Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2013, 14:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: April 2015: ABS compulsory for commercial vehicles in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Step in the right direction.
My question : How does ABS react on bald tyres?
Exactly my fear. I think it will result into lower static friction. Which means ABS will kick in early and the stopping distance will increase. Might do more bad than good.
Old 20th May 2013, 18:11   #47
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, but like ever has other field that has progress and advancement as a motive is overtaken by another of cost cutting and compromises backed with an ever increasing quotient of creativity.There is a parallel industry where in older trucks have their body, engine et tout swapped with a new one whereby the insurance premium and some surcharges are saved on as opposed to a new truck.Forgot the list but there are some substantial benefits that they manage to reap keeping some new replacements. Now i only have heard this through a relative who has a small trucking business, the reason i believe this is because you still keep seeing shiny and well maintained trucks- with registrations like tcs,tcy,crq that ideally should have been at their fag end
Old 20th May 2013, 21:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Exactly my fear. I think it will result into lower static friction. Which means ABS will kick in early and the stopping distance will increase. Might do more bad than good.
Well i think bald tyres will defeat the purpose of ABS, since wheels might get locked up.
Old 26th May 2013, 08:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
Welcome move. Along with ABS, Power Steering should be made compulsory for commercial vehicles if not all. I pity those drivers. It would increase the cost not more than 30k but definitely benefit the drivers.
AFAIK power steering is mandatory for Heavy Commercial vehicles (16T and above) since about 10 years now.
Autokrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 11:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
Welcome move. Along with ABS, Power Steering should be made compulsory for commercial vehicles if not all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autokrat View Post
AFAIK power steering is mandatory for Heavy Commercial vehicles (16T and above) since about 10 years now.
Adding to that, it's difficult to get drivers for Medium CVs, if they are not fitted with power steering systems. I'm referring to the mini-buses and Ecomet/LPT1112 type trucks.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:47   #51
BHPian

Quote:
ABS only kicks in at the point when the wheels start locking right?
Unless configured to kick in early, right?

If the former, then why would it result in the stopping distance increasing ?
The stopping distance would still be less than if there was no ABS and the wheels locked up, as far as I can see.

Can you please clarify this.
Old 27th May 2013, 22:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
Exactly. And bald tyres lock in early.

Quote:
Unless configured to kick in early, right?
That is called poor calibration. Something most professional reviewers complain of.

Quote:
If the former, then why would it result in the stopping distance increasing ?
The stopping distance would still be less than if there was no ABS and the wheels locked up, as far as I can see.
Can you please clarify this.
OK. ABS does not reduce stopping distance. It increases it. So why is it used. So that you can steer while the car is skidding by preventing skidding.
Old 28th May 2013, 09:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless configured to kick in early, right?....
Quote:
...OK. ABS does not reduce stopping distance. It increases it. So why is it used. So that you can steer while the car is skidding by preventing skidding.
At any point ABS reduces the stopping distance. When the wheel locks stopping distance increases and eventually you cant steer. ABS prevents both.
ABS does not come into picture until the whell locks.
Old 28th May 2013, 09:53   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly. And bald tyres lock in early.

OK. ABS does not reduce stopping distance. It increases it. So why is it used. So that you can steer while the car is skidding by preventing skidding.
So lets assume we have two CV's with balding tyres, one with well calibrated ABS [Truck 1] and one without ABS [Truck 2].

What you're saying is that under hard braking, Truck 1's ABS will result in a greater stopping distance. Whereas, Truck 2 will experience a skid and will stop sooner.

If what you're trying to say is that ABS only helps being able to turn under braking, then that's incorrect.

Wheels locking up will always result in greater stopping distances than wheels not locking up.
Old 28th May 2013, 11:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If what you're trying to say is that ABS only helps being able to turn under braking, then that's incorrect.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_anti-lo...aking_distance
Old 28th May 2013, 11:55   #56
BHPian

Unless all 4 wheels gets ABS, it wont be effective as it is usually the rear which skids out for LCV's especially when they are unladen. Really confused as why it happen's since brake bias should be more towards the front wheels (in cars it's like 70-30). Anyone?
Old 28th May 2013, 12:33   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I don't doubt that they also give the driver control under threshold braking.
It does reduce braking distances on tarmac / concrete roads or other high traction surfaces, definitely not by a negligible amount though.
But on gravel / ice roads or whatever, Braking is faster when the wheels lock up and dig into the surface.
Old 6th June 2013, 08:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

While it's a step in the right direction, why are the current regulations not being enforced? There's virtually no traffic cop who would monitor the overall condition of the trucks. I only keep reading in the newspapers about the Mumbai cops' drive against overloaded vehicles, but I see at least a few trucks/tempos every day which are dangerously overloaded and the cargo has tilted to a side.

Non-functional brake lights are another hazard, simply being ignored by the traffic cops. The tail lights are often hidden by the iron grill added to the rear of the vehicle. I now suspect the purpose of the grill is not to improve the look of the vehicle, but to mask the tail lights so that no one discovers they aren't working. The grill often also hides the number plates.

Then there's the menace of these vehicles driving in the right-most lanes all the times. Even in the recent accident on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway, nobody wants to question the traffic cops as to why the tanker was driving on the right-most lane. If the tanker had been driving in the left-most lane, surely this tragedy could have been averted?

What is required is the cops in charge of the roads must be made accountable for such lapses. It seems they are earning salaries without doing anything to earn it.
Old 18th June 2013, 20:08   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
There is no reason why CV manufacturers are behind Govt. for not implemnenting ABS. This is not a certification or regulation where in they don't get anything for the investment they make to get / pass certification/ regulation.
In case the ABS is made mandatory even before 10 years, the same will be passed on to customer like what is to happen now.

For your info, there are many other regulation where Govt. is pushing these companies. Newly launched OBDII, JNnurmII are some of the examples.
I beg to differ on this regard. The CV manufacturer's (especially the big 2) have been the primary reason for delaying the implementation of ABS across all segments. I don't understand why this reluctance considering the fact that they will directly pass the costs to the end customer.

It's pretty much the same scenario in cars too.

The SIAM debate on ABS being made mandatory started way back in the 90's and it is sad that there still has not been a consensus on this among the OEM's. Yes, the cost of vehicle would go up but so will the safety!

Very often the argument I hear from people for not opting an ABS vehicle is that "Our road conditions will anyway not let me drive more than 60 or 80"!!

I wish I could show them the video of what happens to a vehicle without ABS on a wet road at speeds less than 50! (unfortunately I still can't find the video, else I would have posted it here).

A note to some of the earlier posts claiming that ABS increases the stopping distance: THIS IS A MYTH.

ABS does not increase the stopping distance (except maybe in ice & gravel). It prevents the wheel from locking up. A locked wheel will skid; thus increasing the stopping distance and also decreasing maneuverability.

Last edited by ajman28 : 18th June 2013 at 20:12.
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
I beg to differ on this regard. The CV manufacturer's (especially the big 2) have been the primary reason for delaying the implementation of ABS across all segments. ...
Some news item regarding the same..

Quote:
Some analysts, wishing anonymity, have pointed out that foreign truck makers are more open to the move while Indian ones are uneasy
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20697847.cms

Most Viewed