Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 18:42   #1

Tata Super Ace versus Ashok Leyland Dost

Hello fellow members,

Please help me out in deciding between the 2 vehicles.

My need:

A vehicle to use in our company. Definitely not commercial use.

We are into manufacturing of UPVC windows ,which is light in weight, but dimensions are big sometimes (around 10 feet long). We need to install these windows on customer sites ( independent bungalows, office etc). So we need a vehicle which can carry these windows along with the installation team.

Since 15 days, I am doing research on the light SCV and have come to a conclusion that Super Ace and Dost can serve my criteria.

Real trouble

Both Tata and AL dealers fight against each other for their own vehicle. But I can't find genuine unbiased review / comparison about these vehicles. We are first time commercial vehicle buyers.

What I would like to have

- Long term reliability
- Good service back up
- Fuel efficiency
- Resale value
- Value for money

I hope Team-BHP will help me to solve my queries.

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2013 at 14:23. Reason: Way too many spelling & grammatical errors. Correcting
trivedishivam is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th April 2013, 21:59   #2
BHPian

re: Tata Super Ace versus Ashok Leyland Dost

Welcome to Team BHP.

In the extended family we have three vehicles of the 0.75-1T category. A Mahindra Maxximo, the Ace (old) and very recently the AL Dost.

For

- Good long term reliability I take it as 3 years or so - Ace is Proven, Dost is Yet to be Proven
- good service back up - the Ace/Super Ace is very well supported in most areas. The Dost is also supported by most AL service centres.
- good fuel efficiency - In real world situations both return almost same FE. However, the Dost does tend to give slightly better FE- just slightly.
- good resale value - Ace - It is the highest selling 0.75- 1ton vehicle.
- good value for money - Again the Ace. It is cheap to maintain and service. Easlily takes load.

Another thing to consider would be ability to turn easily in tight spaces. the Ace is better than the Dost because of the front overhang being less.

On personal experience grounds the Ace is what I would choose. We picked up the Dost purely because we got a good deal. The Maxximo is more of a service centre friend because it tends to have engine issues - since sorted.

The Dost however does have the benefit of being a newer vehicle. But reliability wise, I will rate the Ace.
torquecurve is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 07:24   #3

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2013 at 14:24.
Old 27th April 2013, 09:42   #4
BHPian

I put the money on DOST. Super Ace came out because DOST is eating the big chunk of pie in the 1T range. It has CRDI engine with A/C option. The front overhang can save occupant incase of crash. Tata and Leyland were in commercial heavy vehicle sector for a long long time so I dont doubt their ability with the engine. Super Ace looks like ACE on steroid but DOST looks proper LCV
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 10:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivedishivam View Post
Hello fellow members
The Load Body of both these vehicles is less than 3 meters so there will be a decent portion of overhanding window. Take into account the loading height as the glasses will also be huge in width.

Good long term reliability: Both ALL & TML will be great on this front.
- good service back up: Again depends on your location. Just chat with a few existing owners of these vehicles and find the ease of repair-ability - for both in YOUR neighbourhood. BUT if going for DOST then take into account common rail INJECTOR costs.
- good fuel efficiency: CRDI will be better in this one
- good resale value: it mostly depends on load body state
- good value for money: ask the existing owners 2 more things: 1) FE, 2) Tyre life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
I put the money on DOST. Super Ace came out because DOST is eating the big chunk of pie in the 1T range.
SuperAce was launched way earlier than DOST.

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post. We have corrected the post this time.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2013 at 14:24. Reason: Quoted post edited
turbospooler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 15:06   #6
BHPian

Re: Tata Super Ace versus Ashok Leyland Dost

Considering your requirements.

1. More of personal use type than heavy commercial use - Super Ace ergonomics are far superior to Dost and being a 4 cylinder engine, NVH is also better.
2. Length of cargo carried - Dost Load body length : 2500mm, Super Ace : 2630 - Super Ace has an additional load body length of 130 mm which might be helpful since you have longer cargo.
3. Do you live in a BS III town/ City - If the answer is yes, buy the Super Ace TCIC BS III and service the vehicle at a much lesser cost(Dost only comes with CR engine). If the answer is No (which means BS IV), there is nothing to choose between the Dost and Super Ace as both will have CR engines where you lose the flexibility of servicing anywhere.

If you have a larger share of highway use in full throttle operation, the Dost with a snout in the front and mildly tuned engine can give more peace of mind. For a larger share of city operation, the Super Ace with superior acceleration and car like ergonomics and feel will be a better option.

Whatever you choose, pls do not forget to let us know and also an ownership experience
SAE40 in veins is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 20:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
Considering your requirements.

1. More of personal use type than heavy commercial use - Super Ace ergonomics are far superior to Dost and being a 4 cylinder engine, NVH is also better.
2. Length of cargo carried - Dost Load body length : 2500mm, Super Ace : 2630 - Super Ace has an additional load body length of 130 mm which might be helpful since you have longer cargo.
3. Do you live in a BS III town/ City - If the answer is yes, buy the Super Ace TCIC BS III and service the vehicle at a much lesser cost(Dost only comes with CR engine). If the answer is No (which means BS IV), there is nothing to choose between the Dost and Super Ace as both will have CR engines where you lose the flexibility of servicing anywhere.

If you have a larger share of highway use in full throttle operation, the Dost with a snout in the front and mildly tuned engine can give more peace of mind. For a larger share of city operation, the Super Ace with superior acceleration and car like ergonomics and feel will be a better option.

Whatever you choose, pls do not forget to let us know and also an ownership experience
I think I have started leaning towards Tata super ace , it will be very helpful if some actual users can give some review or comment
Old 27th April 2013, 20:32   #8

Quote:
Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.
Thank you so much for your comment , I will make sure that this will not happen next time. Also very happy that TBHP is very much concern about the quality of the forum.
Old 27th April 2013, 23:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are into manufacturing of UPVC windows ,which is light in weight, but dimensions are big sometimes (around 10 feet long). ...

What I would like to have

- Long term reliability
- Good service back up
- Fuel efficiency
- Resale value
- Value for money.
Your prime need is a larger load body and hence you should choose either Dost or Super Ace.
Ace HT doesn't fit your bill as, these two are having upto 25% (Dost at higher side) larger load body compared to Ace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
In the extended family we have three vehicles of the 0.75-1T category. A Mahindra Maxximo, the Ace (old) and very recently the AL Dost.
For
- Good long term reliability I take it as 3 years or so - Ace is Proven, Dost is Yet to be Proven
At any point I am not comparing Dost and Ace as these two are completely different in terms of power / operating range / product positioning etc. Comparison should be only with Super Ace and Dost.

Dost is more than a year old since launch. There are more than 35000 Dosts sold last year. This is much more than the Super Ace which is sold pan India as against the Dost sold only in 9 states. Now Dost stands as second in the Market share next to Mahindra Maxx truck. This is also pan india against Dost's limited sales. With in the states its selling, it has overtaken the existing one as the Market leader.

In case of Commercial Vehicles, reliability is much sensed in quicker terms. Dost has far exceeded this levels. You may need to wait for only the durability terms. But I will not question that considering the way its going strong day by day in sales.

Quote:
However, the Dost does tend to give slightly better FE- just slightly.
The most significant reason for Dost selling good is FE. This is not just slightly but more than 3 to 5 kms compared to Super Ace.

Quote:
Another thing to consider would be ability to turn easily in tight spaces. the Ace is better than the Dost because of the front overhang being less.
You are not giving a correct picture.
Dost is not Semi forward design and is only a pseudo design and has no impact in the TCD.
Super ACE - 10.2m
Dost - 9.6m
Dost has a lesser TCD by around 600mm, which is considerable.

Quote:
On personal experience grounds the Ace is what I would choose. We picked up the Dost purely because we got a good deal.
You mean to say, you have got higher discounts than Super Ace.
I am being following up both these trucks and from the day one Super Ace is available with discount upto 40000. At any time Dost was not attractive in initial price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
SuperAce was launched way earlier than DOST.
Super Ace was not launched way back, it was only a matter 3 months between super Ace and Dost. Also it was available only in BS III and no BS IV. Dost was the first BS IV complied one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
The other part is Dost has a wider load body of 1620mm compared to Super Ace's 1460mm.
So overall load body area of Dost is at 4.05 Sq.m aganist Super Ace's 3.83Sq.m.

Its to be understood that if the Cargo is little lengthier also it can be accommodated by opening and locking the tail door. But in case its wider ( or in this case another panel can be carried) there are no option. So a wider load body is more advisable.

I would also like to quote the reliability issues that came out in the Super Ace. There were many engine failures reported and it severely affected sales and that was one reason discounts where offered to clear the initial stock. The reliability is way ahead for Super Ace. Sales chart says about this.

Alternatively Dost was a runaway success and it immediately picked up momentum due to better fuel performance, better pick up and most importantly ride comfort.

So my recommendation is only Dost.

But any case you buy Super Ace also, plz come out with a complete thread of ownership and buying experience.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 27th April 2013 at 23:56.
Ashley2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 16:59   #10
BHPian

Dear trivedishivam,

Given your consideration set you could also have a look at the Mahindra Bolero Maxxi Truck. It has similar pay load capacity & is a trouble free product.
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 18:48   #11
BHPian

STATUTORY WARNING: Over-loading is illegal and is bad for your vehicle!!

Having said that, DOST is supposed to be a better performer under over-laden conditions
ajman28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 20:49   #12
BHPian

At any point of time i'll choose the Dost only. Its not that i own a Dost but the way it performs simply amazes me. You can take my word, its not easy to chase a Dost with your car. After driving both Super Ace and Dost, I have always felt that the Dost is not a conventional CV but more of a Car like CV. The independent wish bone in the front makes the cabin ride comfortable where as the Super Ace which i had driven was more truck like and it returned a lot of bumpy ride too.
The cargo loading area seems more or less the same for both the vehicles. So do the power even though in figures Super Ace stands more powerful.
Again the availability factor. You will have to be in the que to get a Dost where as for a Super Ace the length of the que will be comparitively smaller.

From what i heard from the owners, not a single one has ever complained about the Dost and thats why being a banker, I am having a lot of enquiries for funding Dost rather than the Super Ace.

Choice is yours.
urzdeepu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 06:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapnilNalavade View Post
Dear trivedishivam,

Given your consideration set you could also have a look at the Mahindra Bolero Maxxi Truck. It has similar pay load capacity & is a trouble free product.
It is out of my budget that's why not considered.
Old 1st May 2013, 14:58   #14
BHPian

Dost is a 1.25T and super ace is 1.0T.
Dost 58Hp and supar ace is 70Hp.
Dost has a max torque of 16.1 kg- m@ 1600-2400rpm.
Super ace's torque is missing in the brochure.
super ace has better gradability and max speed 125kmph dost 90kmph.
Dost Turning radius is lesser compare to super ace.
Dost has the comfort of AC at an extra cost.
Dost has more number of variants to select and BS III and BS IV engines.

Last edited by i.1979 : 1st May 2013 at 15:01. Reason: wrong info added
Old 1st May 2013, 16:47   #15
BANNED

Ask your self if you want to buy a vehicle which has an engine , gearbox and chasis made for a lcv or if you want to buy a LCV derived from a car engine and gearbox

The Dost is a true lcv .. super ace is a lcv with a car engine and a gearbox .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks