Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2014, 11:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This one is no competition for the Xenon. Zilch Nada.
Why? Because you can register a Xenon as white plate private vehicle, but not this baby
Oops... didn't know that. Is there no way pickup trucks can be registered as private usage vehicle with white plates? I was totally ignorant about this, even though I remember and have wondered why one of my acquaintances had registered his private use Bolero pickup with taxi plates.
Old 15th May 2014, 11:13   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Oops... didn't know that. Is there no way pickup trucks can be registered as private usage vehicle with white plates? I was totally ignorant about this, even though I remember and have wondered why one of my acquaintances had registered his private use Bolero pickup with taxi plates.
Yes, there is a way, if the payload capacity of the vehicle is less than the passenger capacity. This is why Xenon double cab can be homoglated for private use, but not the Tata single cab.
If Isuzu introduces a double cab, and they can state the payload capacity less than passenger weight(some formula I dunno details) they can go to RTOs for private registration.

Surprisingly, the 3.0 Xenon(cheaper xenon) even in double cab has a hard time getting registered as a private vehicle, but the 10L+ 2.2L Xenon has no such issues
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 11:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

^^Apart from that, seating capacity is also a major difference between the two. While Xenon may not be a comfortable 5 seater, but it's a 5 seater nonetheless, while this looks at most a 2 seater.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2014 at 14:47. Reason: Typos
Old 15th May 2014, 11:23   #34
BHPian

That definitely is going to be a let down for private users. None of the private users would like to be seen driving a pickup with yellow-plates, for varying reasons. The Xenon, sort of,
is 'safe' from the D Max threat, then. In my mind I'd already had a list of prospective D-Max buyers in our circle.

But that engine is a sweet dream of mine, because I heard its smooth note some time back, and fell in love with it instantly.
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 11:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
That definitely is going to be a let down for private users. None of the private users would like to be seen driving a pickup with yellow-plates, for varying reasons.
Does this mean they cannot sell it for individual customers ? Should not be the case right, i have seen similar models in 1000's in thailand. Most of the cars i saw in thailand were Isuzu pickup type cars and Toyota Hilux's which is of similar design but should have been gasoline powered.

Though Tata Mobile was not a hit but the Isuzu brand name a chance to change that perspective. Since not much competition is present it has chances to gain leaps & bounds in this segment.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 15th May 2014 at 11:39.
Old 15th May 2014, 11:51   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Does this mean they cannot sell it for individual customers ? Should not be the case right, i have seen similar models in 1000's in thailand. Most of the cars i saw in thailand were Isuzu pickup type cars and Toyota Hilux's which is of similar design but should have been gasoline powered.

Though Tata Mobile was not a hit but the Isuzu brand name a chance to change that perspective. Since not much competition is present it has chances to gain leaps & bounds in this segment.
Of course you can buy it. But you have to go for yellow plate commercial vehicle registration which comes with its own issues.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 12:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Of course you can buy it. But you have to go for yellow plate commercial vehicle registration which comes with its own issues.
So ISUZU's target here is to penetrate purely on the commercial segment here owing to the vehicle type introduced ?

In that case people buying it for the brand name, for its nice engine for the type of utility it might provide will be far from remote. With the issue stated above by you the chances are even scarce, if at all ISUZU's finds a back door route and underplays something to avoid the Yellow board issue.
Old 15th May 2014, 14:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

The top end version looks nice, but interiors look like a lot of hard plastic put together. Though it could be a nice lifestyle vehicle I don't see how many Indians would actually opt for a pickup as family vehicle. I can see only enthusiasts lining up for this, (if it is available on a private registration) but no common men. The other version is a bare bones version, best suited as a goods carrier, but build quality looks nice and solid. The side profile reminds me of the Gio.

A nice effort overall to enter the CV segment by Isuzu.
Old 15th May 2014, 14:07   #39
BHPian

Looks great! The engine atleast promises to beat the Xenon hands down. Isuzu Diesel's are considered to be just as good as Toyota in terms of durability, reliability and endurance. And the price is just a lakh more than the Bolero Pik-up! Imagine that! A 134 bhp Isuzu Diesel priced just a lakh more than a 63 bhp Bolero Pik-up! By the way, I have got some more pics of the D-max with its loading bay all filled up, on the road, with people seated inside it and so on from a guy who works in the Chennai showroom. Unfortunately I dont have a way to upload them on Team bhp right now as I am travelling. If anybody wants to put them up here please PM me your mobile number and i will whatsapp them over right away.
Old 15th May 2014, 14:40   #40
Team-BHP Support

can we get these registered in Delhi/ NCR ? I heard we can't get Diesel commercial vehicles registered below certain engine capacity / payload .
Old 15th May 2014, 15:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Wow. The silver color space version is a looker. Would love buying one for personal use and offroading. Surely gonna have a test ride and consider.

Tata Xenon is going to suffer the most.
Quote:
That is the fear I too have, but the engine specs are awesome!
This is the only serious competition I see for the Xenon, with the powerful Isuzu CRDi engine. I'd pick an Isuzu diesel with my eyes closed, over almost any other pickups in the market. The refined, silent engine itself is a pleasure to use the whole day.
Quote:
This one is no competition for the Xenon. Zilch Nada.
Why? Because you can register a Xenon as white plate private vehicle, but not this baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
Apart from that seating capacity is also a manor difference between two while Xenon may not be a comfortable 5 seater but it's a 5 seater nonetheless while this looks at most a 2 seater.
it may hit the Tata Xenon 3.0 single cab sales.. however as there is no twin cab by Isuzu, don't see any threat to Xenon 3.0 Sports Twin Cab and Xenon XT. and no 4x4 offered by Isuzu
BTW, how many XENON is Tata selling on a average (Twin Cabs). It is so rare to see that on the roads.

Quote:
Yes, there is a way, if the payload capacity of the vehicle is less than the passenger capacity. This is why Xenon double cab can be homoglated for private use, but not the Tata single cab.
If Isuzu introduces a double cab, and they can state the payload capacity less than passenger weight(some formula I dunno details) they can go to RTOs for private registration.
Surprisingly, the 3.0 Xenon(cheaper xenon) even in double cab has a hard time getting registered as a private vehicle, but the 10L+ 2.2L Xenon has no such issues
Tata's have purposely marked the payload of XENON XT much lower than it can actually take so that it qualifies for a private registration plate.

Quote:
That definitely is going to be a let down for private users. None of the private users would like to be seen driving a pickup with yellow-plates, for varying reasons. The Xenon, sort of,
is 'safe' from the D Max threat, then. In my mind I'd already had a list of prospective D-Max buyers in our circle.
But that engine is a sweet dream of mine, because I heard its smooth note some time back, and fell in love with it instantly.
My cheque is ready the day Mazda comes with a twin cab (with additional space as provided on the Space cab) or if TATA can beat them and sort out the XENON XT rear seat for more comfort for a family vehicle and provide airbags and all around disks. Even something like a space cab concept for the twin cab will make XENON XT a perfect vehicle, for non-commercial buyers.
Old 15th May 2014, 15:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittal_v2002 View Post
Even something like a space cab concept for the twin cab will make XENON XT a perfect vehicle, for non-commercial buyers.
Tata is already offering spacecab type version in Thailand, although strictly in CV guise. Check this:

http://www.tatamotors.co.th/en/xenonmaxcab-index.php
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 15:47   #43
BHPian

Didn't know so many of us are into the Pickup truck act.It never took off in India.Xenon IMO looks amazing.The tall stance the big front menacing looks are brilliant.I have come across quite some pimped out versions of the Xenon and have loved most of them.And now we have the Dmax.It looks amazing.Wide body is such a looker.Its sits a little low but then put in a double cab,bigger wheels,some broad wheel arches and ABS n airbags and its good to go.That will a market leader I believe with the legendary ISUZU workhorse. And did they say 135 bhp?
Old 15th May 2014, 16:07   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This could be because most of those who want Xenon registered as a private vehicle live in BS-IV areas whereas 3.0 Xenon is only BS-III compliant.
Old 15th May 2014, 16:30   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
This could be because most of those who want Xenon registered as a private vehicle live in BS-IV areas whereas 3.0 Xenon is only BS-III compliant.
No, even in BS-III areas there is an issue. Check out one guys ownership report in punjab. he has mentioned registration woes
Closed Thread

Most Viewed