Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 16:51   #16
BANNED

Re: Tata Super Ace versus Ashok Leyland Dost

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.1979 View Post
Dost is a 1.25T and super ace is 1.0T.
Dost 58Hp and supar ace is 70Hp.
Dost has a max torque of 16.1 kg- m@ 1600-2400rpm.
Super ace's torque is missing in the brochure.
super ace has better gradability and max speed 125kmph dost 90kmph.
Dost Turning radius is lesser compare to super ace.
Dost has the comfort of AC at an extra cost.
Dost has more number of variants to select and BS III and BS IV engines.
HP does not matter in a commercial vehicle . Torque matters and that is why Tata has hidden it conveniently .
Gradability and max speed for fully laden vehicle or on empty vehicle '?
greatmana2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:52   #17
BHPian

you are absolutely right. i think super ace torque should be somewhere close to 12.5 kg- m@ 2600rpm.
as we all know Dost is from Nissan, so it will have that class.
i.1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
HP does not matter in a commercial vehicle . Torque matters and that is why Tata has hidden it conveniently .
Gradability and max speed for fully laden vehicle or on empty vehicle '?
Quote:
Super ace's torque is missing in the brochure.
Nothing is hidden to a scrutinising eye.
Tata Super Ace versus Ashok Leyland Dost-superace.png
Torque is a decent 138 NM.
turbospooler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...as we all know Dost is from Nissan, so it will have that class.
If you are mentioning about engine then its developed by ashokleyland only.
Tata has always had better soecs in paper, right from Indica to Vista and Prima to Divo. So until you dont have personal experience you really cant comment on its performance.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 2nd May 2013 at 10:52.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The Dost is a true lcv .. super ace is a lcv with a car engine and a gearbox .
I request you to get the facts right. The Engine may be also found doing duty in the Indigo, but then the cars have a transaxle whereas the Super Ace has a rear wheel drive and hence a North South configuraion. The Gearbox is purpose built for a Commercial Vehicle.

As for a passenger car engine, it has its advantages. If the load carried is rated load or less, the engine will give a very good fuel efficiency which the Dost with its flatter and higher torque may not match. Dost will come on its own when the load is over the rated load where the Fuel Efficiency of the Dost may be better. If Trivedishivam is carring UPVC material which has a longer length, for him specifically it may make better sense to go for the Super Ace as i guess it will run underload for most part with a 'One side empty' possibility.

The Super Ace had been in the market for 3years now and it is easy to check with people on the reliability and performance front if someone has doubts over the aggregates.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Nothing is hidden to a scrutinising eye.
Attachment 1079896
Torque is a decent 138 NM.
truely that was my mistake and my apologies.
Old 2nd May 2013, 23:01   #22
BHPian

Let me share one of my experiences with a customer whom i met today. He owns both the Dost and Super ace and is into the distribution business of fruits and vegetables. This thread came to my mind when i met him.

The first purchase was the Super Ace and about a year back he had bought the Dost too. He transports fruits from Bangalore to Calicut and initially he was using the Super Ace for the purpose. But once the vehicle overheated resulting in brake failure which forced them to stop the vehicle for about a day in the road with the load.Remember the load was perishable goods. They had to give a call to the Tata service and they adviced him to rest his vehicle for about half a day to make it cool. Well this is the story that my customer who himself drives a vehicle has to say.
Now coming to Dost, he exclaimed that mileage is not that great but manageable. But he really likes the Dost for the long haul purposes and the ac chills to the bones too. When i asked him about the failure of front independent suspension(obviously the negative USP of Dost!)he said that was pertaining to the initial lot of vehicles and AL have rectified the same. Till date he hasn't found any complaints(even a minor one) in the Dost and he is about to sell the Super Ace to take one more Dost into his stable.

Well i shall share more experiences from my customers who owns both these competing vehicles soon.
urzdeepu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 00:15   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
I request you to get the facts right. The Engine may be also found doing duty in the Indigo, but then the cars have a transaxle whereas the Super Ace has a rear wheel drive and hence a North South configuraion. The Gearbox is purpose built for a Commercial Vehicle.

As for a passenger car engine, it has its advantages. If the load carried is rated load or less, the engine will give a very good fuel efficiency which the Dost with its flatter and higher torque may not match. Dost will come on its own when the load is over the rated load where the Fuel Efficiency of the Dost may be better. If Trivedishivam is carring UPVC material which has a longer length, for him specifically it may make better sense to go for the Super Ace as i guess it will run underload for most part with a 'One side empty' possibility.

The Super Ace had been in the market for 3years now and it is easy to check with people on the reliability and performance front if someone has doubts over the aggregates.
Just because an engine is designed to do duty north south does it make it more reliable ? hmmm

Atleast going by the trend the Tata super ace is not selling in chennai .. the dost is a big hit and i do not see any mahindra max as well .
greatmana2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 14:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Just because an engine is designed to do duty north south does it make it more reliable ? hmmm
I was only refering to the fact that the Car Gearboxes cannot be used in the Super Ace even if Tata wishes as the configuration is different. The point is that the Gearbox is a North South Unit and specific to Super Ace.

I have absolutely no claims on engine reliability improvement due to configuration change.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 17:45   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Atleast going by the trend the Tata super ace is not selling in chennai .. the dost is a big hit and i do not see any mahindra max as well .
One of the reasons of Dost being popular in Chennai is that AL is based in Tamil Nadu(Hosur). It is even more visible in and around Hosur but less in Bangalore. The home company factor comes into picture and also the customer feels confident of getting service in case of any issue. On a similar note I have rarely seen Dost in nothern states.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 4th May 2013, 20:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
Knowingly hijacking the thread:

A north south gear box and East west gear box can always be same but for the removal of differential and so a different casing.
Same Gear box - input shaft, counter shaft - gears, cones and rings can as such be used in both config.

By quoting this I dont mean, both Indica and Super Ace gear box are same but that is not like the case its impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
... On a similar note I have rarely seen Dost in nothern states. Just my 2 cents.
Not rare but actually its not possible see, as they are yet to be launched in Northern states.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 4th May 2013 at 21:02.
Old 4th May 2013, 22:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is even more visible in and around Hosur but less in Bangalore.
I beg to differ. There are quite a few DOSTs running in Bangalore. DHL has a small fleet. You can find quite a few DOSTs in KR Market, Malleshwaram side.

Last edited by silversteed : 4th May 2013 at 22:48.
Old 5th May 2013, 09:06   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Not rare but actually its not possible see, as they are yet to be launched in Northern states.
I have seen a few of vehicles in Odisha, may be they got from outside. I don't remember their registration numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I beg to differ. There are quite a few DOSTs running in Bangalore. DHL has a small fleet. You can find quite a few DOSTs in KR Market, Malleshwaram side.
Exactly what I was trying to saying. Dost's numbers are much much more in TN, Hosur onwards than in Bangalore even though Hosur is close to Bangalore. I say this because I traveled to Madurai-Kodaikanal-Ooty a couple of weeks back and have observed this.
Old 7th May 2013, 09:56   #29
BANNED

Quote:
One of the reasons of Dost being popular in Chennai is that AL is based in Tamil Nadu(Hosur). It is even more visible in and around Hosur but less in Bangalore. The home company factor comes into picture and also the customer feels confident of getting service in case of any issue. On a similar note I have rarely seen Dost in nothern states.

Just my 2 cents.
Not quite really .. but going by the general mentality of the people .. I can tell you sometimes a vehicle is bought because it belongs to a particular brand . Even on Team bhp you find people telling you just because it is a Tata or a Honda you can never go wrong with the choices .
But in real life a lot of factors go into choosing a vehicle . First for a lcv buyer finance is very important . Most of the times the choice is with the "marwadi " who chooses to finance what percentage for which vehicle . A financier might choose to finance 50% for Tata and say 80% for dost based on resale values .
The next choice is influence of the mechanics and peers . Factors like easy of serviceability , availability of parts etc make up for the rest of the stuff .
From what I have see AL people just get to the basics of marketing . They just understand what is the requirement of the market and are proactive to the changing needs of the vehicle buyers .
Old 7th May 2013, 10:42   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear trivedishivam - I will not comment on which vehicle you should buy but I will be watching this thread very closely, thanks.

Dear SAE40 in veins - reference your comments on linkage to passenger cars, Super Ace has a passenger version too. The top end vehicles come with dual AC, the rear unit being roof mounted. It will be interesting to know Dost's lineage in this regard.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks