Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 13:14   #61
BHPian

Re: Review: Isuzu D-Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You can try these guys out. Reviews have been a mixed bag, but some Endeavour owners report a distinct improvement in ride quality.
Will give these guys a call. I will remove a couple of plates first and see if the ride improves. If not, then this will be the next option.
Old 9th September 2014, 12:38   #62
BHPian

I removed the entire stack of leaf springs last weekend. Was surprised to find that the bottom set of 3 leafs are flat. As opposed to the first 4 leafs which are elliptical. This was definitely preventing the elliptical leafs from any flex. Removed the 3 flat plates and refitted the 4 elliptical ones.

The ride is really good now - especially at higher speeds. The constant bumpiness is now a gentle waft. The rear ride height has come down marginally. I have attached a picture of it. It isn't too bad. Probably 30mm.

Would anybody here know what the required torque is for the leaf spring end bolts and U bolts are? I checked with the dealer but they didn't know either. I was expecting the person on the other end to tell me that my warranty would be voided. But to my shock, he asked me if I could help him do the same thing for his boss' D-Max
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Isuzu D-Max-photo.jpg  

Review: Isuzu D-Max-image.jpeg  

Lakshman1645 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 13:43   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
I removed the entire stack of leaf springs last weekend. Was surprised to find that the bottom set of 3 leafs are flat. As opposed to the first 4 leafs which are elliptical. This was definitely preventing the elliptical leafs from any flex. Removed the 3 flat plates and refitted the 4 elliptical ones.
Don't do this.
Start with the shortest two, then see.
The correct solution which does not compromise ride height is to cut the spring you want to remove from one side. It still says in the stack, but does not contribute to stiffness.

However, in the bottom there is something called overload spring(not connected anywhere). Remove that. I am thinking you can get rid of overload springs, and it will help. Just leave one flat

Last edited by tsk1979 : 9th September 2014 at 13:46.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 17:34   #64
BHPian

I think by removing the 3 leaf you are compromising the springs ability to absorb a shock of bigger magnitude. You could encounter a failure when the car goes over a bump at a fast speed. As suggested by Tsk do this one leaf at a time.
Old 11th September 2014, 16:07   #65
BHPian

Wow, nice review of the D-max. I am really loving this truck.
It would be a perfect upgrade for our tata 207. Our 207 is old, almost 12 years old. Though i would have loved to get the crew cab version of the dmax, it will further increase the cost and this i think isuzu doesnt want, untill and unless they have a sure footed market in India.
Waiting for the Crew cab version of Dmax.
Old 12th September 2014, 11:39   #66
BHPian

I had called one of the Bangalore dealers sometime back to inquire about the D-max. The guy told me its available only in two door/crew cab configuration and only for Yellow board registration and hence I did not venture going and seeing it. Two days back in Ooty I saw a proper four door D-Max with normal white board registration. Sadly could not take a picture of it. I am confused??What is going on? Probably Lakshman could throw some light on it as he is also from TN....
Old 12th September 2014, 11:48   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
I had called one of the Bangalore dealers sometime back to inquire about the D-max. The guy told me its available only in two door/crew cab configuration and only for Yellow board registration and hence I did not venture going and seeing it. Two days back in Ooty I saw a proper four door D-Max with normal white board registration. Sadly could not take a picture of it. I am confused??What is going on? Probably Lakshman could throw some light on it as he is also from TN....
About 30 pieces were imported in dual cab config as a trial basis. Later that was abandoned, because in CBU/CKD form the cost would be too hight. Commercial vehicles attract lower tax.
Expect 4 door dual cab once factory is ready in early 2017
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 14:02   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Two days back in Ooty I saw a proper four door D-Max with normal white board registration.
There is a white D-max in Coimbatore running on white plates.(Alloys and bigger wheels too)

I guess it might be the same.
Old 12th September 2014, 17:26   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
There is a white D-max in Coimbatore running on white plates.(Alloys and bigger wheels too)

I guess it might be the same.
No, the one I saw was not modified in anyway. Plain jane..and looked like it was being used for farm work, not a boulevard cruiser...The question still remains how these run on white plates when all others run only on yellow plates??

Last edited by car love : 12th September 2014 at 17:27.
Old 12th September 2014, 20:22   #70
BHPian

Nothing is illegal till you get caught.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 15:34   #71
BHPian

I guess I read a post somewhere on T bhp where a person bought Bolero and facing the same stupid rule not allowing private registration, fought a legal battle against the local RTO. In the end he won the battle and managed to get his Bolero registered. That case involved Mahindra as the manufacturer and was against the local RTO. In this instance, I am not sure whether the same precedent can apply as this also involves lower duties.
Old 15th September 2014, 07:59   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Currently the D-max is only available in single cab or space cab variants. Both are two seaters. As Tanveer mentioned, the double cab will be out in a couple of years.

It is the dealer's responsibility to deliver the vehicle to the customer with a yellow plate. It is then the owner's decision/risk to fix a white plate.

Technically, I am flouting norms myself as Tamil Nadu state law requires a commercial vehicle to sport both a yellow bonnet and yellow tailgate, regardless of the colour of the vehicle. The dealer had to fit a yellow bonnet and tailgate onto my vehicle for registration purposes and reasembled my orginial bonnet and tailgate before delivery to me. I guess some laws are given more importance than others. It is weird and confusing. I'll just have to wait and see what issues come up over the period of my usage. Getting a white plate made is very easy. But this is one rule I'm not comfortable messing with.
Lakshman1645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 11:14   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Getting a white plate made is very easy. But this is one rule I'm not comfortable messing with.
Hi Lakshman
There are two ways to white place. One way is the blatantly illegal way. Replace yellow plate with white plate.

however, there is a pseudo legal way. I got to know, that some smaller RTOs in punjab will register anything as white plate.

I see a lot of single cab bolero/xenon etc., in smaller places in punjab with white plates. And these are not plate changes. They were registered as white plate after the owner gave an undertaking that the vehicle is for private use.

Now this may not be possible with all RTOs, but in smaller cities its possible.

Another example is the mayapuri and dabwali army disposal rebuilds. Any big city RTO will refuse to register these. That is why you see these with PB-49 kind of numbers, because the RTO does not care.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:02   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Technically, I am flouting norms myself as Tamil Nadu state law requires a commercial vehicle to sport both a yellow bonnet and yellow tailgate, regardless of the colour of the vehicle.
One question, is this yellow bonnet/tailgate law only for load carrying vehicles?

Some trucks, like tippers or petroleum transportation don't have the bonnet painted yellow for eg.
Old 16th September 2014, 14:20   #75
BHPian

Here is one space cab I found in kottayam district, kerala. This one was legally registered as private by getting a court order for private use. There are few Tata xenons here thats done it in the same manner.
So it is very much possible to get it in white plates here.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Isuzu D-Max-20140913-10.12.052.jpg  

conjon is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed