Re: Ashok Leyland unveils the "CAPTAIN"

Captain Tipper Testing

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bbalaj...57594550390622
Old 8th September 2014, 12:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urzdeepu View Post
This one i believe is a test mule which has been given for field trials. The spec should match either with that of the U4923TT or should be based on the Neptune platform.
I would expect at least an AMT as an addition, if not anything else. Otherwise, there's nothing to differentiate between U and Captain ranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
The cab looks almost identical to that of Tata Prima. Was it designed in-house?
Most of the truck cabs are identical - Prima, DAF, MAN, and now AL Captain AFAIK, the Captain is an in-house effort
Old 15th September 2014, 12:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I would expect at least an AMT as an addition, if not anything else. Otherwise, there's nothing to differentiate between U and Captain ranges

Most of the truck cabs are identical - Prima, DAF, MAN, and now AL Captain AFAIK, the Captain is an in-house effort
You are right, the captain is a completely in house effort by ALL.

And i don't think they are going to offer AMT, it'll be a 9 Speed Manual on 2523 and on the 31 tonner.
Old 15th September 2014, 14:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3ckl355 View Post
And i don't think they are going to offer AMT, it'll be a 9 Speed Manual on 2523 and on the 31 tonner.
Apart from the cab aesthetics, what differentiates the Captain from the U series then?

I wish AL brought in more creature comforts and more powerful engines (apart from AMT) for their long-haul trucks in the Captain range.
Old 15th September 2014, 19:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Creature comforts will definitely differentiate U Trucks from Captain but not very largely. Reason being the market response for so much creature comforts in a cab, there by substantial increase in price, is very low. Prima is a very good example and it has given lot of lessons. Since launched from 2009, the overall sales of Prima is just touching 3000 Nos. This includes the complete portfolio and is not limited to either Tipper or Tractor. Prima is looking so good and Tata has given tremendous marketing campaign but it has lot attracted the mainstream buyers and was limited to few fleet owners. Its to be noted that, Prima when launched economy was flying and overall sales was few % which was unexpected. Finally Prima have to strip many features to make it to call itself as Prima LX and continue its journey. Bharat Benz have learnt from this and so has given limited features but still have given good powertrain. Similarly VE in its Pro series have given limited features only. So Captain will have new refined and improved powertrain along with new features but will not be a standard one, but will be optional as in the case of U Trucks.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 15th September 2014 at 19:13.
Old 16th September 2014, 09:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Apart from the cab aesthetics, what differentiates the Captain from the U series then?

I wish AL brought in more creature comforts and more powerful engines (apart from AMT) for their long-haul trucks in the Captain range.
As Ashley2 here points out, it is definitely the creature comforts.
Other differences include improvements in design over the u-truck in areas such as a powertrain.

IMO, You could compare it to the situation when the Hyundai Fluidic Verna came out with the existing Hyundai Accent Verna was still on sale.
Old 5th December 2014, 16:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

I could see Captain 3123 tipper also on offer, from the AL website. Apart from features offered by U-3123T, the Captain is offered with Anti-Roll bar on the front axle, and bogie suspension as standard on the rear axles.

Now there is the 3118T with G45 cab, U-3123T and Captain 3123T - a lot of options for a prospective buyer, based on requirement. Good to see the 31T U-truck and Captain offered only with a 230hp engine - on par with the Bharat Benz, MAN and Prima-LX offerings
Old 7th January 2015, 16:38   #23
BHPian

Does anybody know the sales figures of the Captain series ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks