2x1 Seater cum Sleeper 10 10.53%
2x1 Sleeper 14 14.74%
Compartment Sleeper 8 8.42%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 02:08   #31
BHPian

Re: The Best Inter-City Bus Configuration

My first choice would be 2x1 push backs. Very few operators get the sleeper configuration correct. A 2x1 with good leg space is worth a premium.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
... Very few operators get the sleeper configuration correct. ...
What is this about? Can you elaborate?
Old 29th November 2012, 04:22   #33
BHPian

1) There was this bus with the sleeper configuration that had 5 sleeper bunks on the end of the bus, similar to the last row seats, with a tiny passage-way to walk. This meant that the passengers had literally no space between them, very uncomfortable! On rest of the bus, it was 2+2 sleeper. To be fair, this was atleast 5 years ago.

2) The Ksrtc, Karnataka (2+1) sleepers are usually good, comfort wise. However, if a person is travelling alone and gets a dual berth allocation with a stranger, it becomes messy. Everyone boards the bus and tries to change their berth allocation to an individual one.

3) Megabus sleepers in the UK, have a berth (3 bunks) arrangement which makes it extremely difficult get into the bunks. Once in, it feels like a coffin, with very little vertical space. Initially, I was quite excited by seeing an advert for this service, as the advert mentioned that every passenger will have a berth and a seat allocated to them, so that they can sit up if they prefer it. However, the sleeper was a big let down.

4) A bus from Bangalore to Pondicherry had this configuration,
Sleeper |Seat| Seat| Sleeper, the sleeper was dual bunk. By far the most sensible one for travelers. But this arrangement was such that there was no place to sit upright if a passenger was allocated a berth.

That is what i meant by saying very few operators get the sleeper configuration correct. Since there is no standard configuration, it is a lottery if someone books a berth on an unknown service.

I understand that it must be difficult to design a comfortable bunk-bed onboard a bus, while trying to fit in the maximum number of passengers and maximizing profit for the operator. But I am yet to use such a design that serves the purpose of a bus operator as well as the passenger, adequately.

Last edited by kaushikr : 29th November 2012 at 04:25.
Old 29th November 2012, 05:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

I read here earlier on the forum that Paulo travels used to operate a Bus, that had a door in the center, with the seats on the left being 2x1 and the ones on the right being 2x2

Once Operators start using the 12M SLF chassis to build sleeper busses there will be more space for berths. Nothing to beat the Indian Railways configuration of berths, Busses must ape that configuration, 6 berths in a cubicle with a wash room at the end of the Bus, a sure-fire recepie to laugh all the way to the Bank

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks