Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2013, 07:00   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
-A couple of pointers from my side . Last time I took this train it took nearly 7 hours 30 minutes from Chennai to Bangalore. Lack of shoulder space made it even more horrible. -Too many stops in between , it must be a non stop train between the two cities. -They could have added more charging points.
Yes I am in the train to Bangalore at platform level. I am seeing person waiting outside and wonder how she rather her passenger(s) will fit in the 2 or even 3 seater. On the head room and knee knocking against front seat in the most reclined position, I am six footer then did not find that an issue.

Bottom line, you have to be not more than 70 kg, less than 6'2" and get in 2 seater Otw choose another train.

Yes it can be cleaner.

Cheers
Old 10th November 2013, 11:18   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
have to do is replace the current seats with bigger ones and a better design that will allow for more luggage space under the seats.

It is tough to be a tall big built person in India. These trains aircraft etc are designed for a smaller build.
I suffer all the time when sitting in our aircraft, even Indigo. Flying business class is madness in terms of the cost.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 14:16   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Experience with the Chennai <-> Bangalore Double Decker Train.

Should have read Team-BHP before booking. Booked a Tatkal ticket from Katpadi to Chennai on this train - 2.5 hours. Have my 3 year old with me - is he expected to sit on my lap? I hope the 2.5 hours go past quickly!
Old 20th April 2014, 12:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

The trip was actually quite good. I wish I could have booked a separate seat for my 3 year old. But for 2 adults with just hand luggage, we would have been quite comfortable
Old 20th April 2014, 12:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The trip was actually quite good. I wish I could have booked a separate seat for my 3 year old. But for 2 adults with just hand luggage, we would have been quite comfortable
My wife found the leg space in DD a bit cramped unlike the leg space in Shatabdi. And she is not a tall person. Imagine the condition of a 6 ft person.
Old 20th April 2014, 12:24   #51
J.Ravi

Me and my wife experienced mosquito menace, when we had travelled from Bangalore to Chennai in the lower deck. But, we didn't find mosquitoes in the upper deck though.

Old 23rd April 2014, 07:04   #52
BHPian

Just two words from my side - never again. Posting this while travelling to Bangalore. Being eaten alive by mosquitoes; getting a back ache and feeling claustrophobic.
Old 3rd September 2014, 12:22   #53
BHPian

I absolutely hate double decker train presently running in our part of the world. There is absolutely no shoulder room, no leg room and the condition of the coaches are deplorable.
I remember spraining my shoulder traveling from Delhi to Chandigarh.. Absolutely horrendous.
Old 4th September 2014, 17:56   #54
BHPian

All coaches are tested for safety and we do have a safety board which certifies coach design, track design (curve, gradient, etc). While, I know we all think about the Railways as a problem child it is actually the other way round.
The Indian railway network has a massive turnover in terms of people and freight it moves. Passenger traffic accounts for a very little amount in terms of profits (actually the railways lose money on some key networks). Most of the money is in freight.
Having said that, the idea of Double deck trains, while for most of us is irritating (less legroom, less shoulder space, etc) is a great feeling for most of the populace.
If people don't complain about the shoulder space/legroom/knee room in an Alto (largest selling car in India by a long shot), it is because of two reasons - cost effectiveness and the innate ability of Indians to 'adjust'.
The Garib Rath concept is actually very popular - though there is one extra compartment of berths added, making it cramped. Because the general populace gets to travel in the what is considered as otherwise reserved for the upper middle class, namely Air conditioning and that 'premium' feel.
We Indians tend to look at things from an outsiders perspective. We are a country where a car is still a 'status' symbol.
Take a survey of people who travel by the double decker - most will say they are happy with the 'comfort' and the 'pleasure' of travelling in air-conditioning at a lower price.
It is simple - you get what you are willing to pay for. If the railways can make some money while at it, well they will do it.
For the 'elite' class, travel by Rajdhani, Shatabdi or AC 2T or better still take a flight.

The LHB (Alstom) coaches are built for 160Kmph and are typically used for Rajdhani/Shatabdi trains which do touch these speeds in some sectors. However the MPS for areas with people present (railway crossings, stations) is typically in the range of 60-110 kmph, and our well populated country has enough of these. The slowing down and accelaration of the train takes up at least 5-7 kilometers, which accounts for the 'slower' average speeds. Most trains however still use rakes designed for 130kmph speeds - which further reduce these speeds. An Average speed of 60 kmph (for most passenger trains over 300 km distance) is actually great - if you calculate the time it takes for road travel which is almost the same.

I know this sounds like a bit of a rant but frankly it is the truth.

Last edited by torquecurve : 4th September 2014 at 18:07.
torquecurve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 19:57   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
All coaches are tested for safety and we do have a safety board which certifies coach design, track design (curve, gradient, etc). While, I know we all think about the Railways as a problem child it is actually the other way round.
The Indian railway network has a massive turnover in terms of people and freight it moves. Passenger traffic accounts for a very little amount in terms of profits (actually the railways lose money on some key networks). Most of the money is in freight.
Having said that, the idea of Double deck trains, while for most of us is irritating (less legroom, less shoulder space, etc) is a great feeling for most of the populace.
If people don't complain about the shoulder space/legroom/knee room in an Alto (largest selling car in India by a long shot), it is because of two reasons - cost effectiveness and the innate ability of Indians to 'adjust'.
The Garib Rath concept is actually very popular - though there is one extra compartment of berths added, making it cramped. Because the general populace gets to travel in the what is considered as otherwise reserved for the upper middle class, namely Air conditioning and that 'premium' feel.
We Indians tend to look at things from an outsiders perspective. We are a country where a car is still a 'status' symbol.
Take a survey of people who travel by the double decker - most will say they are happy with the 'comfort' and the 'pleasure' of travelling in air-conditioning at a lower price.
It is simple - you get what you are willing to pay for. If the railways can make some money while at it, well they will do it.
For the 'elite' class, travel by Rajdhani, Shatabdi or AC 2T or better still take a flight.

The LHB (Alstom) coaches are built for 160Kmph and are typically used for Rajdhani/Shatabdi trains which do touch these speeds in some sectors. However the MPS for areas with people present (railway crossings, stations) is typically in the range of 60-110 kmph, and our well populated country has enough of these. The slowing down and accelaration of the train takes up at least 5-7 kilometers, which accounts for the 'slower' average speeds. Most trains however still use rakes designed for 130kmph speeds - which further reduce these speeds. An Average speed of 60 kmph (for most passenger trains over 300 km distance) is actually great - if you calculate the time it takes for road travel which is almost the same.

I know this sounds like a bit of a rant but frankly it is the truth.
Great post there!

I was also at the loss of words by reading this thread which has nothing but rants about this double Decker train!

Guys, the Indian railways has a huge social obligation in terms of moving the poorest of the poor in our country. So, by compromising a few inches of seating space, if the railways can accommodate more passengers per coach, then what is wrong in it ?

I for one will tell you guys to have a look at the DD which runs between Mumbai and Ahmedabad and you will notice that it is a big hit, the travelling junta gets an extra train on this super saturated route (runs in huge WLs even during off peak seasons) with an AC facility, this is just great!

I feel that, it is nothing but the inherent habit of cribbing at everything thrown at us which leads to these rants.

Regards
Dieseltuned

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks