Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2013, 16:06   #1
BHPian

Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory

15 years ago, India had luxury buses but it evidently didn't feel luxurious. That is when the Scandinavian truck giants, VOLVO set up their plant somewhere outside Bangalore. Who guessed that Volvo would then go on and transform the way we traveled from place to place. It not only did make the best luxury coaches in the country but also changed the way people traveled within the city. Volvo, today celebrates their 15th year in India and has braced themselves for another 50 years of innovations in road transport.

I was fortunate to attend their 15 year celebrations that took place at their truck factory premises in Hosakote, Bangalore. I also got an opportunity to take a walk inside their truck factory and also meet some of the members from their senior leadership team. Here are some of the snaps from the 15th year celebration (P.S: The clarity of the pictures are not so great)

The senior leadership team and board members arrive in Volvo trucks.
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-execs_arrive.jpg

The CFO arrives first in the Red Volvo FH
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-execs_arrive2.jpg

Volvo Construction Equipments(VCE) director - Mr. Muralidharan arrives in an articulated Hauler. He was cheered the most by the crowd.
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-vce_director_arrive.jpg

Red carpet welcomes the dignitaries on to the Dias
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-leaders_arrive.jpg

Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-leaders_stage.jpg

Mr. Phillippe Divry, Pres. and CEO Volvo India Pvt. Ltd.(VIPL) inaugurates the show by lighting a lamp - also, seen with him are the 2 factory Workers Union Chairman and vice-chairman.
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-lighting_lamp.jpg

The senior management executives are invited to the stage with flowers and bouquets.
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-senior_mgmnt.jpg

VIPL president and CEO, Phillippe Divry addresses the gathering. He re-iterates that In spite of tough competition in both truck and bus segments, Volvo are miles ahead of their closest rivals and will continue to march forward as leaders in quality, innovation and technology in truck, bus and construction equipment industry.
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-vipl_pres.jpg

The official logo for the 15th year celebration was unveiled by the senior management. The celebrations will go on till September 2013.
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-logo_unviel.jpg

Name:  15th year.png
Views: 9628
Size:  100.1 KB

A walk through their truck Assembly unit

A new order from the Bangalore fire brigade is almost done - Volvo FM
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-fm_fire_brigade1.jpg

Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-fm_fire_brigade2.jpg

Another FM 440 10x4 dumper in assembly line
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-fm_prod.jpg

Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-volvo_10x4.jpg

That say's it all !!
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-says_it_all.jpg

FMX assembly line:

Inviting us - a new FMX about to leave its home!
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-fmx_ready.jpg

a new FMX is getting dressed !
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-fmx_prod_line.jpg

Electrical wiring in progress for a new FMX
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-fmx_wiring.jpg

A new FMX goes for a paint job
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-fmx_paint1.jpg

view inside the paint shop
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-fmx_paint_shop.jpg

FMX: having a peep inside
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-fmx_interior.jpg

Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-fm_interior.jpg

The X-treme Volvo is ready to roll - see the 2 front axles working in unison.
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-fmx_taggeable_axles.jpg

I could not upload couple of photo's from the various parts used like the New FMX Engine (imported from Sweden) and also the i-shift gearbox(from Sweden) due to some confidential obligations. I will get permissions and upload them at a later time. I really wanted to visit the their Bus factory - but, due to time constraints my trip was cut short. But here are couple of snaps from their Prototype shop.

Bangalore city - brace yourself, Euro 4 is here. They informed me about a bulk order received from Gujarat transport corp.
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-b7r_euro_4.jpg

A Volvo 9400 multi-axle B11R undergoes some tests for brake pressure variations on rear wheels.
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-b9r_test.jpg

I spent most of time at the Volvo customer Demo center - No wonder why customers prefer this brand !
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-vce_demo.jpg

An excavator simulator - an advanced play station.
Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-simulator.jpg

That's all i have for now! I am a little disappointed for not carrying a good camera to shoot them. It was one of my dreams to visit their plant once. Now, the hunger is just more for my second visit. My team at Volvo is planning for another comprehensive visit some time next month.
Manzone799 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 01:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory

I remember visiting the Volvo bus factory around 4 years ago and seeing the trucks parked in the adjacent compound and wanting to go there instead.
The new design trucks are amazing and best looking among other players.
thank you for the photo report.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 09:35   #3
BHPian

@Manzone799
Was there any talk about the new fascia or headlamp arrangement for the buses too?
Ideally the design language should address all products.
Old 10th June 2013, 10:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
@Manzone799
Was there any talk about the new fascia or headlamp arrangement for the buses too?
Ideally the design language should address all products.
They did not mention specifically about the headlamp arrangement. But, they are really reaping high returns from the Buses India Division and are looking forward to invest more in this segment. That is precisely why that they have created 3 separate facets for Volvo India Pvt. Ltd. - i.e., Group Trucks Operation(GTO), Volvo Buses India(VBI) and Volvo Construction Equipments(VCE). That would enable them to independently give more emphasis on developing world class city buses and coaches.
Old 13th June 2013, 21:27   #5
BHPian

Where was Mr. Passey? 15 year celebration without the bus head? ??
Old 14th June 2013, 17:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Where was Mr. Passey? 15 year celebration without the bus head? ??
Because Volvo buses are not part of celebrations as they entered only in 2001.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 22:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing!!

were there any FH16 around. Its still considered the most powerful production truck in the world.
Old 21st June 2013, 06:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Thanks for sharing!!

were there any FH16 around. Its still considered the most powerful production truck in the world.
No, there weren't any FH16 anywhere around. In fact all these models of FH, FM and FMX were still not the latest models that were unveilled in european markets. I really wanted to see a 700 hp FH16. But, the max. Power of a truck that volvo has in India is 480 hp Volvo FH.
Old 21st June 2013, 22:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
No, there weren't any FH16 anywhere around. In fact all these models of FH, FM and FMX were still not the latest models that were unveilled in european markets. I really wanted to see a 700 hp FH16. But, the max. Power of a truck that volvo has in India is 480 hp Volvo FH.
i have seen some fh16 on highway. Used as ballast tractor hauling huge factory equipment. They must me privately imported right??
Old 22nd June 2013, 06:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i have seen some fh16 on highway. Used as ballast tractor hauling huge factory equipment. They must me privately imported right??
Yes, those might have been privately imported. Guess you are the lucky one, there might just be one or two FH16's in India . Even the Volvo Trucks Unit at Hosakote don't have one to showcase. I would love to see more such trucks on Indian roads. State of art technologies like Emergency braking system, I-see and I-shift can take trucking in India to another level altogether!
Old 13th September 2013, 22:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo's 15 years celebration culminates in celebrations today.

Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-20130913_144824.jpg

Report: Volvo India's 15th Anniversary celebrations @ the Bangalore Factory-20130913_154505.jpg

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks