Team-BHP - JBM Group to launch a new premium Bus
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   JBM Group to launch a new premium Bus (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/160460-jbm-group-launch-new-premium-bus.html)

New Delhi-based automotive parts major JBM Group will launch a premium-class bus around the first week of March, taking on the likes of Volvo and Scania.

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46134271.cms

It will be a tough task for an unknown entity to compete with the likes of Volvo and scania.

Anybody has any info on this product?

Some info; Link - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46134271.cms
Quote:

The JBM Group entered into bus manufacturing in 2013 under a joint venture with Italian busmaker BredaMenarinibus and it has exposure to the commercial vehicle industry as a supplier to Volvo Eicher and MAN trucks.
It is therefore, likely that these buses would be powered by Eicher power train.

JBM Tesco is a leading global player in engineering and design services to the automotive industry.

JBM showcased this city bus in last Auto Expo 2014. At that time, the JNnurm2 was just getting shape. But unfortunately there was no participation from JBM during any of the meetings with MoUD. Its a bus made with lot of desire but unlikely it will match UBS II.
Henceforth its almost impossible for any manufacturer to make their own buses, as they need to be complied with UBSII as any STU is unlikely to purchase huge number of buses with just their funding. Of course there are STU's who does this but may not be a continuous order but one time.
Executives were telling they are in talks with various STU's but not sure how and who will be interested to buy without even homologation. ANd with Bus body code already nearing along with AIS 052, lot of inputs needs to given to design team. This was a complete set up done by other company with support and facility given by JBM. There were even earlier news of JBM getting into luxury coaches- again with tie up with european body builder. But didn't take shape. Wish this doesn't go that way.
One thing which was different was the difference in engine compartment, as AIS was placed vertically to save some space. But most of other features though is matching to regular low floor buses but no where near - leave away Volvo not even to AL ULE and Marco.
Lot of time and energy needs before these are to be on road - especially with rear engine and low floor - deadly and killer combination and Yes a big thanks to our excellent roads.
I missed the leaflets, if not could have shared some more info's.
JBM Group to launch a new premium Bus-20140207_141635.jpg

JBM Group to launch a new premium Bus-20140207_140720.jpg

JBM Group to launch a new premium Bus-20140207_141239.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley2 (Post 3640016)
JBM showcased this city bus in last Auto Expo 2014

The bus looks cool, but the steering looks too too skinny and old fashioned.

They could have at least done a steering wheel like the B7Rs or the Mercs. This wheel reminds me of the old Maruti Esteem steering wheel.

Name:  esteem.PNG
Views: 3259
Size:  261.7 KB

It is difficult for a new manufacturer to pass the Pre Qualification (PQ) criteria in all two part bidding followed by all STUs, which is sort of mandatory for all governmental purchases. One major PQ criterion is the past experience of having supplied a certain number of buses to STUs.
A vicious circle indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajeev k (Post 3640262)
It is difficult for a new manufacturer to pass the Pre Qualification (PQ) criteria in all two part bidding followed by all STUs, which is sort of mandatory for all governmental purchases. One major PQ criterion is the past experience of having supplied a certain number of buses to STUs.
A vicious circle indeed.

I think there is a workaround for this. India has seen many "first" town-bus / city-bus companies. Two examples that i can think of are JCBL Cerita buses in Mumbai and the tried and tested Volvo 8400 City Bus. Now there are zillion STUs ordering volvos, but there had to be a point for volvo where they had not supplied any buses to anny STU.

If already supplied to STU was a major criteria, there was no way, JCBL-Cerita and Volvos would have hit STUs market.

:OT - Karnataka KSRTC uses some "Eicher" buses for thier Hosur-Bangalore shuttles and probably KSRTC is the only STU i have seen to have operated Eicher Buses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scopriobharath (Post 3641376)
If already supplied to STU was a major criteria, there was no way, JCBL-Cerita and Volvos would have hit STUs market.

This, my friend, is called the result of lobbying.

Quote:

Karnataka KSRTC uses some "Eicher" buses for thier Hosur-Bangalore shuttles and probably KSRTC is the only STU i have seen to have operated Eicher Buses.
There are quite a handful of APSRTC/TSRTC Eicher buses operating between Bangalore and destinations in AP/Telangana. Probably APSRTC is the largest STC customer for Eicher.

KSRTC (Kerala) has placed an order for 20 Eicher bus chassis to run long routes, and one of the buses has actually rolled out from the body workshop last week.

Quote:

I think there is a workaround for this. India has seen many "first" town-bus / city-bus companies. Two examples that i can think of are JCBL Cerita buses in Mumbai and the tried and tested Volvo 8400 City Bus. Now there are zillion STUs ordering volvos, but there had to be a point for volvo where they had not supplied any buses to anny STU.

Dear Friend, Both the JCBL-Cerita and Volvo 8400 were the first in their segment. Volvo was tried by BMTC, then purchased - the same way BEST took a trial of JCBL-Cerita-KingLong and then bought it in large numbers. The same thing happened to DTC's AC Marcopolos.

The same thing happened to the Volvo B7R/B9R, the Mercedes O-500R/O-500RSD, and is happening with the Scania Metrolink HD. JnNURM tenders mandates "previous experience" of supplying to another STU as a pre-qualification criteria. But then, when corporations buy buses out of their own money, they are free to set their pre-qualification criteria.

Quote:

:OT - Karnataka KSRTC uses some "Eicher" buses for thier Hosur-Bangalore shuttles and probably KSRTC is the only STU i have seen to have operated Eicher Buses.

Eicher? FYI, Karnataka SRTC never owned an Eicher bus, neither does it own now.

Eicher is used in large quantities by GSRTC, APSRTC and KTC (Kadamba). Now, Kerala RTC has made a token purchase for trials as well.

The engine cover grill has huuuuge gaping holes. Looks ugly! Reminds me of the ugly Tata Marcopolo RE buses.

Driver cabin looks very ordinary.

Forget Volvo/Scania, this will be competing with TM/AL/Eicher RE buses I think.

JBM seems to be pushing the 230hp CNG variant of the CITYLIFE first. Bus is powered by a 5.9L Cummins engine and is 37-seater. Following the homologation, already received approval from Haryana Transport Authority (not to be confused with STU).