Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2013, 20:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

PIC: Tata Ultra Truck. Already launched?

We first saw this truck at last years Auto expo. Since then no news about this trucks. But i spotted one MH12 Registered truck. Looks very European. When did tata launch this truck?
Attached Images

Last edited by GTO : 19th August 2013 at 13:54. Reason: Please avoid using SMS language on Team-BHP. Full + Proper English please
tushky is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 20:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: PIC: Tata Ultra Truck. Already launched?

Whoa!! Great catch there.

I hope they have launched. Tata do tend to launch some vehicles phase wise and not publicise it in the media at times.

Though sometimes, they also do some final testing under actual use by tying up with some actual end users. I bring it up because I think MH12 is Pune city RTO number.

With Bharat Benz launching its Light Duty trucks and Leyland coming up Nissan/Avia LCVs, its definitely time for Tata to launch its Ultra trucks.

Last edited by julupani : 18th August 2013 at 20:44.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 22:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: PIC: Tata Ultra Truck. Already launched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
We 1st saw this truck at last years Auto expo. Since then no news about this trucks. But i spotted one MH12 Registered truck. Looks very European. When did tata launch this truck?
This could either be a soft-launch, something that's done without much publicity, OR it could be one of the specimens given for end-user trials - to know how it performs in a real usage scenario
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 22:18   #4

Re: PIC: Tata Ultra Truck. Already launched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
We first saw this truck at last years Auto expo. Since then no news about this trucks. But i spotted one MH12 Registered truck. Looks very European. When did tata launch this truck?
25 of these trucks are given to privileged customers all over India to get the actual filed feedback regarding these vehicles before official launch.

Will be launched very soon...
gschandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 00:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

have seen one in white shade in mumbai too. Properly registered. they did this with the xenon pickup too earlier.

I like the LED tail lamps seen on the test mules running in pune. not sure if this one has it though.
Old 20th August 2013, 12:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Me too have spotted this one on Ghodbunder road about 3 weeks ago. I too was surprised on what brand it is and then realized it is our very own Tata. It was a proud moment back then
Old 20th August 2013, 14:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschandra View Post
25 of these trucks are given to privileged customers all over India to get the actual filed feedback regarding these vehicles before official launch.

Will be launched very soon...
Could you confirm whether these are with the new 3L and 5L Dicor engines, or the old 497 and 497SP engines??

I ask because the Starbus Ultra buses, though used the newer chassis came with the current 497/497SP engines.
Old 20th August 2013, 14:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Could you confirm whether these are with the new 3L and 5L Dicor engines, or the old 497 and 497SP engines??

I ask because the Starbus Ultra buses, though used the newer chassis came with the current 497/497SP engines.
From what i recall, it is 497/497SP was writtem on the truck.
Old 20th August 2013, 16:23   #9
BHPian

Lots of Starbus Ultra's are on the roads in Mumbai. I dont know about the engine bit. but the standard push-back seat with dual tone shade looks quite upmarket.
Old 20th August 2013, 19:27   #10

Quote:

These are with 497 VP 37 engines.
Old 20th August 2013, 21:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschandra View Post
These are with 497 VP 37 engines.
If I remember correctly the VP37 refers to the rotary FIPs, and thus no common rail system.

So this is the same 120odd hp 400Nm engine as is available with the standard Tata LCVs.

What happened to the new 3L/5L Dicor engines that were showcased at the Auto Expo, as part of the Ultra 714 and 1017.
Old 20th August 2013, 21:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I remember correctly the VP37 refers to the rotary FIPs, and thus no common rail system.

So this is the same 120odd hp 400Nm engine as is available with the standard Tata LCVs.
When BS-III versions of 407 and 709 were introduced, they became 410 and 712 respectively. I believe there were some problems with rotary pumps because 410 and 712 were abandoned not long after launch, at least here in North India.
Old 20th August 2013, 21:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
When BS-III versions of 407 and 709 were introduced, they became 410 and 712 respectively. I believe there were some problems with rotary pumps because 410 and 712 were abandoned not long after launch, at least here in North India.
When did the 410/712 etc get abandoned??? They are still there, though they are still called the 407/709. The increase in power occurred primary due to the steps taken to improve the emissions. The older lower rated engines dont meet the BSIII/BSIV standards at all.
Old 20th August 2013, 21:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When did the 410/712 etc get abandoned??? They are still there, though they are still called the 407/709.
That's news to me! So why did they go back to the old designations?

Quote:
The increase in power occurred primary due to the steps taken to improve the emissions. The older lower rated engines dont meet the BSIII/BSIV standards at all.
Yes I know. The increase in power was attributable to rotary pump? What other changes were made? I recently met a 407-refresh owner and he told me that there were issues with new pump which have been resolved in 407-refresh.
Old 20th August 2013, 22:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's news to me! So why did they go back to the old designations?
I think they went back because the older ones had more brand recall, and any change is always digested with difficulty in the Indian CV segment.

As a matter of fact, what is called the 407 today is neither a 4ton GVW nor a 70hp truck. Its either a 5.3ton GVW or 6.5ton GVW truck with a 100hp engine.

Quote:
Yes I know. The increase in power was attributable to rotary pump? What other changes were made? I recently met a 407-refresh owner and he told me that there were issues with new pump which have been resolved in 407-refresh.
Yeah, even I had heard of issues with the rotary pump, but that was quite some time ago. I am not sure what all changes were made, but I dont think it was a simple move to a rotary pump to improve emissions.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed