Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 11:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Siddhivinayak Logistics gets first Scania Metrolink intercity luxury bus

Link to News Section

Surat based Siddhivinayak Logistics Limited (SVLL), a company known for its fleet of trucks that ferry goods across the country, has entered the inter-city bus segment under the SVLL Connect banner. The company has placed an order for 120 luxury buses from Swedish commercial vehicle maker Scania, which has set up a factory on the outskirts of Bangalore. Scania, owned by the Volkswagen group, will produce trucks and buses for the Indian market from its Bangalore factory.

Siddhivinayak Logistics gets first Scania Metrolink intercity luxury bus-scania-metrolink-intercity-luxury-bus.jpg

While truck production has already commenced, the first Scania buses will roll out of the Bangalore factory from early 2014. Scania has introduced 3 inter city buses in India, under the Metrolink badge. The buses come in 3 different lengths, engine outputs and seating capacities. The Scania HD 45 variant is a 45 seater that measures 12 meters in length. Powered by a 9 liter, 310 Bhp turbo diesel engine, the bus features a 4x2 layout.

The HD 49 variant measures 13.7 meters in length and can seat 49 adults in a semi-sleeper configuration. This bus is powered by a 13 liter turbo diesel engine that outputs 360 Bhp while the driveline features a 6X2 layout. The HD 53 variant, also a semi-sleeper 6x2 model, measures 14.5 meters in length and can seat 53 adults. The bus features a 13 liter turbo diesel engine that outputs 410 Bhp.

Siddhivinayak Logistics gets first Scania Metrolink intercity luxury bus-svll-connect-scania-bus-interiors.jpg

All Scania Metrolink buses get an 8 speed automated manual transmission, measure 2.6 meters in width and 3.75 meters in height. A 465 liter diesel tank is standard on all models. Scania will initially meet SVLL's 120 bus order through completely built unit (CBU) imports. Local assembly, set to begin in early 2014, will include localization to drive down costs. Scania has plans of capturing 20% of the luxury bus market in India over the next half a decade.

Siddhivinayak Logistics gets first Scania Metrolink intercity luxury bus-svll-connect-scania-bus-pantry.jpg

The bus that SVLL has ordered from Scania costs 2.3 crore rupees and features interiors designed by Dilip Chabbria, an automotive designer and the owner of design firm DC Design. The heavy customization means that the bus can accommodate only 31 passengers. The bus will feature its own pantry and crew, who will serve passengers refreshments during the course of the journey. However, the technical specifications of this bus remain unavailable currently.

SVLL clearly seems to be positioning itself as a luxury bus player catering to passengers who otherwise would have opted for first class rail travel. The Scania bus that SVLL has inducted will also feature a rest-room, Wi-Fi, projectors and class leading space, akin to the "Sleep like a baby" Volvo inter-city bus service launched by KSRTC's Airavat. Apart from market leader Volvo, Mercedes Benz and Tata Motors are the other major players in the inter-city luxury bus segment.

Siddhivinayak Logistics gets first Scania Metrolink intercity luxury bus-svll-connect-scania-bus-exterior.jpg

SVLL's luxury bus service will connect destinations such as Mumbai-Pune, Mumbai-Surat, Mumbai-Bangalore, Mumbai-Ahmedabad and Ahmedabad-Surat initially, with a phased pan-India roll out likely to happen in the coming months. These buses will stop at exclusive SVLL bus-stops to provide standardized customer service. SVLL's inter city bus service will begin from late-October 2013.

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st October 2013 at 22:05. Reason: Changed tranny to "automated manual transmission" as per Ashley2
JayPrashanth is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 12:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Siddhivinayak Logistics gets first Scania Metrolink intercity luxury bus

Blown away by the interior. Is that what we are going to get? It looks way more comfortable and private compared to anything we have on our Volvo's. Off course; this is something that can be incorporated. The only problem I see is keeping the carpet clean. Beautiful bus.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 12:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post

The bus that SVLL has ordered from Scania costs 2.3 crore rupees and features interiors designed by Dilip Chabbria, an automotive designer and the owner of design firm DC Design. The heavy customization means that the bus can accommodate only 31 passengers. The bus will feature its own pantry and crew, who will serve passengers refreshments during the course of the journey. However, the technical specifications of this bus remain unavailable currently.
Why this vehicle is costing 2.3 crore when mutliaxle Merc and Volvo cost between 1.2 ~ 1.5 crore? Is this additional 50% is going towards DC design? My only concern is how can SVLL be competitive when they are investing on whooping 2.3 crore assest while other players pay 50% less?
Also is there any idea on the cost of company built variants that can accomodate 45, 49 and 53 adult occupants?
treadmark is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 12:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think the idea will bomb, and SVLL will cancel half the orders, and sell most of the buses to other operators at huge loss to be refitted just like the other Volvos or Mercs.

Their idea seems to be exactly what the Olivea bus was down south and it failed pretty quickly. The only advantage is SVLL is a big transport operator with lots of cash behind them and could possibly handle the losses for longer.

India is just not ready for something like this. The high initial cost will push the fares too high, leaving a very small class of people who can afford something like this. And that class of people will probably think of travelling by bus a last resort. It wont be much cheaper than a low cost flight, which will take a lot less time. It may not even be cheaper than taking a car.
julupani is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 13:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Siddhivinayak Logistics gets first Scania Metrolink intercity luxury bus

I don't think all the 120 buses ordered are going to be a DC designed verison. Probably a handful of the 120 will be on selected routes.

Exterior design looks better than Merc's bland looks and slightly above the Volvo's. Width and height looks similar to the Merc .
Waiting to see the low floor city version of Scania. If I am right, there is one on test with the BMTC, but haven't seen it yet.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 25th September 2013 at 14:17.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just look at those seats
If this version hits the Mumbai - Pune route, I will definitely give it a try.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Just look at those seats
If this version hits the Mumbai - Pune route, I will definitely give it a try.
May I ask how much are you willing to pay for it?? And I am not asking how much are you willing to pay for just to experience it once, but as a regular option.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
May I ask how much are you willing to pay for it?? And I am not asking how much are you willing to pay for just to experience it once, but as a regular option.
If I am not wrong, Mumbai - Pune route costs approximately 400-600 bucks if you travel with Neeta Travels. So another 100-200 bucks more (additional costs of food and beverage apart) should be a fair price.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

By all accounts that seems like a flagship of the fleet of 120 and a showpiece to get hearts aflutter. Surely all the 120 may not be the same way. But it's a nice way to showcase the Scania brand in India. And put it right at the heels of the established competition.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I am not wrong, Mumbai - Pune route costs approximately 400-600 bucks if you travel with Neeta Travels. So another 100-200 bucks more (additional costs of food and beverage apart) should be a fair price.
Hmm.

Lets see now , the reduction in the number of seats from 43-31, by itself will mean to maintain the same level of revenue as a standard Volvo, you will be paying about 200rs more.

But, an engine which is twice the size, in a bus which will be quite a bit heavier will mean a perceptible increase in fuel costs. Then take into account that a normal 2-axle Volvo like most other Mumbai-Pune buses costs just over a third of what these buses costs. A bus with so many features will also mean increased maintainance costs. Not to mention the cost of maintaining exclusive arrival/departure terminals, including personnel to man them.

Thus if I had to guess, a Mumbai-Pune trip will cost about 1200rs on these buses, that is if they actually want to make money off it.
julupani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 14:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Thus if I had to guess, a Mumbai-Pune trip will cost about 1200rs on these buses, that is if they actually want to make money off it.
For experiencing it once, may be people would pay that price (including me), but later choose the cheaper alternative. For 1200 bucks, one can drive down himself and save a few $$$.

If they plan a stripped down version, I would request them to get rid of the kitchen, the uber carpet, head phones etc and keep the seating the same all across their variants.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 14:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For experiencing it once, may be people would pay that price (including me), but later choose the cheaper alternative. For 1200 bucks, one can drive down himself and save a few $$$.

If they plan a stripped down version, I would request them to get rid of the kitchen, the uber carpet, head phones etc and keep the seating the same all across their variants.
Exactly, my point.

If they stick to just having the good quality seats, with more legroom, in 2x1 configuration, and add just a bit more comforts, then it could succeed. But SVLL have gone a bit overboard.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 15:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But SVLL have gone a bit overboard.
You mean SVLL has gone DC
parrys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 15:03   #14
BHPian

Though I am not sure about the economical viability of this venture, I feel it is a good start. There may be good demand for such a service. There is tremendous potential for such a venture. It may take many years to break even. In my opinion they should have started it a small basis and later expanded to full swing.

By the way now a days low cost airlines (so called) tickets also as costly as full size carriers.
Old 25th September 2013, 15:45   #15
NMS
BHPian

This bus looks good no doubt... I had read about this some time back and there were few thoughts that crossed my mind:

1.) With the lack of availability of train tickets, this can surely be a very good option. Even the air fares have significantly gone up. If the tickets are priced correctly it might just be a very good idea in the making.

2.) I am not very sure, but a first class train ticket would cost somewhere around 2- 2.5 K for a Pune-Ahmedabad journey (Approx 650 Kms. ). If I have to pay about 2-2.5 for an equally comfortable journey, why not!
As it is rail tickets arent available on short notice. Air travel is much expensive if opted for at the last moment.

3.) Driving down is always an option, but not many people are equally as enthusiastic about inter-state driving. People still prefer the older methods. Nowadays you can also see a lot of well to do people preferring the Volvos and Mercedes buses. The Neeta's charging around 1500 - 1800 bucks for a Pune - Baroda journey are almost always full, even on weekdays.

I remember traveling by bus often on 12-14 hour journeys during college days, where I could pay around 300-400 bucks. Now similar journey can be undertaken at a ticket cost ranging from 600-2000. And most of these buses run full. In short the buying power of people has also increased in that proportion, and people are not as conservative about spending on travel as they were earlier. All in all I feel if the routes are well planed this would work just fine !

Most Viewed