Team-BHP - Indian Navy - A Shipbuilders Navy: INS Nilgiri, INS Godavari & INS Brahmaputra
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Indian Navy - A Shipbuilders Navy: INS Nilgiri, INS Godavari & INS Brahmaputra (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/161202-indian-navy-shipbuilders-navy-ins-nilgiri-ins-godavari-ins-brahmaputra-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by V.Narayan (Post 3875957)
INS Godavari,

Picture of INS Shardul -

Indian Navy - A Shipbuilders Navy: INS Nilgiri, INS Godavari & INS Brahmaputra-insshardul.jpg

How about some interesting tidbits on amphibious warfare vessels of Indian Navy, Narayan?

How do these vessels manage to get so close to the beach? And not get "beached"? Are they pulled out by tugs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 4257534)
How about some interesting tidbits on amphibious warfare vessels of Indian Navy, Narayan? How do these vessels manage to get so close to the beach? And not get "beached"? Are they pulled out by tugs?

Can I ever say no to you?:) On the weekend I'll pen a treatise on how amphibious ships work and the squadron in the Indian Navy. Interesting facts - the largest combat vessel after INS Vikramaditya is an amphibious warfare ship.

I am also toying with the thought of writing a thread on the combat fleet and the auxiliary vessels of the Indian Navy with a little bit of the genesis of how they came to be designed or configured to what they are or the story behind the acquisition. But the size of the effort is daunting.:eek:

INS Ganga, India's second indigenously designed warship decommissioned after 32 years.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...missioned.html

Quote:

INS Ganga, an indigenously built frigate of the Indian Navy, was decommissioned here this evening, after over three decades of service. Commissioned on December 30, 1985, the ship represented a big step forward in the nation's warship building capability, an official statement issued here tonight said.The ceremony was attended by several officers and men many now retired who had served on board the ship. The poignant and impressive ceremony, which saw the naval ensign hauled down for the last time at sunset, was conducted by the last Commanding Officer of the ship Captain NP Pradeep.
During her life she was modernized with Barak Surface-to-Air Missiles and Oto Melara 76mm dual purpose gun. She was primarily an ASW (anti-submarine warfare) frigate with offensive anti-ship capabilities and short range anti-air defense. The 2 Westland Seaking choppers were her primary assets for ASW, anti-ship and recce tasks. Of the three 'Godavari class ships only the last built, INS Gomati, remains in service. Interestingly the Navy now has only six ships powered by good old reliable steam turbines. Gas turbines and medium speed diesels are today's prime movers.

The fact that the IN is decommissioning ships at the optimum age is a good sign because it indicates that new vessels are joining the fleet and older ones don't have to be dragged on past their years at great cost. Optimum service life ranges are 25 to 28 years for smaller warships like corvettes, 32 to 37 years for frigates and destroyers and 40 to 45 years for carriers.

Indian Navy - A Shipbuilders Navy: INS Nilgiri, INS Godavari & INS Brahmaputra-663674newinsganga.jpg
Anti-Submarine, guided missile frigate, INS Ganga

clap:Dear Sir, kudos on a very painstaking
effort from a serving officer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V.Narayan (Post 3654868)
Indian Navy - A Shipbuilders Navy - INS Nilgiri, INS Godavari & INS Brahmaputra classes of Frigates

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsparx (Post 4533860)
clap:Dear Sir, kudos on a very painstaking
effort from a serving officer.

Thank you Sir. I take that as a compliment and honour. My father served 39 years with the service and for the first 18 years of my life I knew every piece of MES furniture by heart!! I notice this is your 3rd post ever. We would love to have your participation on this forum. There are a few more on the Navy and on aviation (used to be my line).

A few more essays are inside me and will come out in time. I want to record this rich recent history of the Navy and IAF in easy to read form so that the younger generation know there is more to their heritage than instagrams and video games (oops that's the oldie in me speaking up).

INS Gomti to decommission on 28th May 2022

https://www.deccanherald.com/nationa...p-1111768.html

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/luck...w/91528374.cms

INS Gomti, the third ship in the Godavari class of guided missile frigates will end her 24 year career tomorrow. It is proposed to convert her into a museum and berth her up river in the Gomati at Lucknow*. This is particularly dear to my heart.

INS Gomti was the first warship to feature digital electronics when she joined the fleet in 1988. As a part of the Godavari class she represents the first attempt by the Indian Navy & Maz Docks to design a build a successful major warship indigenously. She is a part of our learning curve of how to design & build warships. Today's Vikrant-II is a direct result of those lessons imbibed with great effort. In that respect she is an integral part of our naval history and I do hope she is preserved.

*How this will be managed is to be seen!

Indian Navy - A Shipbuilders Navy: INS Nilgiri, INS Godavari & INS Brahmaputra-ins_gomati.jpg
Being configured to carry two Sea Kings was a force multiplier for this ship and a significant achievement for naval designers of that era. When this class was designed in the 1970s we had not yet learnt how to design big hulls so we designed what we could {a 10% upscale of the Leander} and crammed it with all the weapons we needed. Today having graduated up the skill curve we first decide what weapons we need for the role the ship is expected to play and then wrap around that weapons suite the largest hull that the propulsion system of choice can drive to a ~32 knot speed.

Indian Navy - A Shipbuilders Navy: INS Nilgiri, INS Godavari & INS Brahmaputra-1o-godavari.jpg
Re-pasting an old photo of mine from earlier in this thread as we write the swan song of this wonderful class of frigates. For me this is all very nostalgic. as a child and later as a teenager I witnessed, from the visitors gallery, the launching or commissioning of some of the ships on this thread. In the 1970s the launchings of these ships was a moment of immense pride living as we did in an India that did not even design its own scooters and was viewed with derision as a bread basket case by the West. There is a reasonable chance that within my lifetime I'll witness from the first INS Nilgiri to the first indigenous SSN.

Name:  insgomati 2.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  116.4 KB
As she looked after her 2011 modernization which added the Oto Melara 76mm in the fore and the Barak 1 forward of the bridge.