Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 12:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Quadricycles could become a part of the Indian roadscape from October 2013

Link to News Section

While Bajaj Auto is ready to launch the RE60 quadricycle, a clear cut quadricycle policy is yet to be announced by the Indian government, leading to a delay in the launch of the four wheeler. Even as Bajaj Auto mulls an export strategy for the RE60 to make up for the delay, the Indian government could finally allow quadricycles to ply the Indian roads from October 2013. According to TheTimesOfIndia, the Indian government's law ministry has approved the changing of the Central Motor Vehicles Regulation (CMVR) to include a new category called quadricycles.

Quadricycles could become a part of the Indian roadscape from October 2013-bajaj-re60-quadricycle-1.jpg

A draft notification of this change is expected to be made public shortly, with a one month window for dissenters and suggestion makers to express their views on the same. Bajaj Auto will be one of the first beneficiaries of the quadricycle category. The draft notification is said to define various parameters that a quadricycle would need to comply with for registration in India. Both goods and passenger carrier versions of quadricycles are expected to be allowed on Indian roads.

Quadricycles could become a part of the Indian roadscape from October 2013-bajaj-re60-quadricycle-2.jpg

While quadricycles ferrying passengers are said have a maximum kerb weight of 450 kilograms, those carrying goods may have a higher kerb weight of up to 550 kilograms. A 70 Kph top speed, a capacity to seat 4 adults in case of passenger carrying quadricycles and 2 adults in case of load carrying quadricycles are the other guidelines expected in the policy. A prominent Q letter might be displayed on the front of the quadricycle, perhaps to clearly distinguish the new class of four wheelers from passenger cars.

Bajaj Auto's RE60 quadricyle is powered by a 200cc, liquid cooled four stroke engine that is said to output 16-20 Bhp. This petrol engine uses a 4 valve head with twin spark ignition (Bajaj DTSi technology). The quadricycle is said to be capable of a top speed of 70 Kph while claimed mileage is an impressive 35 Kmpl. The RE60 can seat four adults in 2+2 or 1+3 layouts. Bajaj Auto is expected to price the RE60 competitively. Also, a CNG powered version and a load carrying version of the RE60 are said to be in the works.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 5th August 2013 at 12:30. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 13:17   #2
MHG
BHPian

Re: Quadricycles could become a part of the Indian roadscape from October 2013

I wish there were rules restricting the use of quadricycles on highways, ring roads and expressways, and their categorization changed from weight limit to safety compliance. This will see 80% of so-called cars on Indian roads being called quadricycles
Old 5th August 2013, 13:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

What the heck
Bajajs have gone crazy !! Too much of ego hurt after Tata Nano success ?
When did they come up with this piece of junk called a Quadricycle ?
And when it runs on an engine, then why the name Quadri"cycle" ?? Beyond my imagination.

So, I Wiki-ed and found these two links with respect to Quadricycles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadracycle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorised_quadricycle

Now, if my memory serves me right, I had seen a car driven by Saif Ali Khan in the movie Salaam Namaste. Are Bajajs thinking of making a somewhat uglier and unsafe version of that ?

The images above, and when Googled, gives me the results which should straight away go to the Weird and Whacy thread of T-BHP. And would soon feature in the Accidents thread, if launched.
If this vehicle (or quadricycle as Bajaj loves to call it) is launched and people buy then - That day is not far when Aliens would attack us and destroy our planet.
Old 5th August 2013, 13:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
And when it runs on an engine, then why the name Quadri"cycle" ?? Beyond my imagination.
As from your quoted Wiki article, they seem to have just copy pasted the name for the European microcars segment. But I agree, a way better name for the segment was possible.

Some points regarding the Quadricycle/Quadracycle (not sure about spelling yet)
What differentiates a Quadricycle:

1. Can be used for intra-city transport (within municipal limits) only.
2. Not for personal use and cannot be driven on the highway.
3. Passenger carriers to weigh less than 450 Kg and seat 4 (including driver)
4. Goods carriers to weigh less than 550 Kg and seat 2.
5. Quadricycles to display a "Q" sign.
6. Will not need to meet crash testing norms (as they don't exist in Europe for Quadricycles).
7. Emission requirements to be same as that in Europe.
Any changes regarding rules for Quadricycles in Europe would need to be adopted in India (with a maximum lag of 6 months).

Literal copy paste. And the worst part is the quadricycle of European norms and usage is completely different from what it is supposed to be in India!
Old 5th August 2013, 13:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
a clear cut quadricycle policy is yet to be announced by the Indian government. A 70 Kph top speed, a capacity to seat 4 adults in case of passenger carrying quadricycles.
This seems like a great way for many more Indians to be able to afford safer travel. When in college, I've had at least one classmate go on a sick leave every alternate month after having a serious injury from a motorcycle accident. Sidecars are seen as too 'old fashioned' to be used by most folk, despite their fame from Sholay. Many of the CNG Maruti 800s and diesel Maruti Esteems can manage only up to 70 kph in the cities, so creating a separate class of vehicles shouldn't affect traffic by much.

BTW, will the Tata Nano be re-classified as a quad? I imagine seeing the Suzuki Twin on Indian roads, if Maruti starts to get more enthusiastic about bringing new models to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
I wish there were rules restricting the use of quadricycles on highways, ring roads and expressways
There are rules restricting the use of 2-wheelers and 3-wheelers on some, if not all, expressways. I expect the same rules to be applicable for 'quadricycles' as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Why the name Quadri"cycle"?
They would have called it a quadbike, but didn't want to compete with the likes of Yamaha Raptor and Banshee
BTW, you ought to look at pictures of the Suzuki Twin with a bodykit. The Suzuki Twin is like a bonsai version of the Chevrolet Spark, or rather a genetic cross-breed of a Chevrolet Spark with the Reva (tail lights of the Spark, bumpers from the Reva, other features that combine the Spark and the Reva).
Old 5th August 2013, 15:34   #6
BHPian

The quadricycle from Bajaj still seems way too much like a car with 4 doors, windows and all, than a proper quadricycle. It would be incredible if we could have true light weight quadricycles that could move 4 people on urban slow roads without having to invest in a full size car. Look at this lightweight beauty. Just hop in, ride, and hop out!

Quadricycles could become a part of the Indian roadscape from October 2013-quad.jpg
Source
Old 5th August 2013, 17:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
BTW, will the Tata Nano be re-classified as a quad? I imagine seeing the Suzuki Twin on Indian roads, if Maruti starts to get more enthusiastic about bringing new models to India.

There are rules restricting the use of 2-wheelers and 3-wheelers on some, if not all, expressways. I expect the same rules to be applicable for 'quadricycles' as well.

They would have called it a quadbike, but didn't want to compete with the likes of Yamaha Raptor and Banshee
Read my post above yours, answers are already there. And no they were never going to call it a quadbike.

Most Viewed