Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2014, 11:14   #1
BHPian

Ashok Leyland Trucks: Better resale in South India?

This question is directed at CV gurus on this forum for their kind opinion.

I have an AL 1214 truck (2013 vintage) that I wish to sell here in Pune, but there doesn't seem to be much demand for the truck here. I had a Tata 1109 truck that sold in a trice. I am told that there isn't much demand for AL trucks in West/North India and that there is much more demand for AL in South India.

My question is, would it make sense for me to have my truck driven down south to sell it? If yes, which city would be best to dispose off the truck?

Just for the record, the truck has run 90000 kms and I am putting in brand new tyres. The electricals and mechanicals are in top condition and only the load body shows some age.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Amit
Old 12th November 2014, 15:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ashok Leyland Trucks: Better resale in South India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkb View Post
My question is, would it make sense for me to have my truck driven down south to sell it?
Here's a suggestion: Why not take a transport consignment along from Mumbai / Pune to the south? That way, the trip will be paid for . No damage done even if you don't get any better resale in the south.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 23:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did you try to sell it online?
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 11:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's a suggestion: Why not take a transport consignment along from Mumbai / Pune to the south? That way, the trip will be paid for . No damage done even if you don't get any better resale in the south.
GTO answering a question of mine is an honor!

How I came about owning a truck is a loooong story for another day. As they say, neki kar, dariya mein daal. I am not in the transport business per se, so taking a consignment South is out of the equation

Amit
Old 13th November 2014, 13:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tata generally commands a highers resale in majority of the country. Dont know specifically, but I think only in TN Leyland commands a higher Resale
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 14:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
GTO answering a question of mine is an honor!

How I came about owning a truck is a loooong story for another day. As they say, neki kar, dariya mein daal. I am not in the transport business per se, so taking a consignment South is out of the equation

Amit
Many years ago, I too ended up owning 2 brand new Eicher 20.16 trucks. After a year I realized I have converted into the only truck driver in India with a U.S. Master's degree

And try selling Eicher trucks in the 2nd hand market, the Askok Leyland is a dream sale!!!

Anyway, what kind of cabin and body does the truck have? You might have noticed that each of our surrounding states seems to have a certain type of cabin and body. Southern Maharashtra prefers Kolhapur and Belgaum styles, Karnataka has Belgaum, Mangalore and Chikmagalur syles, Kerala and T.N. prefers Nammakkal bodies and cabins, and A.P. has its own radium-flashing bodies.

BTW, I sold my trucks through the nation's costliest classified advertisements - Sakaal !
john doe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 14:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:

I have an AL 1214 truck (2013 vintage) that I wish to sell here in Pune, but there doesn't seem to be much demand for the truck here.

My question is, would it make sense for me to have my truck driven down south to sell it? If yes, which city would be best to dispose off the truck?

Amit
I am no CV guru, but I am curious about a few things.
1.Why do you call it a 2013 "vintage " ? Do trucks ago so fast ?
2.Is the truck registered in MH ? Don't you need NOCs to sell it in another state and the new buyer to register it again with his local RTO ? Will this not affect your sale ?
3.If you think selling it in your state will not fetch you a good price , why not lease/rent it to transport companies (just a thought ,not sure how the whole thing works in the transport industry )
4. I am not able to recollect the name of the place properly . There is a town in Tamil Nadu , apparently this place has given Ashok Leyland a lot of business(has a very large number of AL trucks ) and in turn to honor them , AL decided to name a truck or an engine series after this place , you can try your luck there.
Old 15th November 2014, 23:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ashok Leyland Trucks: Better resale in South India?

Quote:

I have an AL 1214 truck (2013 vintage) that I wish to sell here in Pune, but there doesn't seem to be much demand for the truck here. I had a Tata 1109 truck that sold in a trice. I am told that there isn't much demand for AL trucks in West/North India and that there is much more demand for AL in South India.

Just for the record, the truck has run 90000 kms and I am putting in brand new tyres. The electricals and mechanicals are in top condition and only the load body shows some age.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Amit

Ashokleyland does have better resale value in south and specifically it's not limited to any particular city. Though I can refer come places, but how will you establish contacts here?
So my suggestion is to speak to Sriram Auto Mall, who are into the business of trading used trucks.
In your case this being a cab model there is no issues wrt body types and hence should not be problem. Sriram Auto Mall will take the vehicle and sell in a location where there is much of requirements. I suggest you speak to chennai office so that they fix a fairly better price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Tata generally commands a highers resale in majority of the country. Dont know specifically, but I think only in TN Leyland commands a higher Resale

Not just TN, AL has good resale in across south India.
And not all Tata models have good resale value here. Single axle trucks and tippers are sold at a discount of around 2 Lks in KL. That should tell the resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
?..4. I am not able to recollect the name of the place properly . There is a town in Tamil Nadu , apparently this place has given Ashok Leyland a lot of business(has a very large number of AL trucks ) and in turn to honor them , AL decided to name a truck or an engine series after this place , you can try your luck there.

The place is called Sangakiri and the truck named after the city is Neptune powered 3120 Sangakiri Express.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 15th November 2014 at 23:06.
Ashley2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 17:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Many years ago, I too ended up owning 2 brand new Eicher 20.16 trucks. After a year I realized I have converted into the only truck driver in India with a U.S. Master's degree

BTW, I sold my trucks through the nation's costliest classified advertisements - Sakaal !
SIR, you may be first converted us returnee, truck driver, and i happen to be the only PHd holder from singapur who had turned into a bus driver. i had taken both my AL-222" viking, 180 hp, a/c, buses to down south, bangalore to sell it, right from kolkata, all the way to bangalore.

regards

dr. sen
dr. sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 12:25   #10
BHPian

Dr. Sen and John Doe, thanks for coming out with your stories. I am very glad to know I am not the only over-qualified truck driver in India. :-)

In the event, I am happy to report that I have managed to sell the AL truck for the same price as a similar Tata truck would go for. AL seemingly has loyal customers here and has managed to make some inroads into the Pune market as well. Obviously, I have taken not just a haircut, but a full (blood) bath in this deal, but I am glad I have gotten out of it with my sanity intact.

All is well that ends well...

Amit
amitkb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 14:08   #11
BHPian

The feeling of relief when trucks get sold is known only to people like us!!!!

So what was the mode of sale, classified ads, or some thing else?

I am sure that like me, you will never think of owning a truck again:-)
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 22:06   #12
BHPian

amit ,
how about telling us how did you get the truck , it may be interesting read and useful lesson for all .
Old 30th November 2014, 10:51   #13
BHPian

@Rovergen, I am sure my story is not very different from @Dr. Sen's or @John Doe's. I am sure all three of us must have tried to help an old employee/acquaintance get a leg up in life through business, realized 95% of people in this world, especially in the rural areas, are liars and cheaters or worse, must have given up, repossessed the trucks, and sold them off.

Dr. Sen and John Doe, please correct me if I am wrong, which am not very infrequently. :-)

Amit
Old 8th December 2014, 13:48   #14
BHPian

Mod note: Fixed Quotes, please do a Preview post before Submitting. Thanks.

Quote:
@Rovergen, I am sure my story is not very different from @Dr. Sen's or @John Doe's. I am sure all three of us must have tried to help an old employee/acquaintance get a leg up in life through business, realized 95% of people in this world, especially in the rural areas, are liars and cheaters or worse, must have given up, repossessed the trucks, and sold them off. )
Dear Amit/ and all

So very true. i was also cheated into it. a CBI inquiry is ging on ! can you imagine. This fellow got a 1 crore CGTMI loan, (2 loans, one each for himself and his wife) from a sbi kolkata branch to buy an AL-222" WB, 7 speed gear box, with an ABS and a engine brake retarder, 45 seater, thermoking a/c, with herita seats; very similar and matching specs, to volvo), got the mercedes body made from sutlej punjab, got a fabricated invoice of 1cr each, for 2 buses.

Actual loan was 77.5 lacs, each, as he had to put 23.5 lacs as down money. The fellow, being a seasoned operator, gave both the buses to the bus syndicate, at dharam tala, esplanade, kolkata. (very very infamous). He took a security money of 5 lacs, ( non adjustable ) over 3 years, with an amount of 50k/ month each for the 2 buses for the next 3 years. That is cool 18 lacs each.

You want an idea how much this crook made, in 3 years?

Sutlej charged a 3% for the over invoice amount of 62 lacs. and returned the balance which was distributed to the manger sbi and the others, (15 lacs for the body +6 lacs for the thermoking a/c = 21 lacs. another 17 lacs for the chassis. = 38 lacs. )

I was later informed by the probing agency, that this fellow kept around 40 lacs from the loan, the chassis was free, ( a novel method was used here. instead of usual practise of over invoicing, this smart crooked fellow, got his 23.5 lac financed from a local source, for a period of 5 working days. and showed the transaction shown in the books of the local shree ashl dealer which was later returned by the dealer once the bank got the invoice of fully paid chassis, and the dealers account statement. ( no he did not use the usual method of a photocopy of the cheque and a genuine printed dealer receipt, which is usually done by the transporters and bus operators. !)

I hope, you people are getting the modus operandi, of this crook. This is to educate and make aware, fellow brethren.

Sutlej; once they received the D.O./ P.O. from the bank, paid the chassis money to the dealer. ( the cheque along with the financing cost; paid and was returned to the financier, by the dealer; once the account statement was printed by the dealer and shown to the loan disbursing sbi branch). The chassis was then sent from alwar RSO. to sutlej.

SO THIS FELLOW GOT.

1. From the loan = 77.5 loan disbursement - 38 lacs. + 3% on 39.5 lacs.(77.5 - 38 =39.5) = 38 + 1.2 (approx ) PLUS. 1 LAC AS expenditure at b.b. and around 10% to the b.m. = 38 + 1.2. +1 + 7.75 = 48 lacs . + 2 lac miscl expenses including the ashl dealer.

cash from the bank for each bus = 77.5 - 50 lacs = 27 .5 lacs. x 2 (his wife ) = 55 lacs.

cash from the leasing of the buses to the syndicate. = 5 lacs x 2 = 10 lacs.

so immediately had 65 lacs.

and another 18 lacs / bus x 2 = 36 lacs, from the the syndicate, giving him a monthly income of 1 lacs / month.

every body is happy. the crook who planned it. the syndicate, who got brand new a/c luxury bus for 5 lacs, the manager of the bank, the dealer, the body builder, the people who rode the bus, got cheaper tickets, as the entry cost for the syndicate was only 5 lacs. i hope, i was able to get it through.

Being a CGTMI loan, the loan is covered by th central government grant, the sbi risk is only 20% of the 77.5 lacs = 15.5 lacs. and other 62 lacs is reimbersed by the central govt. ( check the CGTMI scheme loans, in google).

So how did i , got involved in it. Well, here i was sitting in this bank, kbl ltd. in our locality. He was known to the bm. the bm introduced me as dr. and a travel enthusiast, with hotel interest in nepal, dehradoon and jaipur (places i had worked). To cut the story short, he became a regular in the office, and asked if i would help him with his travel and tour office in kolkata.

As i was motor enthusiast, i was impressed with the specs, he had on his ashl bus, the only one in bengal, with that mercedes body, 7 speed gear box, 180 hp, with abs and a engine retarder braking system, travelling to siliguri, near nepal border. i suggested him to extend his bus to kathmandu. He agreed but asked me to pool in with some, money as the buses need to be overhauled, mechanically, if it did had to travel 1200 km, one way and around 18000km. monthly, on a reguraly basis. "Ashley Sir" had helped me to select a new bus for that.

Soon a lease agrrement was done, so that the buses gave my money back, in as much little time as possible. He wanted to keep a monthly 10k x 2 buses, to run his office. Very fair indeed. So here i was helping him to take care of his family with sick wife, father in law, and a talented son who was good in tennis. (my kidss are tennis freak, and are members of lawn tennis association kol.)

i spent about 3.6 lacs on new set of tyres. (radial) 14 tyres. Amar steel radial of apollo. another 2 lacs on a/c cooling coil, evaporator, roof fans, complete change of on seat air flow regulators. control panel, gas recharge, etc. (both buses).

The fuel injectors had been changed with that that of a truck !; by the drivers of the syndicate. abs, was dismantled, retarder not working. air suspension totally damaged, due to the severe road conditions of nh-34 ( volvo had to change 8 times in a year. after that they stopped giving buses on that route, infact, after thise incident of air suspension abuse, they wanted to know, where their buses would ply, before they would book the order for the delivery of their buse!

7 speed gear bos had couple of cogs knocked off ; as drivers didnt know how to use a 7 speed gear box, so a 2nd / 3rd / 5th or 6th happened.

cluthch too was replaced with pressure plates and bearing. Actuator cylinder too were replaced / repaired. complete roofing was changed / redone, as it was dripping. the air con drain was also clogged, so the duct also need to be cleaned.
A luggage lack was put on roof, due to luggage carried by our nepalese brethren, who use to return home after 2 -3 years of servic in india.

engine was redone as , cylinders had jammed once due to overheat, due to lack of adequate engine oil. (some months back, i was told, so couldnt take chances). Moreover both the buses had clocked around 4,80,000 km and were consuming engine oil. (as repeorted by the ashl garage, and per their record).

A new coat paint was done costing 45k x 2 buses. Volvo type, small, cylinderical, high powered zenon lights were replaced, with the new ones, day time running lights, additional bright, wide spread halogen lights, for hill / fog running in the himalyas was put on additional bull bars ( first on Bus, in eastern india). Additional 4 nos. LED tv with inverter was replaced. so was the whole electrical wire harness, as i wastaking no chances with all these gadgets, lighting etc. Rear led brake lights, additional rear halogen for night time parking / brief halts / reversing, was put. for safety. I had seen too many people killed in night / early morning; due to rear end collision, or tyre changing operation.

Additional rear led lighted info boards were put, giving destination, routes, arrival and departure time etc. ( again a first on lusury bus). The bus had cameras on top of the bus, in roof, front and back, and sides, giving views to the passengers and the driver. ( like in plane).

Well i had freaked out. i did what i had seen in american tourist buses. I had even contacted bmw and mer, for their night time, infr -red cameras, which is available @ 1.8 lacs, additional, in s class. Though merc and bmw use totally different tech. there is also of siemens. all use diff. tech. merc is most promising. bmw is heat sensitive, infra red.

So after putting the buses on routes for 4 days, just before the dusherra, (the biggest festival for noth eastern and nepalese people " dasai"; the bus was confiscated by the bank, for non payment of e.m.i.'s, and had court orders for seizing. The fellow with his wife; himself came to my office and took the spare keys and original document s of the bus ( i used to have an attested one in the bus). His wife cried hoarse, and made my staff give her the keys and lease document too, in order to show to the banks's attachment officer. Both the buses were driven off. to the collection agency, to their private garage, to krishna nagar, some 100km away.

I was in delhi that time, on vacation, with my family. I was told on phone, by the fellow, that the bank wanted to see the vehicles, for verification and all papers would be given back. the attachment officer vetted his lie. ( couldnt see him on phone, could i !).

After a week when i returned, the person has shifted his home, and was on the run, i was told, by his wife, as she had lodged an FIR for wife beating and manhandling his son !

So after being beaten black and blue (not physically); here i was totally clue less, what had hit me. After a month, i was contacted by person (claiming to be a bank collection agent) who wanted to meet me in my office.

There was this person, who said he knew me and spoken to me on the night when the bus was seized. The person asked me if i would be interested to buy the buses back, in an auction, by the sbi, which will be stage managed. He wanted 1 lakhs each, for the buses as his commission. The bank wants its part of 15-16 lacs, / bus. without interest, and would be happy forego the interet part. i should hurry as the tyres, will be ruined, keeping them in one place, the bus weighing, 12- 13 tons. Aftewr some haggling and 3 auction dates over; i managed to put the buses on road, after paying 10 lacs, / bus inclusive of the commission.

so end of the story, after spending 20 + 18-20 for repairs etc. = 38-40 lacs, i ended up with the buses. not knowing what to do with them.

I had taken a hit of above 15 lacs overall, and faith in people shaken and stirred. Became a laughing stock in the family, who had warned me of me getting obsessed with other person's buses and his problems.

The CBI HAD called me a week back, asking me, if i knew this guy. he was arrested for cheating a number of banks, over 30 to 40 cr. over a period of 4-5 years. doing fake land / property papers. faking invoices, fake, audited balance sheets, etc. These people were expert in getting CGTSMI loans to various people.

Hope you all will learn something. The story was long though ! Incredible I think.

Regards

dr. sen

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th December 2014 at 14:45. Reason: Fixing Quotes
dr. sen is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 20:14   #15
BHPian

Dr Sen,

Sorry to hear your ordeal, I hope by your post people would get educated on these scams so that they don't loose money.

Most Viewed