Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 11:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Super Ace versus Ashok Leyland Dost

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Atleast going by the trend the Tata super ace is not selling in chennai .. the dost is a big hit and i do not see any mahindra max as well .
The same in Kerala also. Do not see many Super ACEs. I dont think it is because DOST is superior. In Kerala you see lot of ACEs, much much more than DOST. Customers, dont have any compelling reason to go for Super ACE, as more or less the same can be achieved with ACE itself (with little bit over loading). So even those who consider Super ACE in the beginning will end up buying ACE and try to save some money. That is the reason Super ACE is selling less. Leave the difference in spec for a sec, in reality, for practical purposes you need to compare ACE+Super ACE nos together with DOST and see where it stands.
Old 7th May 2013, 17:26   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
The same in Kerala also. Do not see many Super ACEs. I dont think it is because DOST is superior. In Kerala you see lot of ACEs, much much more than DOST. Customers, dont have any compelling reason to go for Super ACE, as more or less the same can be achieved with ACE itself (with little bit over loading). So even those who consider Super ACE in the beginning will end up buying ACE and try to save some money. That is the reason Super ACE is selling less. Leave the difference in spec for a sec, in reality, for practical purposes you need to compare ACE+Super ACE nos together with DOST and see where it stands.

It would be unfair to compare Ace+super ace nos with dost . The ace and super ace are from 2 different segments . But , I still think dost sells much more than ace and super ace put together in chennai as of now
Old 8th May 2013, 19:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear SAE40 in veins - reference your comments on linkage to passenger cars, Super Ace has a passenger version too. ...
Super Ace and Venture and looking alike from front face, but below the floor they are completely different. Venture is a proper car like monocoque, but actually shares the power train of Super Ace / Indica.

This in my view is, extremely frugal in terms of investment for a new platform as well as coming out with product for appropriate segment.
This is also another hall mark of Tata motors, which is deployed from its CV expertise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Dear, why are you hell bent in proving Dost is not selling well nor need not sell well.
Though Ace/ Maxximo (Sub 1T) and Super Ace/Dost/Maxx Truck are adjacent segment products, there is a gap in the volumes and markets they target. That's one reason the sub 1T segment is more than 30% larger in size. SO its no surprise you see more Ace. Infact for 1 Super Ace/ Dost, Ace sells 4 times.

There may be a course correction where both these segments meet each other. THis will happen when more and more hub and mini spoke model develops inside the city.

We like or don't like Dost has emerged as a market leader in the market where it is sold. Plz check the link here

Quote:

Ashok Leyland ‘Dost’ completes one full year of operations • Over 34,900 sold in just 12 States • Bags export orders from SAARC markets
A true measure of its success is the fact that Ashok Leyland ‘Dost’ has already emerged as the market leader with a market share of 19% (all India) in its 2-3.5T category. With the help of an entirely new dealership network equipped with modern infrastructure that is already 100 strong, the Company plans to progressively offer ‘Dost’ pan India as well as feed the overseas markets.
Also I wish to tell that, I recommended Dost only for its performance and not with its sales chart, as sales is not only the measure of product success.
Old 8th May 2013, 22:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Dear, why are you hell bent in proving Dost is not selling well nor need not sell well..
I think you have mistaken. I have not said Dost is not selling. I said, i could see large number of Dosts on Kerala roads, much more than Super ACE. But comparing the Dost nos with Super ACE will not give the correct picture. Many who start with Super ACE, end up buying ACE even though they are from different segments and totally different vehicles. Nos will be different, once AL has a model below Dost, then comparing total of vehicles with < 2 Ton payload will be a better comparison.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 12:25   #35
BHPian

There are several possibilities. The real fun will be when Mahindra manages to turbocharge their 900 cc Maximo engine. If that engine manages around 45 HP or so, we will see a Maximo Plus in an intermediate segment emerging between the Ace and the Super Ace/ Dost which obviously will eat from both ends.

Another possibility is Dost engine minus one cylinder fitted in a category below the Dost but definitely more powerful than the Ace.

Lets keep tuned to this place for more.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 16:35   #36
octaneoverdose

Though I am constrained from revealing my sources, I can share what I know. The Dost has the cabin from a old generation Nissan lite-van/truck. And the engine is a chop job on the original four pot. So if you are thinking they'll bring it down to two cylinders, I doubt if they will.

The torque is probably because of the odd number three cylinder phenomenon. And AL, Nissan guys have put their heads together to get something robust.
  (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 13:29   #37
BHPian

Dear All,

I need to purchase a vehicle to carry scrap and make deliveries for my factory. The vehicle needs to be able to carry upto 2 tons of material in real world conditions. I am thinking of the AL Dost or the Tata Super Ace. Since these are not rated for that sort of pay-load do I have other options? The cheaper the better. I am looking for something in the approximate price range of these two vehicles.

Thanks!

imp
Old 31st January 2014, 14:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneoverdose View Post
Though I am constrained from revealing my sources, I can share what I know. The Dost has the cabin from a old generation Nissan lite-van/truck. And the engine is a chop job on the original four pot. So if you are thinking they'll bring it down to two cylinders, I doubt if they will.

The torque is probably because of the odd number three cylinder phenomenon. And AL, Nissan guys have put their heads together to get something robust.
IMHO, CV segment looks for performance & ROI over aesthetics a.k.a. looks. Whether it is a cab from old NISSAN truck or not is not going to matter in the field. I don't understand the chop job you are talking about. As well more the cylinders, better distribution of the torque. I think you have not gone through the engine genesis in TML. Will give you the details in the next post.
Though I'm neither owning DOST nor SUPER ACE, I had an opportunity to drive both the vehicles for a reasonable distance. My observations are, the utilities of the trim is better in SUPER ACE. Rest all areas SUPER ACE is no match to the DOST.
Old 31st January 2014, 14:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Dear All,

I need to purchase a vehicle to carry scrap and make deliveries for my factory. The vehicle needs to be able to carry upto 2 tons of material in real world conditions. I am thinking of the AL Dost or the Tata Super Ace. Since these are not rated for that sort of pay-load do I have other options? The cheaper the better. I am looking for something in the approximate price range of these two vehicles.

Thanks!

imp
I think you should look at the cheapest variant of Tata 407 called 407 Pickup. Dost and Super Ace might be more fuel efficient but can't match the sturdiness of 407 combined with easy serviceability. Some material from TM website:

Quote:
The Tata 407 Pickup comes with a payload of 2.25T which offers nearly double the payload of any other pickup vehicle in the market. Thus customers do not face any hassles of overloading. Further, the Tata 407 Pickup gives customers the benefit of a relatively small turning circle radius of 5.5m which, along with an overall length of only 4700 mm, helps in maneuverability even in narrow lanes. The inherent ability of this vehicle gives the customer an opportunity of carrying 2T loads for longer distances, which translates to more business. The Tata 407 Pickup comes with a service interval of 20,000 kms enabling the customer to spend less on maintenance. The legendary 407 platform with 3 years / 3 lakh kms warranty gives confidence and assurance of extended life. The Tata 407 Pickup comes with a competitive price which gives the benefit of almost the same EMI, similar down payment making it an attractive business proposition.
No, I'm not connected with TM!
Old 31st January 2014, 15:34   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
I think you should look at the cheapest variant of Tata 407 called 407 Pickup. Dost and Super Ace might be more fuel efficient but can't match the sturdiness of 407 combined with easy serviceability. Some material from TM website:

No, I'm not connected with TM!
Thanks Direct Injection,

Yes the 407 would be ideal, but the cost seems to be prohibitive at 7+ on road in Bangalore. It may not be possible to stretch the budget to this point. Any suggestions? Used does not really make too much sense to us since we have a 3.5 lacs KM+ Qualis and don't wish to risk being in a position where both our industrial purpose vehicles are out of commission at the same time.

Thanks

imp
Old 31st January 2014, 17:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Yes the 407 would be ideal, but the cost seems to be prohibitive at 7+ on road in Bangalore. It may not be possible to stretch the budget to this point.
Is that the price of 407 Pickup? It is claimed to be cheaper than the regular 407, as the TM press release suggests.
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:13   #42
BHPian

@ imp

Why don't you look at a pick up also. The Xenon Rx and Bolero Maxx are good options and can take 2 ton load without complaints. Both will be in the region of 5-6 lacs i guess.
Old 29th September 2015, 09:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

We are looking for a pickup exclusively for our cattle farm use in Kerala and shortlisted Bolero Pickup and Leyland Dost. It may be used to transport cattle as well.

Learned from few unreliable sources that Dost has some axle problem. Any thoughts on this? What you guys recommend given the requirement is above?

Currently we share a Bolero pickup with our cousin and no issues so far.

Thank you!
Old 29th September 2015, 11:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
We are looking for a pickup exclusively for our cattle farm use in Kerala and shortlisted Bolero Pickup and Leyland Dost. It may be used to transport cattle as well.

Learned from few unreliable sources that Dost has some axle problem. Any thoughts on this? What you guys recommend given the requirement is above?
As per a driver who used to drive a Bolero Pik-up (carrying toddy from Chittur area to down south) and recently moved to less risky transport using Dost, the latter is more nimble even in overload, gives him stellar FE (expected, considering the 1.5L engine vs the 2.5L (?) of the Bolero) and more comfortable. Due to a transverse leaf spring set-up at the front, extreme overloading is not tolerated like in solid-axle systems of Ace, unless you add an extra leaf or two. But under normal loading like in your case (I assume), it's not at all a worry.

Check out this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...xperience.html

Concerning maintenance, please do check with the local AL Light Vehicles dealer. TVS, which is the dealer for AL ICVs and HCVs, is only marginally better than Tata service stations, to put things in perspective.

Last edited by silversteed : 29th September 2015 at 11:12.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 21:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Its not a problem with axle, its the independent axle which was available in Dost doesn't allow to add leaf's. Now, you have Dost 2.85T, which comes with front leaf springs.
This has a GVW of 2850Kgs and Payload of 1600Kgs, which is morethan 400 Kgs what Bolero can officially carry.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks