Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 00:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors loses MHCV market share, Ashok Leyland gains!

Tata's battle in the commercial vehicle sector is getting tough day by day. Though its a known fact that when competition heats up, the market leader's market share will be eroded but not this early. The landscape is still to shape up for competition but even before that Tata sees some decline in MS. But still it retains the title, No.1 commercial Vehicle maker in India with over 55%.

In bus segment, Ashok Leyland continues to lead with over 50% MS in the M& HCV and around 18% MS in the ICV bus segment.Here its to be noted that, inspite of the fact that Eicher is growing in M&HCV segment AL retained its leadership in the over all bus market due to the fact that it has seen some considerable sales growth from its ICV buses - Stag and Lynx.

Tata continues to lead in ICV segment with its Star bus with around 40% followed from Eicher and SML.

Here is a news article
Quote:
The FY13, marked by sharp contraction in demand for medium and heavy commercial vehicles (MHCVs), turned out to be a bad year for market leader Tata Motors.

The automaker lost its market share in both truck and bus segments. But, the second-biggest player Ashok Leyland managed to boost its share in truck segment, while retaining No. 1 position in the bus segment
http://www.mydigitalfc.com/news/tata...-all-gains-811
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 08:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors loses MHCV market share, Ashok Leyland gains!

Funny, on my recent trip to Pune and beyond, I could swear all the trucks I saw were Tata ones. There was one Volvo parked on the side of the road, next to a Tata Prima, but other than that every truck we encountered was a Tata truck.
Old 1st May 2013, 08:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Once all the Cochin private city service buses used to be of Tata make and now that has changed and Ashok Leyland had slowly and steadily made not inroads but started sweeping away the Tata ones. Almost all the new ones are Al buses. Mofussil buses continues to be AL except a very very less number which can even be counted in your fingers.
Old 1st May 2013, 19:57   #4
BANNED

AL dominace is more because of its gearbox , clutch and steering . Tata cannot be a market leader with a product which is essentially a 1950 mercedes platform .

AL seems to be more proactive to the changing market conditions and they adapt their business plans with what the market wants rather than sell what they have .

Everything said and done .. i do not like the current gen of AL engines .. I have a feeling the best engine ever manufactured by AL was their 400 series

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks