Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 17:59   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tata Ace : 1 Million Up!

Tata Ace : 1 Million Up!-image-3.jpg

Introduced in May 2005, the Tata Ace (India’s first mini-truck) & the Tata Magic (its sister vehicle) together crossed the one-million sales mark in August 2012.

Total sales at the end of October 2012 are at 10,59,135; 997,133 in India and 62,002 abroad.

Every 4th commercial vehicle sold in India today is a Tata Ace / Tata Magic. The Ace sold 500,000 units in the last 2 years itself. That's nearly 21,000 a month and about on par with the best selling hatchback in India - Maruti's Alto.

Interestingly, 60% of Tata Ace / Magic owners are first-time vehicle owners. 1,346 showrooms sell these two vehicles today. About 50% of the Tata Ace & Magic sales come from semi-urban and rural India.

The Tata Ace was originally launched in 2004-05 with a capacity of just 30,000 units per year in Pune. The dedicated plant in Pantnagar (Uttarakhand) today has a capacity of 5,00,000 units per year.

The Ace platform has spawned about 10 main variants. Under the Tata Ace itself are the Ace HT, the Ace EX (with stop-start technology), the Ace CNG, the Super Ace (1 tonne) and the Ace Zip (micro truck). Under the Tata Magic are the Magic HT, the Magic CNG and the Magic Iris. The platform also led to the launch of the Tata Venture in January 2011. In addition, there have been a whole host of applications. Among them are tankers, dumper placers, cargo vans, mobile retail vans, café-on-wheels, high-lift cherry pickers, mobile hoardings, high security cash vans and taxi and school applications.

Tata Ace : 1 Million Up!-image-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 18:30   #2
BANNED

Re: Tata Ace : 1 Million Up!

Wow. Thats a nice news for TATA.

I liked the refreshed versions looksas it is more stylish and doesn't look boring as the old one.

The features seen on the image are 12V power socket, stylish headlamps, digital clock, Fog lamps.

What is the cost as compared to the older versions?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 18:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Another Ace in Tata's sleeve, after the 407 & the Indica ! No matter how much we rant about reliability of the Indica, that, along with the 407 & the Ace have been very successful for Tata.

OT:
From the humble looking original one, to the Super Ace, and Ace EX seen here above, this model from Tata showcases a lovely evolution of the looks & Styling - even when retaining the original form. I would have loved to see this evolution in teh Safari -to Storme !
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 19:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
From the humble looking original one, to the Super Ace, and Ace EX seen here above, this model from Tata showcases a lovely evolution of the looks & Styling - even when retaining the original form. I would have loved to see this evolution in teh Safari -to Storme !
Couldn't agree more. Hope I am allowed to add the below screenshot taken from the Ace's website as my tribute to the styling and the numbers it sell.

Congrats, Tata Motors.

Tata Ace : 1 Million Up!-acezip.jpg
Old 9th November 2012, 20:34   #5
BHPian

TATA definitely has got it right in this sector. How I wish that they would show the same genius in the passenger car segment as well!
Old 9th November 2012, 23:11   #6
BHPian

Recently during my Rajasthan trip, every other transport vehicle in the village/semi urban area was an Ace. It was either for picking up goods which were stacked up to 10 feet height or for people which were 20 in number.

That shows the sturdiness and how heavy duty the vehicle is. The refreshed version looks really refreshed (seems like they carry the chronology: Vista Refresh, Ace Refresh).

Good job again Tata.
Old 19th November 2012, 16:05   #7
Team-BHP Support

I really like the looks of the latest version, and good choie of color as well - a marked difference from the boring white we see everyday.

Tata's entry in this segment has indeed been a game-changer and its no wonder all other manufacturers including M&M, Piaggio, Ashok Leyland have taken steps to combat Tata's supremacy.
Old 19th November 2012, 17:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

I had test driven the Ace when it was first introduced into the market. There was a guy (who was a fruit merchant apparently) who was there in the showroom when I came back from the test drive. We were having a small discussion about its positives and negatives and this person was adamant that the Ace would be a failure. Oh, how I would like to look at his face now when he hears about this news. In all probability he might be owning one now

It is really good to see Tata coming up with refreshed versions every now and then. The Ace mini looks ugly but really liked the Super Ace and the Ace EX. The EX looks like it can be used for a Maruti Omni type of vehicle. Tata, are you watching this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Tata already has the Tata Venture which is targeted at the Omni/EECO segment as a comfortable people mover. But it is more expensive(though being better kitted out) and hasn't captured a decent market share. It has the NA/turbo-charged IDI engine from the Indica.
I actually forgot about the venture. But, still I would feel Venture might have to be a bit bigger than what it is now. For me it just looks like an Ace Magic with a hard top.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 19th November 2012 at 17:59.
Old 19th November 2012, 17:49   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The EX looks like it can be used for a Maruti Omni type of vehicle. Tata, are you watching this?
Tata already has the Tata Venture which is targeted at the Omni/EECO segment as a comfortable people mover. But it is more expensive(though being better kitted out) and hasn't captured a decent market share. It has the NA/turbo-charged IDI engine from the Indica.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:38   #10
BHPian

One of the advantage of the ACE Magic/Cargo over the three wheeled APE/FORCE minidor etc. was the engine has better NVH levels. If you travel in a ace magic immediately after a trip in a share auto, you will get what I am alluding to. Had a close look at the ACE zip which seems to have the noisy engine from Greaves which is similar to the ones on the APE/Minidors.

Most Viewed