Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2014, 18:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

'Skoda Transportation' to set up metro coach factory in India

Skoda is looking to expand presence in India and exploring possibilities for setting up a manufacturing unit for Metro coaches in the country.

Quote:
Skoda is already supplying coaches to Delhi Metro, but would like to manufacture them within India as several Indian cities like Jaipur, Cochin, Bangalore, Lucknow and Mumbai have embarked upon the metro projects
Quote:
India is a traditional market. We have a history of relationship. There are no language barriers. China is quite different with language being a problem
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...india/34430186

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th April 2014 at 18:50.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 15:13   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 'Skoda Transportation' to set up metro coach factory in India

Nice, learn something new everyday.

Just a note: 'Skoda Transportation' is now a completely different company from the 'Skoda Auto' that we know for its cars.

The ET article makes it sound like it's the same (using the logo too).
Old 1st May 2014, 16:36   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice, learn something new everyday.

Just a note: 'Skoda Transportation' is now a completely different company from the 'Skoda Auto' that we know for its cars.

The ET article makes it sound like it's the same.
Thank god both are different else coaches too would have 'n' number of issues like Skoda cars.

There is a lot to learn if we all start reading ET who mix and match data making it a mess. I hope they proof read stuff and do some kind of R&D before printing.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 17:03   #4
gemi_kk

I don't understand why they are launching Skoda Transportation in india.

Already, our *Honest* L&T has placed orders for all Metro coaches & Tracks to hyundai and some French company. I do not see any significant demand in india in near future, because we have our own Coach builders like Titagrah wagons and some other desi companies. Our regular orders for passenger coaches goes to these companies. And this is cost effective too.

Other than Metro coaches, and passenger coaches there inst any other demand. Also, i don't think, in future the orders would go to Skoda Transportation too because of pricing and other factors.

So, they must be launching this brand mainly for Exports. But Exporting Wagons wouldn't be cost effective at all. [Considering the initial investment costs]

I would be happy to see them entering new segments in 4 wheelers. They do not have presence in B2/C1 which could be worked on. A mini SUV could be made. They could have gone the renault way by launching a cheaper brand Datsun. Yeah, i heard that they are planning for such a thing, but they don't seem to be working on it.

The Cars segment is very good which could give them more profits, if they could work hard a bit.

Already VW has bad name, Skoda too has bad reputation, Audi is no exception.
Now they want to get something else. Why not Fix the existing corp and get the new one with a premium tag? A la Hyundai strategy.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 1st May 2014 at 17:13.
  (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
There is a lot to learn if we all start reading ET who mix and match data making it a mess. I hope they proof read stuff and do some kind of R&D before printing.
Could not agree more on ETs standards on article writing. I would rather settle for no information rather than such half baked and erroneous information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks