Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2013, 15:54   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Highway Cops extort over Rs. 20,000 crore per year from Truckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
We do not overload, all our papers and permits are complete and upto date, and still the cops/rto's have to be paid at EVERY state Border. A believe it or not, a trip from Nagpur to a plant in Himachal entails 5 state borders and nearly Rs.3000 is the speed money paid, otherwise our truck would take 2+ days more to reach destination waiting in queues to get the papers scan done at each border!!! And its simple, if you do not give they ask you to wait and your turn just doesnt come. This is how they extract, and the share goes right to the top, its a price for each posting.
Then I guess the bribe amount (Rs. 3K) is a part of business costs, and these extra costs are passed on to the customer. The income tax department ought to make bribes a tax deductible expense!
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 17:34   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
In most of cases what you say maybe true. But, we have our trucks transporting our material all over India, and, We do not overload, all our papers and permits are complete and upto date, and still the cops/rto's have to be paid at EVERY state Border.
That is so very true. But a majority of the bribes are indeed a way of letting them pass off/ overlook the legalities in most cases. I do agree that overall the whole system has kind of fallen and you can't pin point on a single thing. Corruption has sort of become the part and parcel of our DNA. And I don't think its going to go anywhere soon. God save us.
Old 28th March 2013, 18:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Over the last year or so in Chennai, cops have been very aggressively collecting fines for various violations and they issue challans through a hand held device. I am seeing first hand a drop in the notorious practice of Chennai cops standing in every nook and corner willing to even settle for Rs2-Rs10 from a passing cyclist/biker. All though I dont know the full facts, but i am making a guess that either the senior folks in the dept have come down heavily on cops taking bribes and asking them to take it over the table or they are incentivising the cops on the collections made. I would think the latter to be true.

If that be the case, it would be good if other authorities follow this model. This way, the state also makes money and the funds can be spent usefully. else its just another way to fuel the black economy and the bulging bellies of our govt employees
Old 28th March 2013, 20:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Over the last year or so in Chennai, cops have been very aggressively collecting fines for various violations and they issue challans through a hand held device.
Since they use handheld devices, there is much lesser scope for corruption. In Maharashtra, I've heard a lot of people saying that challan books are fake! People think that they have been honest in paying penalty and not bribing, while the fact is that, they are cheated into bribing!
Old 29th March 2013, 00:54   #20
BHPian

Hi everybody
Today's(28/3) economic times has this report.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

Hope this time they really do away with the octroi.
Regards
Old 29th March 2013, 14:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
Today's(28/3) economic times has this report.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

Hope this time they really do away with the octroi.
Regards
LBT is another pain. From what I know, most of the car dealers don't pay LBT in whatever Municipal Corporations it is implemented. They say, you would get a letter from the Municipal Corporation and then go and pay; if you don't get it, don't pay. After I got married and was brining my wife home, these morons wanted me to pay LBT for my wife's cloths which were in the suitcase that was kept in the boot of our Cab otherwise they don't allow cabs to ply normally and will un-necessarily harrass them resulting is business loss for the cabs.

This is another level of corruption in the making.

Last edited by amtak : 29th March 2013 at 14:49.
Old 29th March 2013, 14:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think the most corrupt state in whole of India is Maharashtra, even worse than UP and Bihar. Govt workers here have got used to the idea that they pay hefty bribes to get a govt job, then a hefty bribe to get plum posts/areas, and like mosquitoes they then go about their nasty business of sucking blood of common people.
People on this thread have been commenting on how can a policeman run his family on Rs 8k/month, have they ever thought why did that policeman pay Rs 15-20lacs as bribe to be absorbed in Maharastra police?
Do they know that regular and illegal auctions are conducted to buy plum postings? And every rupee that the constable eats off you in bribe a certian percentage flows upwards to his superiors all they way to the commissoner and even ministers? Now why on earth should we be ever sympathetic to these official crooks?

Every illegal business in Mumbai like encroachment, extortion, prostitution, drugs and name what not, happens under the encouragement and blessings of the corrupt ministers, Maharashtra govt babus and the Maharashtra police. The only time these people are scared are when they are transferred to the Naxalite hit districts, because their bribes dry up and they face the prospect of real duty.
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:31   #23

There is a guy in Delhi, his name is Dr.Ram. His main job is taking videos of corrupt policemen and posting it on the web (YouTube). I would say, we need more people like him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks