Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2013, 11:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

New details about the Ashok Leyland Stile MFV emerge

Link to News Section

When Ashok Leyland first showcased the Stile at the 2012 Indian Auto Expo, the Hosur based utility vehicle maker preferred to call the Stile MPV, an MFV. While MPV stands for multi purpose vehicle, MFV is an acronym for multi functional vehicle. The naming of the Stile is just one of the many differentiating factors that Ashok Leyland has chosen to implement.

Ashok Leyland's take on the Evalia = Stile to launch late 2013?-ashok-leyland-stile-mfv.jpg

Differentiation is a key aspect among badge engineered automobiles and this factor will be most apparent on the Ashok Leyland Stile, a badge engineered version of the Nissan Evalia MPV. Thanks to Motoring (formerly Business Standard Motoring and now a part of the Delhi Press), we now have a rash of details about the Stile MFV, a product that is likely to be priced significantly lower than the Nissan Evalia.

Also, the Stile will focus on the cab operator/commercial van segment while the Evalia is aimed at family MPV buyers. The Stile will be built by Nissan, alongside the Evalia, at the Renault-Nissan joint manufacturing facility at Oragadam, off Chennai. Ashok Leyland is likely to sell the Stile from its newly established small commercial vehicle dealerships, the ones that also host the Dost range.

Here are a few key differentiating points of the Stile,
  • Revamped styling
  • The 1.5 liter K9K turbo diesel engine will feature a lower state of tune, with a 74 Bhp-185 Nm output.
  • The five speed gearbox with dashboard mounted gearshifter will be retained on the Stile.
  • A slightly higher claimed fuel efficiency figure of 19.5 Kmpl and a kerb weight that's 43 kilograms lighter than the Evalia.
  • Stereo unit and passenger side power window switch given the miss.
  • Central locking, keyless entry (with the push button start), fog lamps and real time fuel consumption display skipped
  • The Stile gets 3 variants: Base, LS and LX.
  • The Base variant is an 8 seater, while LS and LX variants get captain seats as an option on the second row, and are 7 seaters.
  • The LS and LX variants may also be specified as an 8 seater, with the base variant's 60:40 split second row.
  • Sliding windows, covered glove box and an AC blower for the second row are the three other changes on the Stile.

Notably, the revamped Nissan Evalia could get a covered glove box, an AC blower and captain seats for the second row. Since the Evalia and the Stile will share the production line, key changes made on the Stile based on customer feedback received for the Evalia are expected to be rolled out on the Nissan MPV as well.

With the launch of the Stile, Nissan India would be hoping that the dud selling Evalia gets a new lease of life, as a lower priced model targeting commercial MPV/panel van buyers. The revamped Evalia is also likely to see a launch in the coming weeks, in close proximity to that of the Ashok Leyland Stile.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 20th September 2013 at 11:33. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 14:34   #32
BHPian

Re: Ashok Leyland's take on the Evalia = Stile to launch late 2013?

I really hope the Stile sells and sell well so that Nissan can sit up and take notice of what they are missing by having a master franchisee and not being connected to its customers.
DWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 22:47   #33
BHPian

Re: New details about the Ashok Leyland Stile MFV emerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Also, the Stile will focus on the cab operator/commercial van segment while the Evalia is aimed at family MPV buyers. The Stile will be built by Nissan, alongside the Evalia, at the Renault-Nissan joint manufacturing facility at Oragadam, off Chennai. Ashok Leyland is likely to sell the Stile from its newly established small commercial vehicle dealerships, the ones that also host the Dost range.
Going by the photos of the interiors, the Stile seems to be quite nice even for families. So, will Stile be permitted for personal use or will it be sold only to the taxi segment (like the DZire tour)?

What is the price of the Stile? Also, it would be nice if a team-bhp review is possible on the Stile.

Given the fact that it is a Nissan engine and the car is built in the Nissan factory, I would expect the Stile to be of better quality than, say, even the premium version of Tata Winger.

This vehicle has better potential that the Evalia and if the price tag is attractive, somewhere in the range of the Ertiga, it could just have decent number of takers.

If I had owned a Stile, I would have paid a roadside mechanic to remove the AL logos and fit in the Nissan Logos. After all, it IS a Nissan car, isn't it?
misquitas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 02:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
...Given the fact that it is a Nissan engine and the car is built in the Nissan factory, I would expect the Stile to be of better quality than, say, even the premium version of Tata Winger...
Winger is totally a crap. The Renault junk isn't really put together by Tata. Its neither positioned as a proper taxi nor a private car. The heat generated in front seats is so high that you tend to sweet with Ac. And rear seats are nothing much to speak either. This speaks on the dismal numbers on road. They are almost not stocked by many dealers.
Old 21st September 2013, 09:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Winger is totally a crap. The Renault junk isn't really put together by Tata. Its neither positioned as a proper taxi nor a private car. The heat generated in front seats is so high that you tend to sweet with Ac. And rear seats are nothing much to speak either. This speaks on the dismal numbers on road. They are almost not stocked by many dealers.
Really? I like your choice of words. Renault junk. Total crap. Dismal numbers on road. In the city where I live there are many Wingers and they are all commercial applications, a purpose for which the Winger was built in the first place. Tata did try to make a personal vehicle out of it on a shorter chassis and rightly burnt its hands. The Winger is the first generation Renault Trafic panel van for which Tata bought out the dies and put its own TCIC engine (both with and without a turbo charger) mated to a Renault designed transaxle. It is the vehicle of choice for transporting IT company employees in Hyderabad. I have been in one myself, while it is no where being a great vehicle it is certainly not crap by any stretch of imagination. It does the work it was designed for and does it reasonably well. Like I said the biggest mistake and hugely idiotic one was the Tata tried to create a Platinum version for families to travel in. There was no way anyone would have bought this vehicle as personal transport.
Old 21st September 2013, 10:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
....In the city where I live there are many Wingers and they are all commercial applications, a purpose for which the Winger was built in the first place.
Don't get carried away with one location. If that's were you intend, I can add one more as rural people mover in Guwahati. This doesn't mean that, it's seen everywhere and sales is extremely good. How many are repeat purchase and how many are getting replaced will tel you more stories. There are similar application everywhere and why aren't Winger used.

Quote:
I have been in one myself, while it is no where being a great vehicle it is certainly not crap by any stretch of imagination. It does the work it was designed for and does it reasonably well.
Would you mind telling it's an AC or Non Ac? I was very clear about my statement wrt AC and its not my imagination rather my travel experience.

Quote:
Like I said the biggest mistake and hugely idiotic one was the Tata tried to create a Platinum version for families to travel in. There was no way anyone would have bought this vehicle as personal transport.
That's usual and continued mistake. There should be intended product position and should stick on to it.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 10:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Winger is totally a crap. The Renault junk isn't really put together by Tata. Its neither positioned as a proper taxi nor a private car.
Quote:
In the city where I live there are many Wingers and they are all commercial applications, a purpose for which the Winger was built in the first place. Tata did try to make a personal vehicle out of it on a shorter chassis and rightly burnt its hands. The Winger is the first generation Renault Trafic panel van for which Tata bought out the dies and put its own TCIC engine (both with and without a turbo charger) mated to a Renault designed transaxle. It is the vehicle of choice for transporting IT company employees in.
... a Platinum version for families to travel in. There was no way anyone would have bought this vehicle as personal transport.
The main purpose of my comparison between the Stile and the Winger was to state two things:
1. The Stile is a barebones version of the premium Evalia, while the Platinum Winger is the premium version of the barebones Winger. I am, however, inclined to believe that the barebones Stile with its car-like capabilities is a better vehicle than even the Platinum Winger. As mentioned in the earlier post, the Winger is a mix of an outdated Renault body with a Tata engine, while the Stile is essentially an all Nissan car with only an AL badge. The Stile, thus, has a better chance of recognition and reliability than the mix-and-match recipe of Tata Winger.

2. The Stile has a wider range of applications than the Winger. It appears smaller than even the compact version of the Winger and hence, will appeal to the taxi segment, families, IT segment, ambulances, cargo vans, hotels, etc. The Stile has almost the same practicality as that of the Eeco, but with better fit and features. Unfortunately, the Winger has rarely appealed to the family segment.

Hence, I feel that the Stile has better potential than the Winger or even, its more premium sibling, Evalia.

Last edited by misquitas : 21st September 2013 at 11:16.
Old 21st September 2013, 11:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Would you mind telling it's an AC or Non Ac? I was very clear about my statement wrt AC and its not my imagination rather my travel experience.
It was in an AC version, the Platinum. I did not experience the problem that you did.
Old 21st September 2013, 11:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. The Stile has a wider range of applications than the Winger. It appears smaller than even the compact version of the Winger and hence, will appeal to the taxi segment, families, IT segment, ambulances, cargo vans, hotels, etc. The Stile has almost the same practicality as that of the Eeco, but with better fit and features. Unfortunately, the Winger has rarely appealed to the family segment.
I completely disagree with you here.

Its the Winger that is far more versatile in nature than Nissan based Stile. The Winger is far more simple and will be considerably more easy to maintain. But the biggest advantage of all which makes the Winger a much more verastile is simple its size.

1. Stile is an 7/8-seater. Winger can be had as 10/13/14 seater.
2. Stile has a 2.7m wheelbase, while the Winger has a a 2.8 or a 3.2m wheelbase. Stile doesnot have a high-roof option like the Winger. Even in the standard roof variant the Winger is taller by about 0.2m.
3. Interior width of the Winger is 1650mm, with total width being 1920mm. The Stile will have a total width of 1695mm.
4. I dont know upto what weight the Evalia/Stile is rated, but I doubt it will match the payload capacity of the Winger.

Thus the Winger is a much better option as a public carrier, more economical thanks to its considerably larger volume/passenger capacity. The Winger can be used as a far more capable Ambulance, an application in which it is very very popular. As a panel van for carrying goods, the Winger will have a huge size advantage.

The Winger's main disadvantage is that its engine is a slight bit underpowered at times. But for commercial operators, power is less of a concern compared to mileage, not to mention ease of service. May be in future Tata will plonk the 2.2L or even their new 3L engine as and when they get down to making a new Winger.

The only main advantage which the Stile has is its slightly more premium look and feel and a more sophisticated refined engine.

Personally I dont think the Stile and Winger will compete much at all. Winger's primary competition is the Force Traveller.

Tata Motors attempt at selling the Winger to private families was a bit of a blunder, though it didnt really cost them much. They seem to have withdrawn that step and are no longer selling the Platinum variant. Today the Winger is sold only through the commercial vehicle showrooms of Tata Motors, where it belongs.

Quote:
It was in an AC version, the Platinum. I did not experience the problem that you did.
I too have been in a 13 seat AC equipped variant of the Winger. I came away very pleasantly surprised. The AC was pretty effective, not very fast at cooling but not desperately slow either. Speed and comfort too was very good, much better than Force Travllers. The engine, though not completely quite and unobtrusive, wasnt too loud at speeds of 70-80kph. Acceleration wasnt exactly fast though.

I have also had an experience in a Winger Ambulance, and it is by far the best vehicle for an Ambulance in India. Its far far better than Omni/Eeco or some long wheelbase Boleros which are used as Ambulances. The Traveller is pretty good, but the Traveller is too big and cumbersome for Indian cities, and also its floor height is very high making getting in and out very difficult. The Winger is very spacious, while not being too big on the outside.

Last edited by julupani : 21st September 2013 at 12:06.
Old 21st September 2013, 12:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Then you are welcome to enjoy your travel. Actually one of my close friend wanted to buy Winger for his school to ferry school children. We were initially very much inclined towards Winger and wanted to go for it. There was a tourist operator near by and was owning one. He was a friend of my friend and we asked his opinion on it. He was very clear that it doesn't solve the purpose of AC and is available only for name sake. Also the engine which was not pulling 14 people with AC even in slightest gradient and required frequent down shifts. He asked us to stay away. we were not very much convinced with his view and later took the vehicle for ride and understood reality. That's it. I am ok for its size but not for its overall capability especially the payload capacity .

Last edited by Ashley2 : 21st September 2013 at 12:47.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 17:27   #41
BHPian

To me the Ashok Leyland Stile looks better than it's original version Nissan Evalia. Like Force Motors and Tata Motors, it will be tough task for Ashok Leyland to set up an effective sales and service network.
Old 22nd September 2013, 00:39   #42
BHPian

Since the Stile shares most, if not all, of its parts from the Evalia, is it technically possible for a Stile owner to get his/her car serviced at the Nissan service centre?

Given the fact that the Stile is essentially an Evalia, I would think that the Nissan service centre would be better qualified/capable of servicing the Stile than the Ashok Leyland service centre.
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is it technically possible for a Stile owner to get his/her car serviced at the Nissan service centre?
It is technically possible but legally not possible. It will be serviced in respective service centre's only. I guess the same applies to Scala, Pulse / Sunny, Micra.
Old 22nd September 2013, 11:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Then you are welcome to enjoy your travel. Actually one of my close friend wanted to buy Winger for his school to ferry school children. We were initially very much inclined towards Winger and wanted to go for it. There was a tourist operator near by and was owning one. He was a friend of my friend and we asked his opinion on it. He was very clear that it doesn't solve the purpose of AC and is available only for name sake. Also the engine which was not pulling 14 people with AC even in slightest gradient and required frequent down shifts. He asked us to stay away. we were not very much convinced with his view and later took the vehicle for ride and understood reality. That's it. I am ok for its size but not for its overall capability especially the payload capacity .
I do not have any extensive knowledge of commercial vehicles and what I know is restricted to the experience that I have had in them. The Winger experience is also one such. I do not have the insights that maybe offered by tourist operators or commercial vehicle owners. I am quite sure you know about these things better than I do.

Last edited by sadsack : 22nd September 2013 at 11:35. Reason: To add one more sentence
Old 3rd October 2013, 05:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Ashok Leyland has confirmed that the Stile will be launched on October 8.

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/10/a...ctober-8-98887
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks