Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 10:54   #1
BHPian

April 2015: ABS compulsory for commercial vehicles in India

Looks like the Road transport ministry has finally woken up and made ABS mandatory for all commercial vehicles to hit the roads from 2014. Already existing vehicles will be exepmt from this rule though. More info here.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/fa...-2014/1116938/

A good move by the ministry and lets hope that this gets percolated to the passenger segment as well.
racer_ash is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 11:22   #2
BHPian

re: April 2015: ABS compulsory for commercial vehicles in India

While it is a good move..the details are still murky. My questions

1.Does it cover only HCV or includes LCVs as well?
2. Is it going to 2 Channel ABS or more? More importantly would it cover all wheels?

Last edited by DWind : 17th May 2013 at 11:25.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 11:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

The move is welcome, it would be better if they make the ABS mandatory requirement to get a yellow / taxi plate.
govigov is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 12:36   #4
BANNED

Something is better than nothing. At least, government is getting serious towards safety and may we hope it is not long that safety wont be considered as luxury in India.
Old 17th May 2013, 12:41   #5
BHPian

A welcome move or rather a high time necessity for such a decision. Am really scared to drive on highways when there is a truck in front of me ! I imagine a skid and it's just final destination movie that i play in my mind during those times

thumbs up to what you said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The move is welcome, it would be better if they make the ABS mandatory requirement to get a yellow / taxi plate.
sajusherief is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 13:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

WHY isn't it mandatory for every vehicle out there??? I am always scared when an old Santro or something tails me and I try braking as early and softly as possible in such situations just so that they don't rear-end me
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 13:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

ABS is mandatory in Tractor and Hazard goods carrying vehicles. Now this is getting standardized.
But why not passenger cars?
Ashley2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 13:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thats some good news although a bit late, it should be been made mandatory a decade ago. I seriously hope this does not end up in Red tape like the speed governor issue which I recollect was also to be made mandatory. So next is what Airbags??
Old 17th May 2013, 13:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thats some good news although a bit late, it should be been made mandatory a decade ago. I seriously hope this does not end up in Red tape like the speed governor issue which I recollect was also to be made mandatory. So next is what Airbags??
Very likely that this will also end up like the speed governor, that was made mandatory on all commercial vehicles. I don't think there is a single commercial vehicle on the road, with a speed governor that works and all law enforcing agencies turn a blind eye toward the hazardous way of driving by these heavy vehicles. The problem is we already have laws in place to check lawlessness on the roads, but there is no will to enforce these rules.

In Europe, none of the manufacturers can sell a car without ABS and airbags, even the base models, as these are mandatory by European specification. It is a shame that European companies like VW, who swear by their commitment to passenger safety continue to sell cars that cost upward of 10L, without ABS and airbags. Cars like Comfortline Ventos. Even the new much acclaimed Honda Amaze has ABS and airbags only in the top end version. Correct me if I am wrong. Even though, many manufacturers have started taking the Indian customer more seriously, they have still a long way to go. Unlike the EU, our Government agencies cannot be expected to look after the customers interests that seriously. None the less, it is a good beginning and soon ABS and airbags should become standard equipment in passenger cars also. Considering the number of lives that will be saved, it will be worth the additional cost. You cannot put a value to human lives in terms of rupees or dollars.
premc44 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 13:45   #10
BHPian

Its a very good move from the Transport ministry. The condition of trucks on our roads have been deplorable in terms of safety. Have we ever seen truck drivers wearing a seat belt? Its because they seldom care about safe traveling. So does the truck owners, they are just bothered about transporting goods from point A to B irrespective of the condition of the truck, fitness of the driver and condition of the road. Bringing in ABS in my opinion may not do too many wonders but, it is a right direction in enforcing road safety in our country.
Manzone799 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 13:47   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Superb move ! Two Points:

1. Every CV should have clearly marked labels, stickers & instructions around the driver area. Preferably, training at the time of delivery too. Lack of training could make some drivers actually take their foot off the brake pedal, thinking something's wrong

2. As Ashley said, what about cars? No need for discussions & consultations with the industry. The Government should be firm like it was for Bharat Stage emission norms, revised excise duties etc. Drop the bomb, I say! Or, is it that the CV sector is more mature than passenger cars?

Last edited by GTO : 17th May 2013 at 13:49.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 13:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
... I seriously hope this does not end up in Red tape like the speed governor issue which I recollect was also to be made mandatory
This may not go like that, as its going to be fitted OE. But no one tend to fix it right if it does'nt function and will continue to run without ABS.
But speed governors are a big joke especially in markets like Kerala.

Last edited by GTO : 17th May 2013 at 13:50. Reason: Fixing broken quote
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 14:08   #13
BHPian

A welcome change in a rather stupid trend. I hope this gets enforced and it must percolate to the consumer or personal LMV segment. High time manufacturers give us safety as a part of the package. As Ashley said, speed governors are all a joke. last thing i want to see on a road will be a bus/lorry doing a 'tokyo' drift.

Hope the next thing in the pipeline is airbags and last but not the least, lane enforcement. Everyone is everywhere on the road these days.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 17th May 2013 at 14:10.
Old 17th May 2013, 14:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is definitely a step in the right direction but these Commercial Vehicles especially trucks MUST also have a regular maintenance certificate something like the pollution certificate. I say this because recently I have been on a couple of road trips that included night time driving and all the trucks is saw seemed to be visible only because of their reflectors. The brake lights themselves, simply don't work again neither do the indicators which makes tailing them extremely dicey :/

Oh and yes, this should also extend down to privately owned cars too
Old 17th May 2013, 14:15   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

2. As Ashley said, what about cars? No need for discussions & consultations with the industry. The Government should be firm like it was for Bharat Stage emission norms, revised excise duties etc. Drop the bomb, I say! Or, is it that the CV sector is more mature than passenger cars?
No maturity thing here.
The CV sector has fewer number of players who do not want ABS. Many players already have this in their world products.
OTOH, SIAM has many manufacturers, who earlier even tried to market seat-belts as a luxury feature, available only if you pay 1 lakh extra for a higher variant.
Now they use the same trick with ABS. Want a car with ABS? Buy our blinged out high end version for 2 lakhs extra.
No ways they will budge.
Unfortunately, their hold on the govt is too strong for comfort, and we consumers suffer.
tsk1979 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks