Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 15:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ashok Leyland introduces the "BOSS"

Quote:
Ashok Leyland, the Hinduja group flagship, commercially launched the BOSS, an intermediate commercial vehicle (ICV), that seamlessly combines the strength and ruggedness of a truck with the comfort of a car. Manufactured at the Company’s largest, state-of-the-art plant in Pantnagar, Uttarakhand, the BOSS is available in LE and LX variants. It is the perfect answer to the growing need for higher-productivity, high-performance vehicles in the ICV segment. It is being launched in the Haulage segment with 9.6T, 11.9Tand 12.9T GVW
Ashok Leyland introduces the "BOSS"-0311tonlhextrale.jpg
Quote:
The BOSS comes in 2 variants – the LE and LX.

The BOSS LE is fitted with a 120 HP H-series BS3 engine with an in-line fuel injection pump – an industry first – and a 6-speed overdrive gearbox that delivers superior mileage.

The BOSS LX has another industry-first – an Automated Manual Transmission - that eliminates the need for clutch operation and gear-shifting. The AMT will deskill the driving while offering consistent and superior fuel efficiency along with better driver comfort. Equipped with a powerful 130 HP common rail engine, the LX comes with factory-fitted air-conditioning.
Source : AL Press Release
Ashley2 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 16:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Ashok Leyland introduces the "BOSS"

IMO, either the name doesnt suit the shape / shape doesnt match the name... something wrong....
Old 12th September 2013, 16:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
IMO, either the name doesnt suit the shape / shape doesnt match the name... something wrong....
Agreed!

Quote:
The BOSS LE is fitted with a 120 HP H-series BS3 engine with an in-line fuel injection pump – an industry first – and a 6-speed overdrive gearbox that delivers superior mileage.
Is it the regular, Hino based 6 cylinder engine?

Quote:
The BOSS LX has another industry-first – an Automated Manual Transmission - that eliminates the need for clutch operation and gear-shifting. The AMT will deskill the driving while offering consistent and superior fuel efficiency along with better driver comfort.
I may be wrong but why don't they simply call it automatic transmission?

Quote:
Equipped with a powerful 130 HP common rail engine, the LX comes with factory-fitted air-conditioning.
And which engine is this?
Old 12th September 2013, 17:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
In India, automatic transmission is associated with poor mileage - something truck operators are very sensitive about
Old 12th September 2013, 18:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
In India, automatic transmission is associated with poor mileage - something truck operators are very sensitive about
I would imagine the "Automated Manual Transmission" refers to a dual clutch automatic as opposed to the traditional slush box based automatic.
Old 12th September 2013, 20:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it the regular, Hino based 6 cylinder engine?
This is 4 clylinder engine with IL pump.

Quote:
And which engine is this?
This is a 4 clylinder CRS engine.
SO in BS III AL is offering both IL and CRS with two different power rating and different features.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
I would imagine the "Automated Manual Transmission" refers to a dual clutch automatic as opposed to the traditional slush box based automatic.
Automatic transmission is referred to torque convertor, but Automated Manual Transmission refers to manual GB with automated system for gear changing.
Ashley2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 20:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

The product is largely along expected lines, with 3 main attractions thrown in.

1. Common rail 4-cylinder engine.
2. The AMT box.
3. The name.

The lower variant seems like its just an ECOMET with the Iveco based cab replaced by the AVIA cab. The top variant on the other hand at least has a new powertrain.

Among other things, the AVIA cab looks odd here as it was designed to be used on trucks with 17.5in dia wheels like those on the European AVIA trucks and the Tata Ultra series. The FURP beam is exposed in front leading to the odd front on looks.

Also, the common rail 4-cylinder engines seems a bit detuned. Considering they are offering it as a more "premium" offering why not give it a bit more power. I would think it could give out 150/160hp.

BTW does the higher variant come with the AMT as standard???
Old 12th September 2013, 20:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I think this model is based on AVIA which AL bought out.

This would be the direct competitor to Bharat Benz and TATA Ultra range.

Hope AL can improve their market share in this segment with this launch.
Old 12th September 2013, 22:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

This would be a creation by AL to compensate for the market hauled to its fold by Bharat Benz which are seen in large numbers on the roads today. The front end looks more macho vis-a-vis its own eComet range.

Last edited by rajeev k : 12th September 2013 at 22:12.
Old 12th September 2013, 23:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The lower variant seems like its just an ECOMET with the Iveco based cab replaced by the AVIA cab.
ECOMET looks better than AVIA, Why would AL do this? Since they are not using the AVIA brand name, it is not for the brand.
Old 13th September 2013, 08:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
This is not a Auto box. Automatic transmissions are very costly and result in poor mileage (wrt commercial vehicles)

The Automated manual transmission has the same components as the manual transmission except that the shifting part is completely automated based on pre defined logic.
Old 13th September 2013, 10:37   #12
BHPian

The wiper stalks are not aligned properly. This coming from a press release photos looks very glaring.
Also why don't they have rear URP beam wrap around the sides so that it protects the area between the tail-lights and the rear wheel? I always dread a 2 wheeler being tugged when it falls into that gap. It might not be required elsewhere but it is definitely required in India.

Last edited by DWind : 13th September 2013 at 10:42.
Old 13th September 2013, 14:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
The wiper stalks are not aligned properly. This coming from a press release photos looks very glaring. ...
The wipers are longer and so both can't be positioned in same level. The left one, even in slightly higher position still touches A pillar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschandra View Post
...This would be the direct competitor to Bharat Benz and TATA Ultra range.
With two new power trains Boss, will match with Bharat Benz in LX variant and with Ultra in LE variant. Currently only Bharat Benz and Boss are available with common rail engine.
Old 13th September 2013, 14:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
The wipers are longer and so both can't be positioned in same level. The left one, even in slightly higher position still touches A pillar.
I find it hard to believe. The Avia models which it is based on do not have such a misalignment. The angle of wiper stalks are different yes! but not like here where the driver's side is at an acute angle while the co-driver's side is obtuse. I feel it could have been re-engineered better. I know the quality of the blades will be different but still.
Old 13th September 2013, 16:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
T
Also, the common rail 4-cylinder engines seems a bit detuned. Considering they are offering it as a more "premium" offering why not give it a bit more power. I would think it could give out 150/160hp.

BTW does the higher variant come with the AMT as standard???
the engine is definetly a detuned engine. the same engine components (i mean hardware) can easily take in more than 20 hp without any change. but the customers should be willing to loose the KMPL for better pick up and i doubt that in haulage the customers will welcome such an idea. probably when tipper is launched it could very well come out with a 150/160 hp.

Also AMT+ AC is a standard in LX variant as of now.

Most Viewed