Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2014, 21:57   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: Isuzu D-Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I'm surprised they've managed to offer the D-Max for Rs. 7 Lacs - especially considering the engine & NVH levels. And you mention that currently all components are imported. What could happen to the price after localization?

And I'm now looking forward to review of Isuzu MU-7. If they manage to sell it for Rs. 20 Lacs on road, then Toyota will finally have some competition. Think about it - Isuzu MU-7 has just the following over the D-Max -

- Alloys & better tyres
- extra 2 row of seats
- leather interiors
- Infotainment system
- Extra metal (SUV body)
- ABS & airbags

How much will that add up to?
Guess the import taxes are playing the trick here. And maybe that's also why Isuzu is refusing to sell the Dmax as anything other than commercial purpose. Selling it on white plates for private use may invite taxes for the CKD kit, bringing the Dmax the same fate as the MU-7.

All these may change when the plant becomes operational. The whole range of Dmax will be available, white plates allowed and if the MU-7 is also manufactured here, can be priced competitively .
Old 26th July 2014, 22:30   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And you mention that currently all components are imported. What could happen to the price after localization?
I doubt there will be much difference , custom duty on parts for Commercial vehicles is different from the regular ones besides we have some trade treaty with Thailand with low duties .
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 22:31   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Those traits are mind boggling for a Diesel engine meant for load carrying! This Isuzu can easily outrun and out-accelerate a Swift D!

What a machine! Got BHP? is the ideal sticker for this one.
I think this machine will be insulted to be compared with a swift D or the likes. This is more in line with "Performance turbo hatchbacks like the 100bhp+ Polo etc.," when it comes to comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I doubt there will be much difference , custom duty on parts for Commercial vehicles is different from the regular ones besides we have some trade treaty with Thailand with low duties .
The excise on commercial vehicles is much lower. Same vehicle in white plate(if legally possible) would have cost around 1L more. Its 8% vs 24%.

Secondly, they did import a few Double cab for India(and sold them too to some customers as a pilot project), but the price will not make it a suitable vehicle.

I had a lengthy discussion with Isuzu, and they plan to expand to double cab etc., and also to high end SUVs(eg MU-7 newer model) only when they have a plant ready.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th July 2014 at 22:33.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 00:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
..I am absolutely chuffed to see a vehicle of such quality at such a competitive price.
The price is actually better than 'competitive' keeping in mind the features.
Quote:
..Throw in a twin cab, 4x4, ABS and a private number plate and this Isuzu would be a great companion for guys having a farm and/ or looking at a bit of fun with trails. Yeah, better rubber too!
It would put a new perspective in the 'lifestyle' pick up segment in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
..This is more in line with "Performance turbo hatchbacks like the 100bhp+ Polo etc.," when it comes to comparison.
This reminds me of someone's comment that what would the pick up drivers would do when they get a vehicle like this! With the modest mahindra they put the mountain roads on fire putting the big names to shame.

Quote:
I had a lengthy discussion with Isuzu, and they plan to expand to double cab etc., and also to high end SUVs(eg MU-7 newer model) only when they have a plant ready.
Do they have any future plan of the 4x4 version as well?
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 00:13   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post

Do they have any future plan of the 4x4 version as well?
Yes, but the plant is still 2.5 years or so away.
They understand that 4x4 option is needed if they want to make inroads into HP/UK/JK market. In these regions big trucks are not practical, therefore pickups are a big market.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 13:13   #21
BHPian

Isuzu brings in 4x4 variant and we'll have a good platform to build an expedition vehicle. The segment does not really exists but there are a few who use xenons and getaways . Isuzu with low end torque combined with high speed capability seems perfect for such platform. Don't know how solid the front suspension is , but I think if it is being used in an LCV it's going to be durable. Add bigger tyres (lot's of space for those in the wheel arches) snazzy fog lamps, roll cage, tent and boy this vehicle will be a tourer. Over-landing might just pick up in India.
Old 27th July 2014, 17:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

I read in the review that only commercial registration is allowed. Why is it so? I see other pick ups registered as private vehicles like Tata Xenon. Who makes the rule? Isuzu or the government?
Old 27th July 2014, 17:46   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I read in the review that only commercial registration is allowed. Why is it so? I see other pick ups registered as private vehicles like Tata Xenon. Who makes the rule? Isuzu or the government?
The Xenon is a crew cab. The Dmax has just 2 seats. As its payload capacity is greater than passenger capacity, it gets a commercial registration. Indian regulations are quite weird and illogical.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 20:24   #24
BHPian

Amazing to see this side by side with the mobilio launch. One a over-hyped, over-promised underwhelming car and kind of priced a segment above it should be. And this one a supposedly lower category vehicle with excellent build quality and paint etc. Love the look of this car.
joshiviv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 22:51   #25
BHPian

Look at that interior quality!! It would put to shame the Mahindra Thar! I wish, it could be modified into a jeep like something, and it would be a hit amongst college folk and enthusiasts. I believe modification experts would be already planning to get their hands on this sweet piece of cake!!
Sonubbsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 07:02   #26
BHPian

Had Isuzu considered launching latest gen variant it would have been a game changer.
Old 28th July 2014, 09:02   #27
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just took delivery of my D Max a few days ago. Things I added on:
1. Original rear bumper with fog light and number plate lights
2. Upgraded tyres to 245/70/16 with new wheels
3. Front fog lights from Isuzu MU-7
4. Kenwood Bluetooth Single DIN music system.

I feel this equipment should have been part of the OE package even if it costs a bit more. I really miss the bed liner and a soft bed cover
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Isuzu D-Max-image.jpeg  

Review: Isuzu D-Max-image2.jpeg  

Review: Isuzu D-Max-image3.jpeg  

Review: Isuzu D-Max-image1.jpeg  

Last edited by Lakshman1645 : 28th July 2014 at 09:04.
Lakshman1645 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 09:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
Hi Guys,

I feel this equipment should have been part of the OE package even if it costs a bit more. I really miss the bed liner and a soft bed cover
Thats a good looking truck you got there.Wish it could be registered as a private vehicle,it would have been a complete game changer,weird laws.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 09:36   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Had Isuzu considered launching latest gen variant it would have been a game changer.
Beg to differ. For the current pick up segment in India, the Dmax is more than enough. All the current offerings are more than a couple of decades old, while the Dmax is only a decade old and is contemporary still. the new gen would have had the price crossing the 10lakh barrier.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Just took delivery of my D Max a few days ago.
Congrats dude, looking forward to your ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Thats a good looking truck you got there.Wish it could be registered as a private vehicle,it would have been a complete game changer,weird laws.
Sure, agree with you. Well, not our weird rules. Once Isuzu has its plant in Andhra Pradesh running, we can get the double cab as well as in white plates. Right now i think they are assembling using CKD kits , using a loophole in commercial vehicle importation. Private usage would invite the whole import duties and tax.

Regardless, waiting till 2016 is too long. Maybe Tata may launch the next gen Xenon on X2 platform as lifestyle vehicle then. Wishes.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:06   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Congrats on your purchase! Isuzu's are known workhorses, and will definitely keep you happy.

Good decision to get the bumper on, it makes a world of difference to the looks! Wonder why Isuzu omitted that in the first place!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks