Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2013, 13:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ashok Leyland to launch Dost Express passenger van and CNG version shortly

To me it's like those 207 pickups modified to carry Security personnel - some seats and a crude body work on what was supposed to be the loading bay.

I doubt AL would roll out something like this out of the factory.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 16:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Is this the factory built coach for the passenger section?

This seems to be an aftermarket build using the current Dost pick up chassis and hence the rough workmanship. Come on AL you guys can do better than this and hope that this is not built off your factories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
This looks like the body was built at a Body Builder soon after the vehicle was purchased, hence the registration.
Really doubt if AL will roll out a body like this for mass production.

Regards
When i saw this first, i thought the body work was done by some local workshop in Madurai. I tried to click few more pics, but the workshop guys came in and they moved the vehicle suddenly. Didn't get a chance to talk to them.

To be specific, body built quality is not good. i hope the original version which AL is planning will come up well.
Old 20th September 2013, 17:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Some updates:

The body-shell isn't being built by ALL. ALL dealerships will take orders and provide cowls to one of three selected body-builders - one each in MP, Karnataka and Anthony in Navi Mumbai who will build it. ALL has designed the body-shells and these body builders will construct it to specifications and standards. ALL doesn't have the assembly line to handle such kind of body-shells which is why it has been outsourced.

The process is simple. Customer places order for a passenger version at an ALL dealer, the half-cowl is sent to the body-builder from ALL who prepares with the body and delivers it to dealer, who in-turn hands it over to customer. Just like in the bus business.
Revvmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 20:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ashok Leyland Dost Express passenger van coming next month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
Saw this guy yesterday in Madurai..
Saw this same contraption in white colour displayed at the Dost dealership at Edappally, Kochi today evening. So this one is AL original.
Old 20th September 2013, 21:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

If that contraption is what Leyland will sell as the passenger carrying version of the Dost, all I can say if I see that as a public carrier I wont get on it. I would much rather walk.
Old 20th September 2013, 21:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

But still the AL website does not mention a thing about this contraption and is yet to be officially named.
Now I got answer to the question on why AL is not venturing into the passenger car market.
Indian Auto Blog saya that this version can seat 14 passengers.
Attached Thumbnails
Ashok Leyland to launch Dost Express passenger van and CNG version shortly-dost.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 20th September 2013 at 21:44.
Old 21st September 2013, 02:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Now I got answer to the question on why AL is not venturing into the passenger car market...
In case they may be the Tata way in getting outpaced from market.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 10:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Saw this same contraption in white colour displayed at the Dost dealership at Edappally, Kochi today evening. So this one is AL original.
When I initially saw Dost (before it could make a mark in sales) I was not really impressed with its looks. My choice wrt looks was always Tata Super Ace,very cute and most proportionate.
But when Dost started to sell in big numbers my theory on - looks is not a key user factor in CV was reiterated. But now I strongly feel the look maybe a factor in buyers choice. One may look at Dost Express only for the reason for higher pax capacity which no vehicle is currently offering in its size.
In case if this doesn't click the reason could only be aesthetics as the performance is already proven.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 21st September 2013 at 10:21.
Old 21st September 2013, 10:30   #24
BHPian

Dost Express seems to be a concept. Hope it remains so. Otherwise it is only an alternative to "share auto"!
This vehicle is found displayed at Dost showroom at Trivandrum. The dealer does not have any information about the pricing etc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dost.pdf (165.8 KB, 537 views)
Transsenger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 18:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Dost Express seems to be a concept. Hope it remains so. Otherwise it is only an alternative to "share auto"! ....
I dont think even when matured will be pitted aganist full size passenger carrier. If not perfect atleast suitable only for share auto. I also think a space for 14 seater in share auto segment is vacant.
Old 21st September 2013, 19:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I dont think even when matured will be pitted aganist full size passenger carrier. If not perfect atleast suitable only for share auto. I also think a space for 14 seater in share auto segment is vacant.
A large size "share auto" like a 14 seater has some limitations. Share autos mostly run on fixed fares. Thus the autos need to be reasonably full to keep the profits up. And passengers dont like a share auto to wait for too long, so that it can fill up. At peak times a large capacity 14-seat share auto may be a good idea, but for the rest of the time it becomes a liabilty.

I remember talking to a Minidor operator in Pune a few years back. He was complaining of this exact problem. He said for most of the day he would operate with on average 3 people on board, while at peak times he could squeeze in 12. I myself travelled for about 10kms quite a few times all alone. He said more often than not he did not make money out of it everyday, even though he owned the auto himself. He said the Piaggios were the best bet for share autos.
Old 21st September 2013, 19:19   #27
RSR
Senior - BHPian

While I'm very disappointed with the looks of the Dost Express and feel that Ashok Leyland could have done much better in creating a passenger version of the fantastic Dost small CV, I think there is a ready market for a vehicle of this size and seating capacity.

There was this contraption dished out by M&M popularly known as Maxicab - I don't know its real name. It had flat sided, box like looks, came with flat, hard and uncomfortable seats, was powered by noisy motors (one was a 3330cc Simpson diesel engine) and had a suspension that could put a bullock-cart to shame when it came to providing a rock-hard ride quality. Still it was very popular as a people mover. The Ashok Leyland Dost Express could prove to be an excellent choice for those who are looking for a replacement for this vehicle:

Ashok Leyland to launch Dost Express passenger van and CNG version shortly-image.jpg

The Mahindra Maxicab really had pathetic seats and a nasty, bone jarring ride quality

I hope Ashok Leyland have provided comfortable seats and a plush, absorbent suspension on this vehicle

Last edited by RSR : 21st September 2013 at 19:22.
Old 21st September 2013, 22:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

If the contraption that's mentioned in that brochure is what AL's planning to roll out, then I'd say it's seriously a wrong way to make a people mover.

I'd stay away from this and won't even think of travelling in one. The Tata Ace Magic or M&M Maxximo are far better.
Old 23rd September 2013, 02:17   #29
BHPian

Goodness gracious, I think the only use for this contraption on wheels is...

1. Mobile fast food/ice cream vans
2. Mobile government vans for public awareness programmes
3. Hearse vans.
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Just as I was saying a 14 seater on something like the Dost seems like overkill, Tata seem to have come up with exactly the same thing on the SuperAce platform.

Take a look at the SuperAce Angkot, made for the Indonesian market and showcased at the Indonesian auto show IMS 2013. This is a 14+D seating passenger carrier, which even has a 19in LCD screen in the back for entertainment.

Ashok Leyland to launch Dost Express passenger van and CNG version shortly-11.jpg

Ashok Leyland to launch Dost Express passenger van and CNG version shortly-12.jpg

Hope Ashok Leyland take note and try to make a proper passenger version of the Dost.

Pic and story Courtesy: Indian Autos Blog

BTW, those seem like Innova tail light clusters on the SuperAce Angkot.

Last edited by julupani : 23rd September 2013 at 19:55.
julupani is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks