Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 00:40   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
AkMar
Hi
These were not King Long buses but Ceritas, made in Punjab.
A slight correction there mate. Ceritas are probably build on the king long chassis. So it is the king long for sure.
Old 20th January 2014, 09:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Public Bus Torture - In Mumbai & Delhi

Quote:
These were not King Long buses but Ceritas, made in Punjab.
Cerita is a JV between King Long and JCBL. So the buses are technically King Longs only.
Old 20th January 2014, 22:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranger View Post
A slight correction there mate. Ceritas are probably build on the king long chassis. So it is the king long for sure.
Oranger /Binaiks
Hi
Here is a link from Mumbai Mirror (Aug 29th 2012).
Only parts that were supplied.axles, ibeam frame and brake system.
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

The following is a link to the reader's response on the fraud perpetrated,includes a letter by Ms. Sucheta Dalal
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 20th January 2014 at 22:54.
Old 21st January 2014, 09:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
He is no longer heading the BEST now. He was replaced 2-3 years ago. But yes, he was responsible the most for BEST's downfall in the 2000s. The biggest blow dealt by him was Kinglongs. The buses are bleeding BEST now, with yearly losses of 93 crores as per a recent news report in a local daily.

But still, I do agree that BEST is one of the better municipal transports. But unless something is done urgently, the future is bleak.
I agree, what I wanted to highlight was the corrupt faces behind the demise and current state of BEST. The money that this Kobragade crook made, was utilized to by about 20 unauthorized/benami properties across Maharashtra, Goa, and even Kerala!!! All this was bought out when people used RTI to sniff out his famous daughter's assets.
And he was not alone, it was a wholesale feeding by him, his bosses and juniors which bankrupted BEST and made it what it currently is. We can see similar stories across all sectors the corrupt government puts its sticky fingers in, right from Shipping corporation of India, to Indian railways to Air India to BHEL.
Old 21st January 2014, 18:26   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oranger /Binaiks
Hi
Here is a link from Mumbai Mirror (Aug 29th 2012).
Only parts that were supplied.axles, ibeam frame and brake system.
Even otherwise King Long buses are built using components supplied by a variety of manufacturers across the world - like engine from Cummins, Gear Box from ZF, etc.

Cerita was indeed the result of a JV between King Long and JCBL of India - remember our FDI norms did not let foreign companies own subsidiaries in India then?

And, to be really honest, I'll take reports from any TOI group publication with sacks of salt.
Old 21st January 2014, 22:10   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Even otherwise King Long buses are built using components supplied by a variety of manufacturers across the world - like engine from Cummins, Gear Box from ZF, etc.

Cerita was indeed the result of a JV between King Long and JCBL of India - remember our FDI norms did not let foreign companies own subsidiaries in India then?

And, to be really honest, I'll take reports from any TOI group publication with sacks of salt.
Binaiks
Hi.
Information obtained under RTI would be more accurate than what you and I believe.
Whether M.Mirror is wrong or right I don't know but I am sure they would think a thousand times before stating in an article that these were not King Long buses. And there has been no denial from the BEST/ JCBL.
Let us agree to disagree. You believe what you wish and I will believe what I wish.
Regards
Old 21st January 2014, 22:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Information obtained under RTI would be more accurate than what you and I believe.
Excuse Me! Where did Mirror use RTI to find out that these were not King Longs??

A statement from the report reads:
Quote:
And this lie has been perpetrated officially and systematically. BEST refers to these buses as King Longs on its official website. King Long also appears in its official correspondence, including RTI replies. For instance, in a recent response to a Mirror RTI application, BEST said its AC fleet comprised of Volvo, Ashok Leyland and King Long buses.
So RTI is more accurate, right?

As you said, lets agree to disagree.
Old 21st January 2014, 23:44   #53
BHPian

Now let's assume the marcopolo low for buses are built on a Tata chassis. So does that mean that it's not a Tata bus? It surely is!

Same applies to the king long buses. Cerita is just a model made by the body builder JCBL on the king long bus chassis.
Old 24th January 2014, 14:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

BEST bought 200 AC buses at 25% more than market rate

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...r-shivji-singh
Old 24th January 2014, 16:12   #55
BHPian

In terms of quality of fleet of buses, BEST is definitely behind. Most of their buses are either old or badly maintained. Comparatively some of the Tata MArcopolo buses with TMT(Thane Municipal Transport) are far better in terms of ride and comfort.

Apart from that in terms of service I think BEST is far better than most of the other city bus services. Their frequencies are good on many routes. As pointed out by many members in this thread, the worst service I have seen is from TMT.

You actually become a better person by traveling in TMT buses as it teaches you lots and lots of patience (endless wait for the bus if you miss one) and forgiveness (typical govt employee type attitude of the conductors).

Lastly in both BEST and TMT, it is a crime if you are not carrying change for equivalent amount of ticket. I wonder why they cant provide change to the conductors. I have seen conductors in both these buses asking for a change of Rs. 9 if you give a Rs. 10 note to them for a ticket worth Rs.9 and some of the conductors shout at top of their voice saying "From where do i bring one rupee change for everybody". You may even be asked at times to get down of the bus if try to argue with the conductor.
Old 14th July 2014, 23:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Hyderabad some time ago and was impressed by the bus service they have, though the buses lack looks and flair of apna BEST, but they are efficient and seemed cheap to me, also they have a decent service from airport to city.

Singapore has excellent bus service, they have dedicated bus lanes and the best part - contactless payment system, which I feel can be implemented more aggressively in BEST than what is being used right now.

The number of people using it in Mumbai is very less I feel.
Old 1st March 2015, 13:52   #57
BHPian

Bus Menace in Delhi

While some of you may think this is a usual rant, I would genuinely like to express a concern. We often conclude that public transport is a way to ease congestion, and reduce long jams in overpopulated metros. However, in India's capital, as per my observations, buses are a major reason for snarls.

This observation majorly focuses on the arterial route of Noida and Delhi via ring road. As we all know, this route is signal free and lined with long and wide flyovers. Roads are extremely wide and well paved. However, everyday, there are jams that last hours.

1.Breakdowns- Lets get to a very common reason for a jam. A mighty low floor DTC bus out of order, on a two-lane flyover causing a bottle neck. This instance takes place almost 3-4 times in a week. These buses which cost upwards of 50 lakh, are incapable of handling the load when full and go kaput while climbing flyovers. Drivers don't have any alternatives, as some of the ways are flyover only, and they have to take the route. These low floor buses were introduced to modernise the fleet, but they have been plagued with major problems. Tata and Ashok Leyland haven't done a good job in making these buses, thats for sure. Strict steps should be taken against these companies.

2. Random bus stops- Bus drivers have started stopping the bus at random stops which have become common amongst passengers. For instance, one is just at the start of a two lane flyover. So, one of the lanes gets blocked, and other buses climb slowly up the second lane, preventing cars to climb up fast. And mind you, some of these stops have boards that read-"No stopping or Standing".
Considering that these occurrences take place at an arterial road of India, its a shame that organisations like CRRI are not taking steps to eradicate such problems.

3. Stopping mid road- Now I wont blame the bus drivers here, people at bus stop literally crowd the bus lane, and run towards the bus when it tries to stop in its lane. This means, instead of utilising one lane, buses essentially stop two lanes. People, instead of stopping at the bus stop, stand on the road, aiming to get in first for a seat. Now, this also happens due to the relatively low frequency of buses. (Remember, DTC has the largest CNG bus fleet in the world)

4.Erratic driving by untrained bus drivers- As we all know, only the left most lane is meant for heavy vehicles. However, buses sometimes aim to overtake, and in the process block the route for cars. It takes a very long time for the bus to overtake, which leads to jams behind them. Also, not indulging in lane driving, wherein the drivers drive in the middle of road, not letting others pass.

I am not doubting the fact that buses are indeed helpful in easing congestion, and are greener than cars. They are also very helpful for the people of the city.
However, actions such as above defeat the purpose of buses. Mind you, all these problems are easily mendable, but the authorities are either not realising the problems, or are simply ignoring these problems.
Now, I am not only concerned because it causes me to be stuck for hours. I am saying this because this stretch of road is one of the most polluted roads in India. The level of pollution here is lethal. And, if cars are let to pass freely without any jams, I am certain the amount of pollution can be reduced manyfold. Jams have negative externalities of very high order. Wastage of fuel, time, and deterioration of the environment. I express this concern because these problems are solvable. It is a pity that big steps are not being taken to resolve them. BTW, I hope their method to resolve these problems is not by setting up a BRT corridor. Its a useless concept for a country with such a high population.

(P.S, these jams have increased even more due to Barapullah flyway being under construction)
prakhar1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2015, 20:33   #58
BHPian

Prakhar, you stole my words. I feel the same way too.
Problems are a plenty with these buses, stoppages, and driving behaviour.

1. Bus drivers don't know how to restrict themselves in a single, forget driving in the left most lane. Almost all the buses I see on Delhi roads occupy 1.5 lanes, reducing a three lane single direction road to two lanes only.

2. Above causes a ripple effect, automobiles driving behind the bus try enter the right most available lane ultimately causing three lanes of traffic to merge into a single lane.

3. Drivers seem blind, they dont even stop in front of an empty bus stop, so blaming waiting passengers is not entirely justifiable, although they are cause too.

4. Autos, cabs, rickshaws, hawkers standing at the bus stop and/or next to it are to be blamed as well.

5. Cluster buses fight for dominance to earn extra and are widely seen racing with the DTC guys.

Government and authorities seem to turn a blind eye. I don't even think they are given proper training about driving ethics. Time and again new scheme are launched; Red line, Green line, Blue line, RTV, and now the Cluster buses along with DTC, but all seem oblivious to 'Lane driving is Sane driving'.
desiaztec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 03:20   #59
BHPian

Re: Bus Menace in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
5. Cluster buses fight for dominance to earn extra and are widely seen racing with the DTC guys.
Unlike the popular opinion, the cluster buses are paid per km basis. There is no competition whatsoever with DTC buses. Besides, whatever revenue a cluster bus earns goes to govt account.
If the cluster buses are in a jiffy, they are because the drivers want to finish their shifts ASAP and rest. Competition/racing with DTCs is more of an ego issue and need for speed fun(poor fellas cant afford a PS3 so do it with available resources).

OT: You would be surprised the handsome cost the govt is paying to cluster buses per km run despite cluster buses been cheaper(they are semi-low floor as compared to low floor DTCs). Rumor has it that the cluster buses are largely owned by demised Ponty Chadha and the son of the ex-CM of Delhi(the famous queen who ruled India's capital for 15 years).
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 10:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bus Menace in Delhi

Agreed on most points , i would also like to add another dimension to this which is the running and plying of such buses on smaller roads and inside residential colonies which they should have no business being in. It might have been ok at a point when traffic was far lesser and it would not make a difference but now it does.

Just this morning , Greater Kailash 1 - a full volvo passing through. Line of cars behind it because there is absolutely no scope in overtaking since it is a small road. A little ahead and another bus causing similar problems.

Getting out of home this morning we had a bus passing through the colony (owned by some hotel) and it then got stuck at the exit gate because it is a sharp right and was never designed to accommodate the turning radius for a vehicle that size - eventually all the cars behind it had to reverse and then hang around till the bus managed to make the turn.

Similarly with school buses, just because you have kids in them , in my opinion does not translate into causing a larger public problem. Back in the day when i was going to school , we used to have a fixed spot on the main road and that is where everyone belonging to that area used to get off - and post that either walk, take a rickshaw or get into a car.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks