Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2013, 21:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

New INS Vikrant Launched

Indian launched its first domestically built aircraft carrier at the shipyard in Kochi, Kerala.
The Indian Navy's new Aircraft Carrier INS Vikranr was launched at Kochi Shipyard on last Monday. The launch marks the end of the first phase of construction.
However, INS Vikrant stills needs to be outfitted and extensive trials will be held in 2016 before the carrier is inducted into the Indian navy in 2018.
picture courtesy as marked
Attached Thumbnails
New INS Vikrant Launched-vikrant.jpg  

New INS Vikrant Launched-vikrant2.jpg  

New INS Vikrant Launched-vikrant3.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th August 2013 at 22:02.
rajeev k is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 03:38   #2
BHPian

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.The paint job looks great too. Remember being on board the earlier Vikrant for three days in 68. Different time, different ship altogether. But the name suggests continuity which I like. Also, this baby is all Indian! Cheers .
ramases6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 04:01   #3

Re: New INS Vikrant launched

This is a milestone in the history of our nation's military. The aircraft carrier is scheduled to be handed over to the Indian Navy by 2018. However, due to slow progress in its construction, no way she is going to be battle ready before 2020.

When fully constructed, she will be a 40,000 deadweight tonnage ship, 260 meters in length and 60 meters beam(width). INS Vikrant makes India enter into the club with USA, Russia, UK and France for making an aircraft carrier this big.

Looking forward for her completion, so that one day I can pass her clear port to port somewhere in the Indian Ocean and remember this day.
adsgill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 08:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

A great achievement despite dealing with militant Kerala Unions/ I hope once this is completed, the Navy can refit the ships over here and not get conned by the Russians big time!
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 08:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I hope once this is completed, the Navy can refit the ships over here and not get conned by the Russians big time!
Well, refitting of carriers is not something which will be needed for quite some time I would think.

For now, the INS Viraat has returned from a refit recently and is not likely to receive another. The INS Vikramaditya, which is likely to be commissioned by the end of this year, will also not likely to require a major refit for quite some time.

The next aircraft carrier job for the Cochin Shipyard will be the INS Vishal, which as of now is in design phase. This is supposed to be an even larger version of the just launched Vikrant. It will probably be India's first CATOBAR carrier, with possible nuclear propulsion.
julupani is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 09:41   #6
BHPian

I have been one of those lucky few to visit the majestic IMS Vikrant and spend a day.

May this be the start of spreading the power of Indian Empire across the oceans. Our ancestors did that in the past and we can certainly do it again. शं नो वरुणः
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 10:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A great achievement despite dealing with militant Kerala Unions/ I hope once this is completed, the Navy can refit the ships over here and not get conned by the Russians big time!
CSL has been profitable for some time now, concentrating more on ship repair and refitting where it has earned a name for itself with offshore platforms travelling quite a distance down from different parts of the world to avail of services here.

It hasnt been able to replicate that success in shipbuilding - both CSL and Hyundai shipbuilding were set up with tech expertise from Hitachi back in the '70s. Hyundai built a worldwide empire from there, churning out as many as 200 ships a year at one time. CSL remains where it was.

As for militant unions, CSL is one of the few companies where labour went on strike demanding the return of their CMD who was sacked for not "toeing the line" on the purchase of engines. The CMD in question went on to become one of India's greatest builders - E Sreedharan, now famous as the Konkan Railway & Delhi Metro guy.
Steeroid is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 11:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vikrant is the first aircraft carrier to be designed by the Directorate of Naval Design of the Indian Navy and the first warship to be built by Cochin Shipyard. Its construction involved participation of a large number of private and public firms. The keel for Vikrant was laid by Defence Minister A.K. Antony at the Cochin Shipyard on 28 February 2009.

The AB/A grade steel which was supposed to be supplied from Russia faced problems in delivery. To resolve this, the Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL) and Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) created facilities to manufacture the steel in India. Reportedly, three special steels for the hull, flight deck and floor compartments were manufactured at the Bhilai Steel Plant and Rourkela Steel Plant. Due to this, this is the first ship on the Indian navy to be built completely using domestically-produced steel.
This is indeed a proud moment for every Indian.
Feel elated because we (my company) made an important contribution to this project.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 12:19   #9
BHPian

Well it was just a PR announcement by the government in view of the Independence day. Its still years away from active duty...7 years atleast. Even after its handed over to the navy, it'll take another 2-3 years atleast.

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2013 at 11:28. Reason: PM coming up
Old 17th August 2013, 20:32   #10
BHPian

Re: New INS Vikrant Launched

Somehow I don't understand from the pics is that is the ship complete? When I say complete, it means its structure only. Somehow I feel its only half or 1/4th of the ship. It feels half of the body structure has to be joined to it from behind. I can't see the Captains cockpit which is normally a structure 5-6 stories tall to keep an eye on the complete ship.

If knowledgeable pundits could help....
Old 17th August 2013, 20:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
This is indeed a proud moment for every Indian.
Feel elated because we (my company) made an important contribution to this project.
Yes, a proud moment indeed for the country and also for SAIL. But during my MT(A) training in Bhilai, I was told that Rourkela makes flat products and Bhilai round products. So I guess the steel for the carrier must have come from Rourkela , not Bhilai.
Old 17th August 2013, 20:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Somehow I don't understand from the pics is that is the ship complete? When I say complete, it means its structure only. Somehow I feel its only half or 1/4th of the ship. It feels half of the body structure has to be joined to it from behind. I can't see the Captains cockpit which is normally a structure 5-6 stories tall to keep an eye on the complete ship.

The ship is nowhere near complete, and is not likely to be so for another 2-3 years.

The above ceremony is that of "launching" the ship, put simply its the first time it moves from dry land to water and starts floating. At this point the basic hull is complete, along with a few other components like the engines, shafts from engine to propeller, etc.
Old 17th August 2013, 21:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Yes, a proud moment indeed for the country and also for SAIL. But during my MT(A) training in Bhilai, I was told that Rourkela makes flat products and Bhilai round products. So I guess the steel for the carrier must have come from Rourkela , not Bhilai.
Good to know that you have a Bhilai connection.
I'm not aware the year you were in Bhilai, but Bhilai has a Plate Mill that produces heavy plates used in manufacture of boilers, pressure vessels & storage tanks and ship building including DMR249A grade for Naval ships on a regular basis. However, this was a special project where BSP came forward for the manufacture of the special quality steel required by DMRL.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 23:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post

@amit_purohit20.Yes amit. You are right. The captain's 'cockpit' you are referring to is the superstucture of the ship, also called the 'island' in an aircraft carrier. The carrier is yet incomplete. Apart from the construction of the superstucture, which I am sure would be in progress by now, there is still weapons and sensors integration and also the communications equipment fit. However, the hull seems to have been completed fully.
Old 18th August 2013, 05:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepc83 View Post
@amit_purohit20.Yes amit. You are right. The captain's 'cockpit' you are referring to is the superstucture of the ship, also called the 'island' in an aircraft carrier. The carrier is yet incomplete. Apart from the construction of the superstucture, which I am sure would be in progress by now, there is still weapons and sensors integration and also the communications equipment fit. However, the hull seems to have been completed fully.
NO I dont even feel the Hull is complete. It looks that the rear end is yet to be joined. I might be wrong but its just my perception.
Although my engineering common sense suggests that the hull (the structure that floats) has to be complete before its launched in the sea.

Somehow the shape of the hull itself looks odd to me especially the back end where the aircraft will start its take-off.

Most Viewed