Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2015, 03:24   #16
BANNED

Re: Gulfstream G650 comes to India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I have seen it quite a few times and only once I observed it came to Bangalore, that too during Aero India.
Wow, you've seen it in person !? I know for a fact that many private planes (owned by private companies/individuals) come to Aero India too, almost as if it was a show-off contest. So for sure we cannot rule out anything because of its presence at Aero India.

I also think that no state owned company would be allowed to pamper its management like this for obvious reasons, so anything Govt of India affiliated is out of the question.
Old 1st April 2015, 09:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure if this plane has hit Indian shores. The registration definitely seems Indian since it starts with VT-xxx. However, DGCA registry doesn't show any records of this registration:

URL: http://dgca.nic.in/aircraft/reg-ind.htm

Try VT-AKU, VT-KGB, VT-ANA and you'll notice that the site actually works.

Gulfstream G650 comes to India!-gulfstrea.jpg

The same picture posted by the OP has been used on Twitter by @bizjets101 and was clicked at Longbeach California where Gulfstream has a service center.

EDIT: Poonawalla does seem to have the G550 in their fleet Source

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st April 2015 at 09:34.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 10:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Though OT but while wtaching those 70-80's movies, I wonder what happened to all those helicopters/aircrafts that were used in these movies.
Wouldn't they make one hell of a classic collection, only if one can find and collect them. Restoration for aesthetics may be possible too.
I for one would love to collect them.
Gulfstream G650 comes to India!-jayanhelicopterstunt.jpg

Any leads?

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 12:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
]

Any leads?
Little Nelly, the gyrocopter used by James Bond in the movie You only live twice sits somewhere in a museum in Suffolk, not too far from our house in Ipswich:

http://commanderbond.net/5235/james-...on-museum.html

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 13:12   #20
BHPian

Well the Bajaj's new G5000 is such a dream to look at. I'd take that over the G650 anyday. Managed a sneak peak inside it at VAPO, gorgeous interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
I was informed by a friend of the same. I will try and get more info on this.

I was informed that this was in addition to the Phenom.
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:06   #21
ahm

Either the DGCA website is not upto date or there is serious mistake/ problem here.

Please visit

http://dgca.nic.in/aircraft/reg-ind.htm

VT-NKR gives you nothing. Which I am assuming means its not in the register.
VT-CPA does.

Similarly, the list of available marks shows VT-NKR as available!!!

http://dgca.nic.in/caris/av_marks.htm
ahm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:30   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

No I didn't see it in person. One day prior to Aero India this bird landed in HAL airport. However the transponder didn't show registration, origin or destination and only its flight path was shown. Guess it is not yet registered and since the registration mark is painted, it was done in advance at the factory. Corrections are welcome.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:41   #23
BANNED

The fact that it's not on any plane spotting site says a lot . Plane spotters are an enthusiastic bunch and a G650 cannot go unseen. This must be brand spanking new, as it was spotted in the Completion Center. Only time will tell about its home and the owner of this mysterious plane.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 2nd April 2015 at 11:44.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 17:54   #24
BHPian

Garbage plane.

If anyone interacts with any true business jet owners, you would discover that Gulfstream, 550 or 650 wasn't actually the best choice because of its narrow body which is fairly claustrophobic.

Especially, when you travel long haul. Creates a kind of tunnelling effect.

The best business jet to be sold in India, is by far the Global Express XRS.

wide body, long range, silent.

Gulfstream makes a racket like ford 150 truck. American, cheap, and analogous to the gooey gunk, that the US passes off as Nacho sauce.

The Global Express XRS is insane. Made by bombardier, the same Canadian company which makes many regional jets flying in India, and famed for making trains as well.

I might even prefer the Challenger to the Gulfstream.

FYI - have travelled on Gulfstream 550, bombardier challenger and the Global Express XRS. No, I am not rich, but worked for a fairly rich man for a number of years as Executive Officer to Chairman. I also evaluated all business aircrafts, to make a purchase decision for one. Finally purchased the Global Express XRS for 70 Million USD, in about 2009.
Nucliomaniac is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:06   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Gulfstream G650 comes to India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucliomaniac View Post
Garbage plane.

If anyone interacts with any true business jet owners, you would discover that Gulfstream, 550 or 650 wasn't actually the best choice because of its narrow body which is fairly claustrophobic.

Especially, when you travel long haul. Creates a kind of tunnelling effect.

The best business jet to be sold in India, is by far the Global Express XRS.

wide body, long range, silent.

Gulfstream makes a racket like ford 150 truck. American, cheap, and analogous to the gooey gunk, that the US passes off as Nacho sauce.

The Global Express XRS is insane. Made by bombardier, the same Canadian company which makes many regional jets flying in India, and famed for making trains as well.

Glad to see we have somebody that is knowledgeable on business jets. An executive officer no less. So tell us, other then calling a plane garbage could you enlighten us as to how you evaluated these business jets?

Jeroen

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th April 2015 at 13:30. Reason: Shortening / removing blank space from quote. :)
Old 3rd April 2015, 22:46   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucliomaniac View Post
Finally purchased the Global Express XRS for 70 Million USD, in about 2009.

Can these be financed too like a regular car or is it all 100% cash down ? I find it difficult that any company in the world would want to dump 70 million in one go for one asset that serves so few. I mean that's just a huge number on any balance sheet unless we're talking about some goliath corporation.

Thanks for you input, please share your thoughts on the Dassault Falcon if possible too. I see that this is the most common aircraft used by the elite of this world. I noticed that anyone who's a someone in big business has one.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 3rd April 2015 at 23:03.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:14   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So tell us, other then calling a plane garbage could you enlighten us as to how you evaluated these business jets?

Jeroen
Did you miss the part about the cabin space, tunneling effect, and engine noise?

Why quote the entire post then?

Cheers
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 00:52   #28
BHPian

Aah! One for Reliance eh! VT-HMA!

Well I'd believe that if you had gone in for a Gulfstream, you'd need a whole set of new crew to operate that bird while you had an existing fleet of Bombardiers which have a common type rating hence can be operated by the same set of crew. Add to that spares, maintenance, AME's, training, etc.... Of course it made sense to go for the GloEx instead of anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Did you miss the part about the cabin space, tunneling effect, and engine noise?

Why quote the entire post then?

Cheers
duke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 06:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Can these be financed too like a regular car or is it all 100% cash down ? I find it difficult that any company in the world would want to dump 70 million in one go for one asset that serves so few. I mean that's just a huge number on any balance sheet unless we're talking about some goliath corporation.
Yes, they can and often are financed.

It is a huge number, mind you at least money wise this is one of the more expensive ones, although you can spend more.

I don't want to pass ultimate judgement if these sort of amounts make sense, but here are a few considerations corporations have.

CEOs of large public companies are, when they do well, a huge asset. Anything happens to them the stock price and the company is likely to take a severe hit. Subsequently, corporates make it obligatory for the CEO and other key executives to travel by private (business) jet.

The next criteria is time. I know our executive team has an unbelievable tight schedule. They will travel around the world in about three weeks. Meet 2-3 customers per day, they eat and sleep on the plane. They only visit a hotel to shower and freshen up for an hour or so and then move on. So they get so see and do 50-60 customers meetings in the space of 3 weeks in about 40-50 countries.

Last edited by noopster : 6th April 2015 at 13:31. Reason: Check your PM
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 12:00   #30
BHPian

I hitched a ride on a G-IV some months ago, it was incredible. At least for me it was. My ex-boss was at the helm and I got a good view of things, including differential pressurization that lets them climb high enough to get directs. the common fallacy is that biz jets fly faster (typically) while they have a higher cruise, it comes with fuel penalties. The biz jets typically have higher service ceiling that allows them to climb above traffic and go for directs than waypoints. example we climbed out of cal to 410 and got a direct to raipur and then nagpur gave us a direct to bombay. Shaved almost 20mins off the normal routing at 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Yes, they can and often are financed.

It is a huge number, mind you at least money wise this is one of the more expensive ones, although you can spend more.

I don't want to pass ultimate judgement if these sort of amounts make sense, but here are a few considerations corporations have.

CEOs of large public companies are, when they do well, a huge asset. Anything happens to them the stock price and the company is likely to take a severe hit. Subsequently, corporates make it obligatory for the CEO and other key executives to travel by private (business) jet.

The next criteria is time. I know our executive team has an unbelievable tight schedule. They will travel around the world in about three weeks. Meet 2-3 customers per day, they eat and sleep on the plane. They only visit a hotel to shower and freshen up for an hour or so and then move on. So they get so see and do 50-60 customers meetings in the space of 3 weeks in about 40-50 countries.

Jeroen

Last edited by noopster : 6th April 2015 at 14:01. Reason: Quoted post edited
duke is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks