Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2013, 17:05   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Greaves launches the Ustad, forays into mini-tractor segment

Greaves launches the Ustad, forays into mini-tractor segment-greaves-ustad-tractor.jpg

Greaves Farm Equipment, part of Greaves Cotton Limited, launches its first mini tractor in India - the Ustad.

The Greaves Ustad is present in the 11-12 HP range of entry-level tractors, and caters to a land holding size of 3-5 acres. Designed primarily for farming operations, Ustad lends itself to multiple tasks such as haulage, cultivator, seed drill, pesticide sprayer, rotavator etc.

It's powered by a G 600 W II engine with a diesel consumption rate of 1 liter / hr. This 4 stroke direct-injection single cylinder motor is rated for a max torque of 32 Nm. The Ustad has 8 forward and 2 reverse gears, completely sealed waterproof mechanical brakes and a pawl & ratchet type locking arrangement. The transmission comes with a combination of synchromesh, constant and sliding mesh gear shifting with epicyclical planetary reduction gear that is suited to agricultural haulage. The turning radius is 2.1 meters (without brakes).

The Ustad has a three-point linkage allowing for the attachment of various implements like plough, cultivator and harrow seed drill.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 20:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Greaves launches the Ustad, forays into mini-tractor segment

Nice to see Greaves getting into the mini tractor segment in times when overall tractor market is declining or at best stagnant. M & M the leader in the business has cut production.

Though the mini tractor market is an upgrade from the tiller where Greaves has been an old player, it would be still be a tough market overall.

but couldn't help noticing something which needs some explanation

Quote:
The turning radius is 2.1 meters (without brakes).
What is 'without brakes' in this context?
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 21:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
What is 'without brakes' in this context?
Tractors have two brake pedals placed adjacent (individual for each rear wheels).
While turning in the field, driver can engage the brake only on the turning side by pressing the left/right pedal so that particular wheel is locked and the other rear wheel does the job, taking a sharp turn, useful while ploughing. It also helps to control unnecessary tyre spinning.

While in normal driving condition, there is a small interlock like arrangement and by engaging/using it we can connect both the pedals together.
v1kram is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 18:47   #4
BHPian

GTO

Any details of the price? Does it have what they call PTO for attaching roto-tillers and other attachments?

Tried visiting their site for this machine. Looks like they have not yet loaded content on the machine.

I was in the market for a 'suitable' and 'flexible' machine - I had done some internet search and came to a conclusion for my needs (managing an orchard) a versatile machine probably could be the BCS-Ferrari walk behind tractor.

All my learning about it came from you-tube videos and some sites in US. Though BCS-Ferrari is an Italian company they started an assembly plant in Punjab.

The BCS-Ferrari seems to have multiple attachments - a sickle-bar cutter, a chipper, a sprayer, a potato digger, a furrow maker and a 'sulky' to use it like a tractor.

Unfortunately the website sucks - hardly gives any info and is so basic. My attempts to get in touch with them took them to revert to me after about 10 days! Finally their marketing manager called and sent a quote. I wanted a demo but their presence in south seems not to be there yet.
soonya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 16:51   #5
BHPian

Hi, which is a reliable Mini tractor with lower maintenance cost ? Is 4x4 really useful in Mini tractor segment?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks