban Debacle'.
Since the maintenance contracts would be the manufacturer's prerogative of late, forceeable improvements should be on offer.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It should be made mandatory for any STU whether under JNNURM or not. Purchasing of parts is where lot of corruption happens. Unlike 10-15 years, technology is changing so fast these days, it is hard for ST employees to be update with these enhancements.
What do you think about about Izuzu, MAN, Cerita etc?

Last edited by teamveevee : 18th October 2012 at 11:37.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

AshLey sir, fantastic news you have brought out.
1. Do you have an idea on the implementation part? for eg. in our state these new JNNURM buses were initially introduced in Chennai and other districts followed quite lately.

2. Moreover, if I am right, the old or JNNURM 1 orders itself is still pending (correct me if I am wrong), so, what is the plan with the old fleet of JNNURM 1 buses? will they b scrapped?(irrespective of the health of the bus?)

3. When is the actual begin of production and the time period of delivery of the first lot of JNNURM2 buses?

Thanks!
Old 18th October 2012, 11:46   #6
BHPian

I don't understand why can't only Indian companies like AL, TML, Eicher etc. be considered for these investments? It will help in the bigger picture of money staying within the country. I personally feel Volvo or MB buses don't make sense for the Indian commuters and also as you have mentioned don't give returns on the investment that the Govt. makes. Its like making losses in our country and generating capital for other countries with less or no benefit for the society.

This maybe off-topic but current me if I am wrong. I am quite sure that with (or without) Govt. aid, Tata Motors or AL is quite capable of making premium and world class busses like Volvo and MB.
hrn658276 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 12:17   #7

Government is taking good initiative by introducing such transports which essentially improve the efficiency of public transport and make regular commuter feel happy.

Still lot more to do in the area of Infrastructure in India. Lets hope for the best
Old 18th October 2012, 13:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure abt 10k kms? It should be way more than that.
Old 18th October 2012, 14:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Think that was a typo.

It should read 100K kms.
Old 18th October 2012, 15:42   #10
BHPian

Thats also very low. It should probably read as 10L Km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Think that was a typo.

It should read 100K kms.
Old 18th October 2012, 16:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrn658276 View Post
I don't understand why can't only Indian companies like AL, TML, Eicher etc. be considered for these investments? It will help in the bigger picture of money staying within the country. I personally feel Volvo or MB buses don't make sense for the Indian commuters and also as you have mentioned don't give returns on the investment that the Govt. makes. Its like making losses in our country and generating capital for other countries with less or no benefit for the society.

This maybe off-topic but current me if I am wrong. I am quite sure that with (or without) Govt. aid, Tata Motors or AL is quite capable of making premium and world class busses like Volvo and MB.
Don't know in which era you are living? Volvo has made heavy investment in the country. Also Volvos are the most reliable and comfortable city buses. Come to Bangalore and you will know how to make profit from volvos. If you sit in a Tata Marco polo bus, you will agree with I said.

Last edited by poloman : 18th October 2012 at 16:43.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 16:59   #12
BHPian

This is a very good initiative from Govt. I guess MoUD is the only department trying to work in this UPA rule.

The JnNurm1 was a bog confusion with each STU buying different varieties of products and experimenting. I was perplexed to see JnNurm volvos in bangalore and JnNurm express type boxy useless buses in hyderabad. I think MoUD has learnt from their earlier mistakes and made the spec a common platform for all STUs, putting to rest the confusion among OEMs as well as commuters.

Waiting to see the first lot in bangalore as well as hyderabad. I hope it wont take too long for the OEMs
Old 18th October 2012, 17:08   #13
BHPian

I had seen JNnurm on so many buses all over the country but never really knew what it stood for. Thanks for this very informative post.

Seems like all is not going to hell with our current government. These initiatives will go a long way in encouraging public transport.
Old 18th October 2012, 23:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawnpore ghost View Post
A number of JNNURM city buses were alloted to ply in congested Kanpur city roads, most of them(around 100) are lying abandoned in the Depots. They were declared unfit prematurely due to lack of maintenance/ malhandling..
What kind of buses are they? I dont understand how something unique has happened to Kanpur supplies alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
It should be made mandatory for any STU whether under JNNURM or not. Purchasing of parts is where lot of corruption happens. Unlike 10-15 years, technology is changing so fast these days, it is hard for ST employees to be update with these enhancements.
What do you think about about Izuzu, MAN, Cerita etc?
But,many STU's have already invested plenty in infrastructure. In fact maintenance by OEM's will be much higher as that is also looked as another business.But agreed that it increases the life of the bus and there by reducing the overall operating cost.

Isuzu and Man has no products to cater city service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
AshLey sir, fantastic news you have brought out.
1. Do you have an idea on the implementation part? for eg. in our state these new JNNURM buses were initially introduced in Chennai and other districts followed quite lately.

2. Moreover, if I am right, the old or JNNURM 1 orders itself is still pending (correct me if I am wrong), so, what is the plan with the old fleet of JNNURM 1 buses? will they b scrapped?(irrespective of the health of the bus?)

3. When is the actual begin of production and the time period of delivery of the first lot of JNNURM2 buses?

Thanks!
Implementation will be in a phased manner and may be it will follow the same order as earlier. Yes, there are some pending orders / payments and some rubbing between OEM's and STU's from JNnurm1. One of such case is KeSRTC unable to pay its payment for Volvo service.

I guess it should start in April - May 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrn658276 View Post

I am fully with you for reducing the overall travel expenditure of Common Man.
Travel fare considerably increases with the increase in the operating cost of buses. This obviously is paid back by the lay man. I see still in places like Chennai where people wait for the regular bus and skip the AC bus, as the ticket fare is very high in them.

Incase of Delhi, which is fully occupied and TML and AL, I am seeing the benefit for the layman - a comparatively better ride at an affordable ticket fare. Infact Volvo skipped this world wide tender simply because of the reason they could not meet the cost target.

And till time our desi players reacts, Volvo's game will be on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Sorry..that's 10 lakhs kms..

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Don't know in which era you are living? Volvo has made heavy investment in the country. Also Volvos are the most reliable and comfortable city buses. Come to Bangalore and you will know how to make profit from volvos. If you sit in a Tata Marco polo bus, you will agree with I said.
I know TM have failed miserably and in fact its reputation was completely a question mark in many cities even in FE buses also.But I can definitely tell you TM is one company who forgets its mistakes so fast and comes with newer products.The BS IV SLF buses in BMTC are much better than BS III and so the same should be in case of newer supplies also.

Also its basically a problem with many commuters, where in they compare Volvo and say Marcopolo's are bad. But in my view, this comparison itself is wrong. You are not paying equal to Volvo and so dont compare it with that. In this case Corona is the only competitor.

And wrt Volvo's success in Bangalore, all I can say is " Growth should be even from head to toe. If not its called as swelling and not growth"
Please take this in a lighter note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Seems like all is not going to hell with our current government. These initiatives will go a long way in encouraging public transport.
That's the ultimate objective of this entire exercise. Make the travel comfortable and pull more passengers.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 10:54   #15
BHPian

Re: JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I exactly know which company has invested what. My point was not to degrade Volvo or its buses, they are excellent. But you can't compare Volvo buses with Marcopolo. The Volvo's initial and operating costs are more than 5 times that of the local buses. And the ticket prices are hardly 2-3 times. In general these Volvos carry half number of passengers. So if you do simple math, you can derive how much the Govt. loses in this investment. And what benefit does the common man get? Nothing! The only stakeholder happy is the OEM-Volvo.

Also, I wanted to highlight that the Govt. should encourage desi brands to improve their quality of buses. If you pay 1 crore to Tata or AL for a bus, I am sure you will definitely get a great product.
hrn658276 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed