Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2012, 10:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Any SunFilm Ban on Private Buses?

Guys,

Without going into the political aspect of what's happening currently in our country; my query is was the Ban on sun-films only applicable for Pvt. Vehicles? Today enroute to office, I saw so many buses used by reputed IT companies, large private operators, schools with super thick tints.

Why didn't any drive take place against them?
Old 20th December 2012, 11:18   #2
BANNED

re: Any SunFilm Ban on Private Buses?

I thought this was covered by the SC order. What about the White Maria's?
Old 20th December 2012, 11:25   #3
BHPian

It all depends upon the local police. If they want to implement a law then everybody follows it. For example, the staff of interstate luxury (Volvo / Mercedes) buses in Chandigarh, don't allow any passenger to put curtains while the bus is within city limits. No matter how the sunlight is affecting you.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 20th December 2012, 11:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I thought this was covered by the SC order. What about the White Maria's?
Precisely. However, not implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
It all depends upon the local police. If they want to implement a law then everybody follows it. For example, the staff of interstate luxury (Volvo / Mercedes) buses in Chandigarh, don't allow any passenger to put curtains while the bus is within city limits. No matter how the sunlight is affecting you.

Cheers!
Irish
I feel most govt. Volvo's too have dark tints. Also, when implementing this, I noticed that mostly, the checks happen either at toll gates or downtown but not in suburbs.
Old 20th December 2012, 12:24   #5
gemi_kk

I see that most of the Volvo buses have 60% Glass and all the glass used is a colored one. They dont have tints. How could they remove the Tint, when there is no Tint at all ?

I think, this shouldnt be a problem because, most of the busses travel at night (Night journeys.) Removing a tint will not cause any problem because most of the busses are equiped with Window curtains Even this is illegal in cars. So both Glass + Curtains should be removed in this case.

Cant say anything more. I dont understand where the goverment is driving the vehicle called india. I guess they are offroading. No offence meant to any one.

Old 20th December 2012, 12:51   #6
BHPian

Well, to be frank i don't see the ban is properly implemented on Private small vehicles also, forget the heavier ones. There are plenty of them moving without getting the sun films removed.

I don't think the cops are very serious in implementing the ban. It all comes lastly on the authorities who enforce a law. If they don't act, the law remains a paperwork, no matter what it states or how much good/bad it is for the common man.
Old 20th December 2012, 13:01   #7
BHPian

Re: Sun Films Ban in Private Buses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post

I feel most govt. Volvo's too have dark tints. Also, when implementing this, I noticed that mostly, the checks happen either at toll gates or downtown but not in suburbs.
They damn strict is the suburbs too , at least in Mulund where i stay. The law is ridiculous, soon they will say keep your doors open at home, what if you are raping someone in your house!!!
I am deeply aggravated by this no sun film law because i drive 2-3 hours every other day. It is hot in India.
Also there is the issue of privacy.

I am not being insensitive , but it bothers me when people stare inside when a lady is driving , their road manners worsen too when they see a lady driving a car with a loud exhaust.
This one biker blitzed past us (girlfriend driving) then removes his helmet in a grand manner while still riding his bike.
Old 20th December 2012, 13:11   #8
BHPian

Re: Any SunFilm Ban on Private Buses?

I travel daily from Andheri West to Powai and till the previous fortnight, the bus i travel in, was stopped at each juncture where the traffic police had placed barricades. Same goes for other buses that plyed on this route.

Still not sure, why these guys don't remove the films. Shockingly, our bus driver used to cough out the fine on a regular basis

Last edited by MetalBuff : 20th December 2012 at 13:32.
Old 20th December 2012, 13:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post

I am not being insensitive , but it bothers me when people stare inside when a lady is driving , their road manners worsen too when they see a lady driving a car with a loud exhaust.
This one biker blitzed past us (girlfriend driving) then removes his helmet in a grand manner while still riding his bike.
I dont agree with privacy being an issue. Think of those women who travel on 2-wheelers, autos, buses, local trains or just walk on feet. Do they don't have privacy issues?
We car owners are really fortunate to own a car in this country and belong to the upper most strata of middle class, but that does not give us (rather our women folk) any special privileges.
But otherwise, I agree that driving in sunny conditions without sunfilm is a pain, and also more taxing on the car AC.
Anyway, coming back to the topic, having no tints on the bus windows might have helped in that particular incident.
Old 20th December 2012, 13:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Most school bus and tourist buses have taken off the sun film they had ( Trivandrum). I guess some havent yet coz they do interstate trip in the eve and are seldom on roads during daytime.

And most Volvos here ( few in which I have traveled) had curtains and not sunfilm
Old 20th December 2012, 14:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
I dont agree with privacy being an issue. Think of those women who travel on 2-wheelers, autos, buses, local trains or just walk on feet. Do they don't have privacy issues?
We car owners are really fortunate to own a car in this country and belong to the upper most strata of middle class, but that does not give us (rather our women folk) any special privileges.
But otherwise, I agree that driving in sunny conditions without sunfilm is a pain, and also more taxing on the car AC.
Anyway, coming back to the topic, having no tints on the bus windows might have helped in that particular incident.
You have to understand that it is not ok for any woman to be oogled at, someone travelling on a two wheeler or public transport has no option to be not oogled at.
They have privacy issues. Just that it is not always possible to drive around in a car all the time in a city like mumbai.
BUT when one travels in a car, one has the option of windows , option of being private, which is a convenience. At 2 am someone would feel a lot safer travelling in a car as opposed to by train.
I have also given you the example on how peoples behaviours change when they see women driving, which would have been avoided were there sun film on my car.
Old 20th December 2012, 15:02   #12
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Some of the AC Best buses plying in Mumbai had these tints with ads on them which they were forced to remove by the concerned authorities.

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2011/may...TMC-mumbai.htm
Old 20th December 2012, 16:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Those working for Accenture, please have a look at the blue buses; most of them have tints. Also, Sai Care buses at Kailash Complex, have dark tints; they are used mostly by Call-centre's and IT companies.

http://saicarelogistics.com/Look-Our-Vehicles-fn.php
Old 21st December 2012, 13:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
You have to understand that it is not ok for any woman to be oogled at, someone travelling on a two wheeler or public transport has no option to be not oogled at.
They have privacy issues. Just that it is not always possible to drive around in a car all the time in a city like mumbai.
BUT when one travels in a car, one has the option of windows , option of being private, which is a convenience. At 2 am someone would feel a lot safer travelling in a car as opposed to by train.
I have also given you the example on how peoples behaviours change when they see women driving, which would have been avoided were there sun film on my car.
Dont get me wrong dear. Ofcourse every woman has a right not to be ogled at.
But my point was that providing an option of privacy to only a priviliged few and leaving most of the have-nots of our society at the mercy of God cannot be a solution.
Like they say "not even one innocent should be punished, even if 100 criminals are let free" , similarly if removal dark tints can prevent even one rape (at the cost of inconvenience to all others), it is still worth the effort.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post

Quote:
They damn strict is the suburbs too , at least in Mulund where i stay. The law is ridiculous, soon they will say keep your doors open at home, what if you are raping someone in your house!!!
I am deeply aggravated by this no sun film law because i drive 2-3 hours every other day. It is hot in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Dont get me wrong dear. Ofcourse every woman has a right not to be ogled at.
But my point was that providing an option of privacy to only a priviliged few and leaving most of the have-nots of our society at the mercy of God cannot be a solution.
Like they say "not even one innocent should be punished, even if 100 criminals are let free" , similarly if removal dark tints can prevent even one rape (at the cost of inconvenience to all others), it is still worth the effort.
In Mumbai region: Checks are now seen occurring on a frequent basis on the starting section of the Nasik Highway, seen in Taloja Area, fixed spots for checks such as the turn for SEEPZ from JVLR etc. and random checks almost anywhere. Basically the local cops have understood they can get 50 bucks for stopping a car with tints. They do not force removal so that they can reap the golden egg and not kill it.

For women in cars, especially if backseat, please use privacy curtains. I am currently looking for the same for my vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks