Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 15:31   #1
Team-BHP Support

Ahmedabad gets 123 new Tata buses with automatic transmission

Tata Motors flagged off 123 new air-conditioned buses in Ahmedabad under the JnNURM phase - II scheme. Tata Motors claims that these buses are suitable for BRTS operators and have been developed for Janmarg.

These buses are built by Tata Marcopolo and equipped with automatic transmission, which the company claims, reduces driver fatigue, and at the same time, improve acceleration and increases fuel efficiency. They have a length of 12 metres and a floor height of 900 mm and are fitted with electronic display boards and pneumatic door operations. The buses have a wider passage-way and large window panes. They also have lower entry/exit doors, which are claimed to be convenient for commuters including differently-abled and elder passengers.

These buses will be run by private operators.

Ahmedabad gets 123 new Tata buses with automatic transmission-tata.png
Aditya is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 15:40   #2
BHPian

Re: Ahmedabad gets 123 new Tata buses with automatic transmission

I hope they have rectified some of the shortcomings of the marcopolo buses deployed in Bangalore. They are too noisy, slow and I have seen quite a few breakdowns as well. The cloud bursts of smoke when it gets going is unbearable if one is stuck behind on a two wheeler. I agree on the principle of automatics though. I find volvo drivers less stressed than the ones driving the manuals.
kvish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 16:18   #3
BHPian

The TATA-Morcopolo buses in Bangalore has been a full failure, with a big list of problems - Loud Noise, Thick Black smoke from exhaust, No power to pull the load, always lagging behind in all roads even behind Autos, Poorly maintained, frequent breakdowns. Even interiors are not good.

Hope they are fixed in this variant/versions.
GetLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 16:42   #4

Its all good for "Make in India" for that matter "Made by Indian Co." but how far would that be successful if we continue to churn out sub-quality products. One can not expect public to splurge their hard earned money, and with that extension Govt. shouldn't either, on product which are below par. The Tata Marcopolo, Ashok Leyland buses are in the market for quite some time now, but can they be comparable to say, a Volvo ? I doubt. But I am sure, they will keep churning out these ozone eaters, who would not be out of place if it were to be early 50s, so long they have willing customers with deep pockets in the form of government. Its high time that the Government stop doling out these orders as routine. Raise the Bar a bit.
Rajuputana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 17:13   #5
BHPian

As mentioned by others here apart from loud noise and smoke belching machines that they are, it broke down the only two times I traveled in AC Marco polo Buses in Bangalore. I avoid these buses from then on.

These buses are maintained by BMTC and issue could be lack of maintenance. Moreover, BMTC workshop people are used to handle the front engine Tata or Ashok Leyland buses and may not be good at fixing these rear engine buses.
isandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 17:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

I remember a few years back in Mumbai the BEST (the local bus transport in Mumbai) service had acquired some Tata rear engined low floor buses. Those buses disappeared in a very short span of time. I remember everytime I used to see those Tata rear engined buses with those smoky exhausts bellowing tons of black smoke I used to hide for cover. Looks like Tata hasn't improved over the years and are still belting out the same sub-standard products in their homeland. What a pity! Whereas this is the same Tata that exports buses to the Middle East, Brazil and South Africa which are are of superior quality. I doubt if those buses would be belching out the same amount of black smoke and pathetic interiors that rattle like hell. This is not a rant but a fact. One can see how Tata Motors' passenger car business took a massive beating and they came out with Zest and Bolt when they saw their ship was sinking.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 20:04   #7
BHPian

Greetings everyone,

Please find link of article of JNMRU buses plied in Nashik.

This experience is from the dept. MSRTC itself.

1) Cost of buses

http://m.economictimes.com/industry/...w/39153853.cms

2) Performance and maintenance

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/nashi...w/35132302.cms
ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 09:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Driving a rear engine bus is way different than driving a front engine one. Drivers are used to shifting by the tone of the engine, and not observing the RPM meter. When they shift to RE they take time adjusting, and often use wrong gears causing this belching of smoke.

Rahul
Old 30th December 2014, 13:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
These buses are maintained by BMTC and issue could be lack of maintenance. Moreover, BMTC workshop people are used to handle the front engine Tata or Ashok Leyland buses and may not be good at fixing these rear engine buses.
All the rear-engine Marcopolos are maintained by BMTC at depots which also maintain Volvo buses. So the mechanics in those depots (Depot 7, 13, 25, 28) have experience working with rear engine buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Driving a rear engine bus is way different than driving a front engine one. Drivers are used to shifting by the tone of the engine, and not observing the RPM meter. When they shift to RE they take time adjusting, and often use wrong gears causing this belching of smoke.
But then, we are talking of automatic transmission buses. Driver doesn't play any role in changing gears there, right?
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 13:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT: I stayed in Bangalore for 2 (2011-13) years and was a daily bike commuter. But I have seen both Volvos and Tatas belching out clouds of smoke, with their rear looking black instead of the red/sky blue. It was pathetic to say the least. Also I have seen atleast a 100 instances of Volvo breakdowns while Tatas were rare and few. I also agree that Tata buses were themselves rare in the city. While I was there, a "CORONA" series of buses came which looked some chinese product. Since they were new, I can't comment on their condition.

Coming to the interiors, Volvo was much ahead than a Tata. Coming to the prices, Volvo was again much ahead of the Tata.

Coming to Bhubaneswar, few automatic AC Tata Marcopolo have been introduced for the city transport about 6-9 months back. They are still shining red, fairly quiet, smoke cloud-free and breakdown free. May be it has got to do with the kind of maintenance being done on the buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post

Rahul
The buses being discussed here are automatics and hence wrong gear selection is out of question.
Old 30th December 2014, 17:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

I was replying to navin_v8 about the Tata Rear engine buses in Mumbai which were Manual transmission. Pune also had received a few of them which were again manual too, they have also disappeared.
Even in automatics, there is a LBSS schedule which decides shift pattern considering load, gradient, and throttle position. http://ttmg.org/blog/2012/05/allison...e-nymta-fleet/
Allison 210 which Tata usesed then http://www.allisontransmission.com/d....pdf?sfvrsn=30

Driving pattern and reason for smoking.
If the driver gets his foot of the brake, the bus shifts to second gear, and torque is provided to start moving, as TC slip reduces, it locks up, and later shifts to third. If driver presses accelerator mildly after the converter locks up in second with RPM between 1400 and 1600 the converter will remain locked up, and TCU will signal the ECU to cut power momentary while shifting up, and transmission will upshift sequentially.
Suppose driver gets his foot of brake and immediately presses the throttle. He will get start in first, and engine RPM will jump to 2000 or above, the resultant sudden increase in RPM coupled with turbo lag will cause the bus to belch out smoke.
This type of driving will give a good start off on a graded section with load, in this case the load and TC stall ratio normally just above 2 will actually prevent the engine RPM shooting beyond the middle of the torque curve 1800 RPM or so, but on flat section even with full load it will not provide more acceleration than the recommended method stated first.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 11:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Tata Motors flagged off 123 new air-conditioned buses in Ahmedabad under the JnNURM phase - II scheme. Tata Motors claims that these buses are suitable for BRTS operators and have been developed for Janmarg.
Had a commute in new buses last month. Super Quality. Seems Tata has improved. Buses had a solid feel. As i was in hurry - was not able to get technical info about vehicle. Pardon my phone for poor images.

Yes. It's Automatic.
Ahmedabad gets 123 new Tata buses with automatic transmission-20150117_205404.jpg

Overall robust quality. No metal sheets visible in entire bus.
Ahmedabad gets 123 new Tata buses with automatic transmission-20150117_205459.jpg

Seen here is a blowers. What is that vertical pipe for? Cool air supply or water outlet?
Ahmedabad gets 123 new Tata buses with automatic transmission-20150117_205652.jpg

Windows are large & insulation is topnotch.
Ahmedabad gets 123 new Tata buses with automatic transmission-20150117_211142.jpg

Ahmedabad gets 123 new Tata buses with automatic transmission-20150117_211406.jpg
zalaps is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 12:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
What is that vertical pipe for? Cool air supply or water outlet?
That will be the grip to rotate the vents.
Old 11th March 2015, 14:31   #14
BHPian

Hyderabad city too was and is still blessed with these contraptions called the Tata Marcopolo with Automatic transmissions. Ask any motorist in the city and his biggest nightmare is getting stuck behind these smoke belching monsters in one of the many gradients all around the city. God save those who get stuck behind these in some of the steepest gradients (throw in a sharp left turn as well along with it). You will be blessed with a screen of smoke that is sure to blacken your most recently acquired Van Heusen. Add to that, the noise (btw, its all noise and no-go for these buses) and the heat (so much so that you can happily make an omlette on the helmet of the guy behind) and you have one heck of a Bully on the city roads.

TATA is right in saying these are suited for BRTS. That's because no one else can ride/drive in the same lane as these monsters.

Last edited by racer_ash : 11th March 2015 at 14:35.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 14:50   #15

Agree, Bangalore BMTC has decided to scrap these buses earlier this year.
Ref Link http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45825746.cms for more details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks