Team-BHP - India’s 1st Flexi-Deck Train: By Maruti & Indian Railways
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   India’s 1st Flexi-Deck Train: By Maruti & Indian Railways (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/148693-india-s-1st-flexi-deck-train-maruti-indian-railways-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitewing (Post 3387171)
Yes, true. But earlier the vehicle would be assaulted once prior to delivery (trip down from the stockyard to the dealer). But now it will have to endure one more trip from the railway yard to the Dealer's stock yard.
And I assumed that the unloading would happen in the railway yard in Majestic.

Apart from parcels, there is very minimal goods activity inside bangalore city. Freight traffic is handled in whitefield goods yard or another place near Yeswantpur. The unloading of these cars is done near Dobbespet, off Bangalore - Tumkur NH4. The place is called Nidavanda as mentioned in the opening post. From what a dealer told me, this is where Maruti cars are stocked right now. They are then moved into dealer stockyards through trucks again. Hence, between dealer stockyard and dealership, and further, the car will be driven. It will be the same as before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitewing (Post 3387171)
Yes, true. But earlier the vehicle would be assaulted once prior to delivery (trip down from the stockyard to the dealer). But now it will have to endure one more trip from the railway yard to the Dealer's stock yard.
And I assumed that the unloading would happen in the railway yard in Majestic.

Even though each kilometre the dealer 'drives' it is a pain for the owner, I appreciate transporting cars in train alone - just because of its inefficiency compared to a train and the traffic problems those huge trucks create on our highways. If those trucks can be avoided for such long trips like Haryana to the South, and all the heavy goods movement be done by train, it'd be a huge step towards freeing up our highways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholic (Post 3387206)
Apart from parcels, there is very minimal goods activity inside bangalore city. Freight traffic is handled in whitefield goods yard or another place near Yeswantpur. The unloading of these cars is done near Dobbespet, off Bangalore - Tumkur NH4. The place is called Nidavanda as mentioned in the opening post. From what a dealer told me, this is where Maruti cars are stocked right now. They are then moved into dealer stockyards through trucks again. Hence, between dealer stockyard and dealership, and further, the car will be driven. It will be the same as before.

I have seen this yard and it is supposed to be one of the largest Maruti stockyards in South India. Never knew that they were transported by train.

@whitewing, Bangalore City Station is way too congested for such huge freight operation:)

A video showing Alto's being unloaded from the new automobile carrier rake at Nidavanda station near Tumkur.
The cars are driven to the stockyard on the Bangalore-Tumkur highway from were it is transported by trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuAf...TyOhoBrFj9Ms1Q

Did anyone notice the white alto in the Video which had its rear end going up and down while it was standing on the side. Usually that happens when you hand brake and let off the clutch continuously, why was the driver doing that is a mystery.

Interesting video. TFS.

This is interesting and yet painful for us motorheads. Multi-axle trucks like these overwhelmingly form the backbone of toll road revenues.

If such trucks go off the roads, then we need to pay *much* more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 3602516)
Did anyone notice the white alto in the Video which had its rear end going up and down while it was standing on the side. Usually that happens when you hand brake and let off the clutch continuously, why was the driver doing that is a mystery.

Quite sure the driver was experimenting the AMT gearbox.

They would have been given a brief of how to slot the gear and then they play around with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 3602557)
Interesting video. TFS.

This is interesting and yet painful for us motorheads. Multi-axle trucks like these overwhelmingly form the backbone of toll road revenues.

If such trucks go off the roads, then we need to pay *much* more.

I'd like to see it as 'The glass is half full'. Look at the number of trucks off the road, less traffic, less damage to road and probably lesser accidents too:)

The Alto looks like a tight fit in the upper deck. By the way I noticed a Stingray in the lower deck. I didnt know they were still being produced.

How many such rakes are present in Indian railways? And what is the capacity of say one coach? I have always liked this idea instead of sending large fleets of trucks all the way down. Trains can be run faster, cleaner and more efficiently. Moreover, if they adopt a circular route, or cater to different brands, the utilization will also be better. Does this rake transport some other brand car or runs empty to Gurgaon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholic (Post 3604136)

How many such rakes are present in Indian railways?
And what is the capacity of say one coach?
Does this rake transport some other brand car or runs empty to Gurgaon?

Three from what I have read.
Around 10-12 . Rake is 27 wagons long and has a total of 318 cars capacity.
I doubt that. For one, they have Maruti Suzuki written on the sides of the wagons.
I also saw one returning empty from Tumkur side and going towards Yelahanka.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 3604188)
T
I also saw one returning empty from Tumkur side and going towards Yelahanka.

In a better way, they could travel to Chennai and pick up some Fords or Hyundais to deliver them to Delhi or some northern hub. That will be an ideal alternative to sending the empty rakes back. :)

This is definitely a move for overall betterment. Lesser number of trucks on the highways will help bring down congestion at multiple points (however small it might be), comparatively lower transit time along with other smaller benefits.

Hope other manufacturers join in as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3384848)
The Indian Railways & Maruti Suzuki have flagged off new high-capacity railway wagons (technically called BCACBM) from Gurgaon railway station.

Attachment 1216096

During my train journey on 22 Feb 2016, saw the below car transportation carriage train at Yelahanka train station (near Bangalore) which was carrying Maruti Suzuki passenger cars. A custom made goods carriage complete with the logo of MSIL for inland transportation of cars. There were cars inside the carriage (about 5 in a carriage I assume) but could not get close to check which model and exact number of cars being transported

Ford cars being loaded onto the flexi-deck train at a station on the outskirts of Arrakonam on the Bangalore to Chennai rail line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4017110)
Ford cars being loaded onto the flexi-deck train at a station on the outskirts of Arrakonam on the Bangalore to Chennai rail line.

Are you sure they weren't being unloaded? AFAIK, Ford manufactures the Figo hatchback and Aspire compact sedan (which are pictured) in their Sanand plant in Gujarat, and not in their Maraimalai Nagar (Chennai) plant. They manufacture only the EcoSport and Endeavour in Chennai.

Given Arakkonam is a major rail hub in the south, its possible they've transported these cars via rail, and are then further distributing it in the southern states via container trucks.

Source: http://www.india.ford.com/about