Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2020, 08:43   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Boeing 747: End of the Jumbo Jet era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Revisiting this old thread. Because, unfortunately the end of the Jumbo era has definitely come. Or at least for the passenger versions. Many carriers are phasing out their passenger versions.
Look at the bitter irony. The Queen of skies that made possible affordable Mass travel, today retired without having those very masses to cheer her up from below.

Last edited by ampere : 6th April 2020 at 09:17. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 6th April 2020, 09:06   #77
BHPian

Why exactly is the 747-400 being retired?

Is this the one referred to as the *Megatop* by some airlines? (SIA, I think)
Old 6th April 2020, 10:55   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Boeing 747: End of the Jumbo Jet era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Why exactly is the 747-400 being retired?

Is this the one referred to as the *Megatop* by some airlines? (SIA, I think)

The 747-400 passenger version and combi are simply not economic anymore to operate. Airlines have been retiring them for the last few years. KLM brought the retirement forward due to the Corona crisis. Cargo versions are still flying and will so for some time. In fact some new cargo liners are being built, the latest 747-800.

It was indeed Singapore airlines who started to refer to their 747s as Megatop.

http://cruisingaltitude1002.blogspot.com/2016/03/singapore-airlines-boeing-747-400.html

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 11:03   #79
Senior - BHPian

The Jumbo Jet was iconic and majestic. I remember seeing few AI 747s at Mumbai and Delhi airports. Sadly never got a chance to fly in them. This year, finally planned a trip to Germany and my flight on the way back was supposed to be a Lufthansa 747-400. But now its uncertain due to the whole coronavirus situation.
Old 6th April 2020, 15:53   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The Jumbo Jet was iconic and majestic. I remember seeing few AI 747s at Mumbai and Delhi airports. Sadly never got a chance to fly in them. This year, finally planned a trip to Germany and my flight on the way back was supposed to be a Lufthansa 747-400. But now its uncertain due to the whole coronavirus situation.
Air India's 747 though iconic are in very bad condition. They badly need to overhaul or junk them. The last one I travelled in november 2019 was all rickety and vibrating like a thundering goods train. The interiors were all soiled with I think no cleaning done in months, broken trays and what not. Sadly that's the state of our "MAHARAJA"
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 17:12   #81
BHPian

When I first traveled on a KLM 747 back in 2016 ( on the upper deck no less ), I didn't know that there were other carriers still running these beasts. So I was surprised when I booked a ticket to Detroit via Frankfurt in 2019 and the ticket said that it would be a 747 that would take us from Bangalore to Frankfurt.
I hope that Lufthansa keeps running these for some time, as there is nothing close to the comfort of flying in a super jumbo. I hope I get the chance to fly the A380 before they go out of commission.
Old 6th April 2020, 17:20   #82
Senior - BHPian

Shot this baby from my terrace on 29-03-2020 morning...A cargo version of the 747B SIA these are the only planes plying the skies these days...Nikon D3200+Tamron 150-600mm...
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing 747: End of the Jumbo Jet era?-topaz-1036-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 6th April 2020 at 17:22.
Durango Dude is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 03:07   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 747-400 passenger version and combi are simply not economic anymore to operate. Airlines have been retiring them for the last few years. Cargo versions are still flying and will so for some time. In fact some new cargo liners are being built, the latest 747-800.

Jeroen
I have a question. If the passenger version of 747 is not viable to operate, why is the cargo version still viable?
Old 7th April 2020, 08:33   #84
BHPian

My favorite video of the magnificent birds of Air India. Those are just lovely to watch.
ask_017 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 08:57   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I have a question. If the passenger version of 747 is not viable to operate, why is the cargo version still viable?
The commercials of cargo work very differently from passenger flying. You are paid by a mix of weight and volume and the airline usually or almost always flies either maxxed out on weight or on volume. Further the sheer volume of the 747 makes it very attractive for economies of scale. As a passenger carrier an aircraft rarely ever carries the full payload by weight. Plus the front loading nose vizer door has its own advantages for over sized cargo. Because of these factors any aircraft can fly profitably as a cargo carrier long after it is not viable as a pax carrier. Even regular passenger flights like carrying cargo as it adds more than proprtionately, like business class, to the profits. Economy class just pays for its own costs. Till this CV led lockdown and economic slowdown demand for space for air cargo usually on most sectors exceeded supply by a little. Given that very few An-124s were built, the only other with a nose vizer door*, I'd expect the 747 to be flying as a cargo carrier easily till 2040.

*ignoring the An-226 as only one unit is operational.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 21:53   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Revisiting this old thread. Because, unfortunately the end of the Jumbo era has definitely come. Or at least for the passenger versions. Many carriers are phasing out their passenger versions.
Every era has to come to an end I suppose.

My first overseas trip ever was on Emperor Ashoka - the first 747 of Air India. Was an UAM (Unattended Minor) and there were three of us in that category - to keep an eye on us perhaps AI put us all in the "upstairs" and we were really thrilled.

The following is probably very symbolic perhaps, though OT

The decommissioned 747 of Gulf Air being transported on a barge from Port Isa, Bahrain - to be dumped in sea to become an artificial reef and diving wreck.

Boeing 747: End of the Jumbo Jet era?-whatsapp-image-20200409-21.35.38.jpeg

Even on the barge, she looks majestic - "The Queen of the Sky"

Adios !

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th April 2020 at 13:21. Reason: Expanded abbreviation.
r_nairtvm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 12:30   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Every era has to come to an end I suppose.

My first overseas trip ever was on Emperor Ashoka - the first 747 of Air India. Was an UAM and there were three of us in that category - to keep an eye on us perhaps AI put us all in the "upstairs" and we were really thrilled.
Ah the Emperor Ashoka. The ill fated plane that eventually crashed off BOM airport later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The following is probably very symbolic perhaps, though OT

The decommissioned 747 of Gulf Air being transported on a barge from Port Isa, Bahrain - to be dumped in sea to become an artificial reef and diving wreck.
So true. Looks fantastic even on that last journey as a piggy backer without even the engines. Interestingly - all the entry/exits are closed on what is to be sunk as a diving site. I wonder why that would be.

This is one grime that I'll have. Has always been THE favourite plane since childhood. Always dreamed of flying one some day. Have flown on almost all modern jets that do international hops from 320s to 380s. But for one reason or the other - NEVER got to fly the 747. A couple of times the plane was changed just before the travel to some other one due to logistic/technical reasons. What a disappointment. I don't foresee any long distance international travels for quite some time in future now. So the queen of the skies sure will be history in passenger services when time comes.
Old 10th April 2020, 14:13   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
This is one grime that I'll have. Has always been THE favourite plane since childhood. Always dreamed of flying one some day. Have flown on almost all modern jets that do international hops from 320s to 380s. But for one reason or the other - NEVER got to fly the 747. A couple of times the plane was changed just before the travel to some other one due to logistic/technical reasons. What a disappointment. I don't foresee any long distance international travels for quite some time in future now. So the queen of the skies sure will be history in passenger services when time comes.
I know how that feels. I always wanted to fly on the Boeing 707, Lockheed Tristar and the DC-10. Only once did I manage it in a DC-10 (Japan Airlines) but sadly never on the other two. By the time I started flying internationally in 1982 the 707 was already going out of fashion and the Tristar was only operated out of India by British Airways. As if to compensate for that I did get to fly on the following not so usual (for someone resident in India) aircraft - British Aerospace ATP, BAe 146 Shorts 360, Let 410 and the prize of them all the IL-62 of LOT Airlines (long ago before the cold war ended)
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 15:17   #89
Senior - BHPian

A airplane graveyard in California which Youtuber Sam Chui visited which had lots of 747's

tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 15:38   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
This is one grime that I'll have. Has always been THE favourite plane since childhood. Always dreamed of flying one some day.
It was indeed a dream on Emperor Ashoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I know how that feels.
Don't know if you have experienced the 1st Class of AI 747, when they were at their best. The specially dressed Cabin Crew and all - made you feel you were a Maharajah.

Few Pics will explain the feeling better

Boeing 747: End of the Jumbo Jet era?-ai-ashoka-1st-class-2.jpg

Boeing 747: End of the Jumbo Jet era?-ai-ashoka-1st-class-1.jpg

Boeing 747: End of the Jumbo Jet era?-ai-ashoka-1st-class.jpg

Source: https://www.architecturaldigest.in/c...india/#s-cust0

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks