Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 17:11   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Atul Auto to manufacture 3-wheelers in Sri Lanka

Atul Auto is in the process of setting up a manufacturing plant in Sri Lanka. The company proposes to sell diesel 3 – wheelers for intracity passengers and cargo. In due time, it will also introduce 3-wheelers powered by engines running on Petrol, CNG and LPG.

Based in Gujarat, Atul Auto's product range includes chicken carriers, soft drink carriers, tipper, mobile shop, water carrier etc.

Atul Auto to manufacture 3-wheelers in Sri Lanka-atul-gem.jpg

Atul Auto to manufacture 3-wheelers in Sri Lanka-factory-atul-auto.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 17:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Atul Auto to manufacture 3-wheelers in Sri Lanka

Production at Srilanka only for local market or for export to other countries?

How it make sense for them to add one more plant in SriLanka than exporting from India? Isn't that an overhead considering the market size in Srilanka?

Sorry, too many questions. Want to understand their business sense.

Last edited by anujmishra : 30th October 2012 at 17:43.
Old 30th October 2012, 19:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Production at Srilanka only for local market or for export to other countries?

How it make sense for them to add one more plant in SriLanka than exporting from India? Isn't that an overhead considering the market size in Srilanka?

Sorry, too many questions. Want to understand their business sense.
I am sure till now Sri Lanka was importing Bajaj three wheelers from India for their local consumption as Auto ricks,Goods Carriers etc. If these vehicles are lower in cost as against Bajaj then Bajaj will have its sales to be observed.The looks of these vehicles are also better then Bajaj.As for Bajaj they were having same looks for the last so many many years.It will be a change for them at least.
Old 31st October 2012, 00:24   #4
BHPian

Every time , i see vehicles of this class, i desperately want to know what is the criteria for producing new vehicles in India? Can anyone produce anything?

I ask this question because the amount of noise, vibrations and harshness they produce while on the move is intolerable. In addition. they probably do not even adhere to the Flintstone era emission standards. It seems to me as though a brilliant engineer one day woke up to the fact that an early 1960's diesel generator he had found the previous evening could be placed on three wheels and made into a money spinner.

Is there nothing we as commoners can do to prevent these prehistoric mobile gensets (from the likes of Ape, Piaggio, our beloved Mahindra - i am glad TATA has not jumped into this bandwagon), from polluting the air our future breathes, killing the present with their engine notes or thumps?
Old 31st October 2012, 06:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

I understand emission norms for CVs in Srilanka is very low- equivalent to BS0. I am guessing Atul Auto must be setting up a plant with depreciated machines from India/some other Asian country and all production will be sold locally unless there are other markets in Asia with such poor emission norms
Old 31st October 2012, 09:31   #6
BHPian

Dear Doc Maanava - diesel three wheelers in India have to pass BS III emission norms so while they make noise etc. - I think they are as emission compliant as any other vehicle on the road - and making these one cylinder diesel engines emission compliant involves a lot of VERY VERY clever engineering!
Old 31st October 2012, 10:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Maanava View Post
Every time , i see vehicles of this class, i desperately want to know what is the criteria for producing new vehicles in India? Can anyone produce anything?

I ask this question because the amount of noise, vibrations and harshness they produce while on the move is intolerable. In addition. they probably do not even adhere to the Flintstone era emission standards. It seems to me as though a brilliant engineer one day woke up to the fact that an early 1960's diesel generator he had found the previous evening could be placed on three wheels and made into a money spinner.

Is there nothing we as commoners can do to prevent these prehistoric mobile gensets (from the likes of Ape, Piaggio, our beloved Mahindra - i am glad TATA has not jumped into this bandwagon), from polluting the air our future breathes, killing the present with their engine notes or thumps?
For you and me these three wheelers are nothing but noisy machines which contribute to traffic snarls.

But for someone who cant afford a white collar job , this is a capital investment which provides food , shelter and clothing to him and his poor family.

When it is fresh from factory , these vehicles comply to all BS emission norms. Its due to poor maintainance that they emit a lot of smoke.

Most manufacturers wont be worried about noise or vibrations due to input costs.

Reducing noise and vibrations will involve some additional costs which will be passed to the buyer. The buyer due to obvious reason wont spend much on luxury.
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
When it is fresh from factory , these vehicles comply to all BS emission norms. Its due to poor maintainance that they emit a lot of smoke. .
It is high time the autorickshaws that run on 2 stroke petrol engines are taken off the road or atleast coverted to CNG. In cities like Bangalore an hour in traffic among the autos is enough to get a headache. I do not know what they pour in the tank, it belches smoke and seems to have their silencers removed for some strange reason ! - most of them give a high pitched noise -
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:52   #9
BHPian

@AutoKrat ,

I think most autos are now either 4 stroke or run on CNG already , petrol is way too expensive for anuto rickshaw driver.

Earlier they used to mix kerosene with petrol and hence the white smoke.
Old 5th November 2012, 23:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Now autorikshaw fellows mix more oil or add extra as lpg and cng are dry fuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks