Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2013, 11:38   #1
BHPian

MSRTC - Luxury Buses in Mumbai for Corporates

Here's in a nutshell -

Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation plans AC buses for corporates in Mumbai

After launching the first point-to-point AC bus service for corporates between Kandivli and BKC on Thursday, the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) plans to introduce more such buses for office-goers in Nariman Point, Dadar and Lower Parel. The buses have CCTVs, LCD screens, Wi-Fi and laptop chargers.

Is this a dream ? No its a reality. Finally, the transport dept seems to be understanding the travelling woes in Mumbai.

The decision on routes seems to be well-thought unlike the BEST which fell right on their noses due to poor planning while running AC busses.

MSRTC has kept the rates very high, but looking at the facilities provided I think they are reasonable. More than the facilities, it is the peace of mind which you get when you travel in such large vehicles in a city like Mumbai.

I only hope they maintain the condition of the vehicles and also instruct their staff to be polite and considerate unlike all other public trasports in the city.

Full story -

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21028772.cms

Last edited by TaurusAl : 12th July 2013 at 11:46.
TaurusAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 12:54   #2
BHPian

re: MSRTC - Luxury Buses in Mumbai for Corporates

The news item mentions the charge of Rs 5600/- per person per month for transportation. I am not sure if a person will want to pay this much if he can get the fuel bills reimbursed and have the convenience of leaving the home rather than going to the bus stop for catching the bus. Nevertheless, some fresh breaths of ideas coming forth from the transportation authorities must be applauded
Old 18th July 2013, 19:03   #3
BHPian

Re: MSRTC - Luxury Buses in Mumbai for Corporates

Saw this corporate shivneri on the WEH yesterday evening. seems like they have converted one of their shivneri from the Pune fleet for this service. There were hardly 4-5 people in the bus.
the pricing is very steep. A 140 Rs to travel from Kandivali to BKC. Read a story in TOI today that they have slashed the fares to 100 one way as a promotional offer.

Not sure how this will fair, but seriously BEST needs to rethink its AC route strategy. When theother tranport corporations are moving towards Volvos the BEST is still stuck with Ceritas and no hope for a Volvo bus in sight in the near future.
Old 19th July 2013, 00:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

If BEST cant order buses directly under JNNRUM due to cash crunch or some reason, they must take some buses on Dry lease from private operators just like MSRTC does for Volvos and other A/C buses in their fleet.

If anyone of you have travelled to Mumbai in the recent 1-2 years, you would've noticed some BEST King long buses being used for transit inside the airport. Their condition cosmetically looks light years ahead to the ones which we see on the road.
Old 21st July 2013, 01:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Saw this corporate shivneri on the WEH yesterday evening. seems like they have converted one of their shivneri from the Pune fleet for this service. There were hardly 4-5 people in the bus.
the pricing is very steep. A 140 Rs to travel from Kandivali to BKC. Read a story in TOI today that they have slashed the fares to 100 one way as a promotional offer.

Not sure how this will fair, but seriously BEST needs to rethink its AC route strategy. When theother tranport corporations are moving towards Volvos the BEST is still stuck with Ceritas and no hope for a Volvo bus in sight in the near future.
Fare is not encouraging in any way. If the AC routes doesn't fetch adequate patronage then the project will not be feasible in the near future. They can easily extend Kandivali starting point to Mira road for better utilization.
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:19   #6
BHPian

Other routes that the MSRTC can explore are

1. Gorai to Powai (Hiranandani)
2. Borivali to Mahape
3. Thane to Panvel
4. Borivali to Mantralaya and Thane to Mantralaya
5. Oshiwara to Powai/ Vikhroli for east-west connectivity
6. Andheri lokhandwala to Mantralaya
6. Thane to BKC
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:31   #7
BHPian

MSRTC to reduce fares of Shivneri Corporate in Mumbai

The Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) has reduced fares of point-to-point bus service also known as Shivneri Corporate from Rs 140 to Rs 100 between western suburbs - Kandivali to Bandra Kurla Complex. The reason behind this move is believed to be low patronage to the service.

Source -

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/18622...rate-in-mumbai
Old 1st August 2013, 23:24   #8
BHPian

http://www.shivnericorporate.com/

Here is the website. People can register online to travel. Currently there is only one route. Hoping they come up with more routes quick.
Old 5th September 2013, 13:13   #9
BHPian

Any updates on these buses ? are they still running ? I haven't spotted them on WEH in the past couple of weeks!
Old 11th September 2013, 15:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

One additional route that can be explored is Dahisar Checknaka to Mantralaya. With the discontinuation of AS70, MSRTC can make good profit on this route.
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:31   #11
BHPian

Have they spruced up/modified the interiors in any way?
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

I believe Indians are a pathetic breed.
They want world class facilities at Indian rates.

I was talking to a colleague from the Netherlands who told me that his monthly bus package is about 110 Euros (for about 20-25 km home to office distance) . What he gets is almost the same as what is written in the article. The only thing extra he gets is the time since it takes him about 15-30 min to reach home/office (no traffic jams, fast expressways).

If I see this clearly, a person in Mumbai would be easily spending about 5000-10000 Rs in fuel bills for his vehicle. What is the issue in paying similar (at lower end) amount to the bus operator?
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I believe Indians are a pathetic breed.
They want world class facilities at Indian rates.

I was talking to a colleague from the Netherlands who told me that his monthly bus package is about 110 Euros (for about 20-25 km home to office distance) . What he gets is almost the same as what is written in the article. The only thing extra he gets is the time since it takes him about 15-30 min to reach home/office (no traffic jams, fast expressways).

If I see this clearly, a person in Mumbai would be easily spending about 5000-10000 Rs in fuel bills for his vehicle. What is the issue in paying similar (at lower end) amount to the bus operator?
The issue with not wanting to pay a similar amount IMO is that you lose the benefits of point-to-point connectivity that an own vehicle provides. This would be a major drawback for me. Not sure about Mumbai, but in Bangalore for example, there is a complete absence of good quality reliable and safe "last-mile" connectivity, and this is the biggest challenge to any public transportation system in the premium segment.

Most Viewed