Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors to supply 4000 buses to state transport authorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Looks like it is headed for Kerala from the colors.
Why on earth would they need to ferry a Bus like this?

Can't it be driven down? Or is this another scam in the making huh

Would the bus not be more fuel efficient than the truck they are ferrying in?
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

Would the bus not be more fuel efficient than the truck they are ferrying in?
A few probable reasons:
1. The KSRTC, which is the end customer, would receive the buses with 0km on the odo (now think of seeing a few hundred km on the odo of our brand new car delivered to our doors)
2. It is safer for the buses, as the probability of damages in transit would be lower
3. The buses won't be abused by delivery drivers (doesn't happen all the time, but do consider how some of the brand new cars are handled by dealers' drivers)
4. The FE of the buses might be lower, compared to the trailer that they ride on.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 20:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
A few probable reasons:
Also consider that the one of the biggest cost of operating commercial vehicles is the tyre cost. This practice ensures tyre are not worn out over patchy highways, non-existent roads etc.
Generally the practice with this type of Mercurio Pallia trailers is there are multiple vehicles (max 3) which can be ferried together.
turbospooler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 21:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
This practice ensures tyre are not worn out over patchy highways, non-existent roads etc.
That's also a reason!
Quote:
Generally the practice with this type of Mercurio Pallia trailers is there are multiple vehicles (max 3) which can be ferried together.
If it were trucks or chassis, yes, up to 3 can be accommodated. But with a full-size bus, things get tricky because of the body.

A pic for reference:
Tata Motors to supply 4000 buses to state transport authorities-trailer.jpg

Last edited by silversteed : 2nd April 2015 at 21:17.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 23:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Ashokleyland was the one who initiated this kind of ToT (Truck on Truck) deliveries ever since 2009.
Entire lot of Tarmac coaches, Boss, Captain, JanBus are all transported by ToT. Even Ecomet, School Buses were transported.
Actually it cost almost 3 times the cost of transportation when done by ToT, especially when single chassis is transported. But manufacturers take this route only to deliver a fresh product.
But unlike as quoted, Chassis is subjected to severe wear and tyre when transported by road.
Poor handling by drivers, removijg engine oils, GB oils, enroute accidents,
Towing them without driving, tyre damages are some of the concerns normally happen. So to avoid them they are done through Truck.
That too in case of fully built vehicles, the damages are very high and it's difficult to repair as well.
Ashokleyland did try transporting through Trains. But due to loading and unloading issues and lack of support from SR, this is yet to take shape.
Old 5th April 2015, 16:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few probable reasons:
1. With 0km on the odo
2. It is safer for the buses,
3. The buses won't be abused
4. The FE of the buses might be lower,
Mate, Sorry all the probables you have given are just excuses to be honest.

These Engines come with a minimum of 8-10 Lakh KMs. So running them for a few hundreds will not kill the engine.

Safety: These buses will ply 24/7 on the road. Does that mean safety is thrown out of window?

Abuse of Buses: The bus engines have a higher tolerance for abuse when compared to Cars. And do keep in mind, these buses are driven in shifts by multiple drivers.

FE: Am not getting there as I would let you do the math

Quote:
Also consider that the one of the biggest cost of operating commercial vehicles is the tyre cost. This practice ensures tyre are not worn out over patchy highways, non-existent roads etc.
Tyre: Agree that its the Tire Cost which is the biggest cost but would that mean that transporting in a trailer is cheaper than buying a brand new set of Tires? Penny Wise...Let me not complete the second part

Yes if its 3 being ferried together I agree on your concept. Basically you are being FE by transporting the 3 together instead of just 1.
Old 5th April 2015, 17:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Tyre: Agree that its the Tire Cost which is the biggest cost but would that mean that transporting in a trailer is cheaper than buying a brand new set of Tires? Penny Wise...Let me not complete the second part

Yes if its 3 being ferried together I agree on your concept. Basically you are being FE by transporting the 3 together instead of just 1.

The cost of replacing all the 6 tyres would be around INR 2-3 lakhs. Also, the main issue here is that the delivery of the vehicle needs to be in mint condition otherwise the STU will not take deliver, the point Silversteed made was about that.

Also, the FE benefits are not the only ones reaped by transporting multiple vehicles at the same time. You need only 1 driver + 1 cleaner which has become a major concern (due to shortage of drivers). The risk of delivering damaged goods is reduced significantly. Rampant issues like oil robbery, mixing of kerosene in diesel to save a buck are also avoided.
Also, the trailer may have already delivered 1 or 2 vehicles and may be onward to deliver the final item.
Old 5th April 2015, 21:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The cost of replacing all the 6 tyres would be around INR 2-3 lakhs.
Mate,
Apologies, one tire on Snapdeal costs you around 14668. So I would let you do the maths for those 6 tires. (http://www.snapdeal.com/product/jk-t...t-r/2040621639)

I agree with you that by transporting 3 Trucks/Chassis in a single Trailer makes lot of sense.

But I would still suggest that transporting one Bus in a Single Trailer just does not cut the ice
Old 5th April 2015, 21:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mate, Sorry all the probables you have given are just excuses to be honest...
Not sure what your source of info is, mine is from some of the operators AND from some of the OEM vendors.

True, that bus and truck engines run for over 10L km. Provided, they are maintained well. On a trip from the TMML factory in Dharwad (or from the Ennor plant for AL) to the KSRTC HQ in Thiruvananthapuram, about 1000km one way, do you think all the delivery drivers are saints to be using the correct gear, never lugging, not pilfering the engine oil, diesel, etc? The manufacturer will have to pay the price if the bus develops snags soon after delivery (thanks to improper handling on the way).

For FBVs such as the one in question, it's not easy to have the bodywork repaired flawlessly (how would you feel, if you realise that the brand new car that got delivered to you has a tinkered and repainted bumper?), if the bus gets damaged in transit, due to accidents, stone-chips, robbery attempts, etc.

About the FE, the buses have a 180hp engine, which along with the gear ratios, in order to comply with the UBS-II norms, will be tuned for better acceleration, while the trailer carrying the bus will be tuned for better FE.
Old 6th April 2015, 11:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
BMTC is asking for a refund for the TATA Marcopolo buses!

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...ews_2015-04-02
This looks more like a political game, as the people who ordered these buses themselves are crying hoarse. TMML has not sold this particular model, LPO1618 RE, to any other STU for AC bus operation. I'm not letting TMML off the hook for their sub-par product, but only mentioning that the BMTC is also to be blamed for ordering such a product without doing enough homework.
Old 7th April 2015, 12:25   #41
BHPian

^^
Yes, I too agree on the point that this is a political game. I don't follow Karnataka politics but if I'm not mistaken, these buses were ordered during the previous regime.

Anyway, I don't think this contention will stand a chance in the court of law as TML should have delivered the product as per the specs and the specs must have been released by BMTC. And finally the point of fixing the specs, now that is a different debate and topic all together.
Old 8th April 2015, 21:22   #42
BHPian

Quote:
This looks more like a political game, as the people who ordered these buses themselves are crying hoarse. TMML has not sold this particular model, LPO1618 RE, to any other STU for AC bus operation. I'm not letting TMML off the hook for their sub-par product, but only mentioning that the BMTC is also to be blamed for ordering such a product without doing enough homework.
I will blame TMML only for this case. Why?
  • Because before selling a product to a particular STU, why have they not done any homework?
  • Why they designed an underpowered model without proper testing?
  • If they knew that this product wont survive the need of a RE bus then why they took this bus into the quotation?
  • They could have easily backed up or even convinced BMTC for an up gradation to 1624RE. Why was that not communicated?
  • And above all this makes a feel that TML looked only for profit with this customer and not a long term relationship.
The fault with BMTC
  • They never tested the product before purchase and was too eager to go ahead with the order.
urzdeepu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 01:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....TMML has not sold this particular model, LPO1618 RE, to any other STU for AC bus operation. I'm not letting TMML off the hook for their sub-par product, but only mentioning that the BMTC is also to be blamed for ordering such a product without doing enough homework.

This is a complete wrong information, which people are trying to cover up.
Tata didn't have any other model apart from this. This made them to offer the product and BMTC chose them. I feel the part of more with respect to manufacturer rather than STU. B
In case of DTC, low floor buses were first time in country, BS III CNG was not heard early, and its the only STU to have such buses. Today if buses are not running good can we blame DTC?
The responsibility lies with Manufacturer and not with STU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks