Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 13:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Speed governors on all commercial vehicles from Oct 1, 2015

One look at the 'Accidents in India' thread on the Team-BHP forum shows the high percentage of accidents involve a truck or commercial vehicle. The road transport ministry has now found a way to curtail high speed mishaps. Starting October 1, 2015, all commercial vehicles such as trucks, tempos, mini buses, buses etc. will need to install speed governors to limit their maximum speed to 80 km/h.

These speed governors will have to be installed either at the time of production of these vehicles or retro-fitted at the dealer level. Existing vehicles will need to install these devices by April 1, 2016. Interestingly, this proposal was passed last year as well (link to news article)

School buses, dumpers and vehicles carrying hazardous goods will require to limit their top speed to 60 km/h. On the other hand, vehicles used by police, fire departments, ambulances and vehicles with up to nine passenger seats (including the driver) are not required to install any speed governor.

This is a welcome move to reduce fatalities caused on our highways due to speeding. Recently, the Government of India made ABS mandatory on all commercial vehicles in the country too, thus ensuring maneuverability of these vehicle under panic braking situations. We wish stricter enforcement of road rules follows suit to minimize illegal turns, driving on the wrong side of the road and enforcing lane discipline among other things.

Speed governors on all commercial vehicles from Oct 1, 2015-commercial-vehicles.jpg

Source: The Economic Times

Last edited by S2!!! : 5th May 2015 at 13:49.
S2!!! is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 14:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Speed governors on all commercial vehicles from Oct 1, 2015

One more of those; with zilch implementation of these tall plans.

> ABS is still not mandatory- As far as I know the deadline was April 2015.

> All cars were supposed to include ABS & airbags in all models- I did not notice.

> Govt. banned vehicles carrying protruding rods from their carriage ramp- I still see that happening everyday uncountable number of times.

> Some BNVSAP was set up to crash test all cars selling in India - Far from reality.

> A lot more of these.

And as the post says- these speed governers were to be installed from October 2014 but it did not happen. We have a new deadline now.

Quote from news article:
Quote:
The speed governors will have to be fitted on the vehicles manufactured on or after October 1, 2014 either in the manufacturing stage or dealership stage.
Yes, I know I am sounding pessimistic about the system but all these because I know what to expect.

Thanks!
saket77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 15:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

A good move and let us hope that this rule is implemented before the file starts gathering dust when the Truckers and Private Transport operators' associations raise their voice against it and the Govt. gives in to this mafia!

Remember what happened to the Truck ban rule in Bangalore. Things are back to normal after they objected. Its funny but true that Bangalore roads welcomes trucks from all directions, into all areas and on the narrowest possible sections at all times!

Apart from this rule, there are some real concerns currently dogging our highways wherever you travel:
  • Our country has miserably failed in effectively implementing lane discipline. Now that trucks cannot cross 60Kmph (hopefully after Oct 2015), private cars will have to crawl while 2 trucks hog both the lane (3 in case of certain expressways) failing to overtake each other. Similar will be the case with most of the Private buses. You can actually put the car in Autopilot mode and finish a game of chess with your co-passenger till one of the trucks slows down to create gap only because there is a stationary sand lorry with non functional tail lamps on the fast lane!
  • We have super fast 6 lane corridors and at the same time, we have lots of gap in the medians designed to allow local traffic to cross against fast traffic
  • If our country makes 10 lane highway, the first lane will be for parking 3 wheelers and petty Tempos, Marshals, Commanders, Sumos, Boleros and Traxes to pick and drop passengers by the road side (I don't want to talk about 4 lane as we all know that)
  • An influential Hotelier will ensure a U-Turn comes up right in front of his eatery no matter how dangerous the spot is for making a U-Turn
  • Cops holding Speedguns will jump in front of you right out of the median expecting you to simply stop - Hence, they are also mandating ABS so that no one crashes into you
In all honesty, this most likely shall remain a dream. The lobby is very strong that they can in turn get private cars banned on Indian roads. If at all the rule becomes a reality, accidents shall continue as the balance will be maintained such that we will have more bad drivers behind regular cars with white board who would have got a licence to drive any way.

Unless we fix the basics right, things are not going to change.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th May 2015 at 15:33.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 15:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

BMTC is supposed to have speed governors on its buses.

But none has it. I see these buses clocking nearly 100 kmph on NICE roads and the BETL elevated tollway. They cut lanes and tailgate hapless two wheeler with brazen impunity . I shudder to even think what will happen to the two wheeler if he decides to slow down a bit rapidly or applies brakes.

If the government controlled organizations flout the norms with such impunity then i do not think they will be able to implement these rules on all commercial vehicles

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 5th May 2015 at 15:50.
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 16:09   #5
BHPian

Good move but the drivers manage to disconnect the speed governors. Unless there are stringent checks to ascertain its not mishandled the law is going to go in vain.

Why not enforce speed limit to noncommerical LMV's as well. Even the best expressways have a design limit of not more than 120-130 kmph but we often see noncommercial vehicles whizzing beyond the acceptable limit.
Prash22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 19:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Most gruesome accidents happen at speeds above 80kmph. But that number is insignificant. Most accidents in city limits happen at much lower speeds. Car crash tests are done at 40kmph. A huge 6 wheeler at 80kmph still carries a lot of momentum. We are biased because 80kmph in a car seems controllable.
Speed limits are just legislation. A distracted driver at 20kmph can cause more damage that a race car driver at 320kmph. Speed is not bad. It's the driver who is ultimately responsible. Even if we impose a speed limit of 20kmph, the number of accidents will not change significantly. The fatalities may reduce, but the injuries will remain. School buses with speed restricters are often the most rashly driven.
At speed you concentrate on the road and surroundings. While slow, you chat with your co passengers, on the mobile, change your kid's diaper, etc. If I see a slow moving car or motorcycle holding up traffic, I know that guy is on the phone and it's always true.
Please don't support stupid rules which are created just to impose fines. Or to promote railways. Road transport is gaining on railways only because of speed. A scientific reasoning is more important. Incentives based on safety, driver education, vehicke fitness, etc. are better ways to deal with our road safety.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 09:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Those who believe that making a 'speed governor' mandatory will reduce the number of accidents live in a fool's paradise. While it looks good on paper, the reality is entirely different. Speed governors are mandatory in Kerala, with buses having their top speed limited to 60kmph. The number of accidents involving private buses inside Kochi city, which is one of the most congested cities now, thanks to the metro construction and virtually non-existent drainage system that makes many parts of the city flooded even with a small shower, has been on the rise. Trucks and buses when loaded do not need to attain 60kmph to become deadly projectiles, all they need is one nut behind the wheel, to cause mayhem.

My POV is that until and unless the process of issuing CV licenses is made strict, ie., issue a license only after conducting tests and verifying the knowledge level needed to be given the responsibility of many lives - which may include the basics of ensuring the roadworthiness of his/her vehicle, to adjusting the driving according to the load and terrain, and the concerned authorities such as RTAs and Traffic Cops ensure that the rules are complied with, there is no point in simply setting a speed limit for CVs.

Road will get better, vehicles will get better and more fuel efficient. Limiting the top speeds and putting speed breakers/signals on highways are band-aid solutions. Instead of limiting the top speeds of CVs, enforce logically sound speed limits (no point setting a 40kmph limit on a straight section devoid of any population or vegetation on either side) on the roads, using speed cameras.
silversteed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 11:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Speed is not bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Those who believe that making a 'speed governor' mandatory will reduce
IMHO - The higher the speed, the greater the probability of a crash and the severity of the crashes. By reducing speed, the likelihood of surviving or avoiding injury is far greater.
Study by NIMHANS says 'Execessive and inappropriate speed has been recognized as one of the major contributing factors for increasing road crashes'

The survival rates for pedestrians hit by a car travelling at 50 kmph are far less than those struck at 20 kmph. This is why speed limits are lower at school zones. If speed limit has no benefits we can always drive at a higher speed in school zones.
No technology can completely overcome the laws of Physics in terms of stopping distances and the severity of the impact.
Old 6th May 2015, 11:57   #9
BHPian

Along with the speed governors, there should be some heavy vehicle driving education and stringent enforcement. As many have highlighted the speed is not the only danger from these heavy vehicles, the following are few others:
1. Rash driving (not only speed)
2. Poor Maintenance leads to un-predictable failures while running
3. Extending from point 2, Visiblity. Many of the heavy vehicles dont have functioning tail lamp, brake lights or indicators. Even if it exists it would be fully covered in dust.
4. Proper registration markings on all sides which is visible and not in vernacular language alone.

If you ask me, they should also be fitted with GPS and logs should be produced when required. This would ensure that the location, speed are logged. But thats a pipe dream and could be intruding on privacy.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 13:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash22 View Post
The higher the speed, the greater the probability of a crash and the severity of the crashes...
Reduction in speed does not need the addition of another device called Speed Governor, and provide one more avenue to aid corruption. Enforce the speed limit. Check for the fitness of a vehicle at checkposts or conduct random checks.

You must be aware of the Interceptors that await speeders on the NH7 after city limit begins (towards Bangalore). All those intercity buses from Hyderabad that easily cruise at their top speed (electronically limited to 120kmph for Volvos) on the highway, mellow down and stick to 70-80kmph. So do most of the private vehicles.
Old 6th May 2015, 22:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Why blame only CV drivers. Why not PC drivers. DO all the people driving cars proper driving habits? How many actually did a proper test before getting DL?
There are several accidents happening only because of insane driving of PC drivers.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 12:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

How do these speed limiters work?
Limit RPM? Or detect speed and limit the fuel injection?
Old 7th May 2015, 13:03   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Why blame only CV drivers. Why not PC drivers. DO all the people driving cars proper driving habits? How many actually did a proper test before getting DL?
There are several accidents happening only because of insane driving of PC drivers.
In my experience of highway driving, I have always seen the truckers to be the most disciplined. I may draw some flak on the forum for this statement but this is true in my experience. They may be slow, lane hoggers while overtaking but we should keep in mind that a loaded truck is close to 30-31 tonnes and it takes time to gain momentum. They cannot be quick like our less than a ton hatches and sedans.

The people who are most rash on highways in my experience are:

1. Bus drivers & 407s: May be they want to reach quickly and before other buses to get the passengers for them.

2. Personal Cars: Many personal car drivers see highways as the place to test the limits of their cars, without proper training and practise. For most of the time they are driving on congested roads of the city and the adrenalin rush is obvious at the sight of highways.

3. SUV drivers: We Indians have a lot of faith in SUVs like Bolero, Sumo and Scorpios; not knowing that high speed handling of SUVs are much inferior to a hatchback or a sedan. They are better for potholed roads but high speed manoeuvres are a strict no-no. A lot of people do not get this basic fact and end up turning turtle. Also, sitting in a big SUV (mostly without seat-belts) give many people a false sense of security.

Thanks!

Last edited by saket77 : 7th May 2015 at 13:05.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 13:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Why blame only CV drivers. Why not PC drivers...
My post mentioned CV drivers because the thread is discussing the mandate to have Speed Governors in CVs, and IMO, a bus/truck driver should be more adept and responsible on the road than a car driver (I want the same stringent checks done for issuing all sorts of licenses)

Personal car drivers end up in a ball of mangled metal because of their own deeds - in most cases. In a country where sun films are considered as the cause for atrocities against women inside vehicles, I won't be surprised if some half-baked couch potato bureaucrat or politico brings in a rule to have speed governors fitted on all cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
AFAIK, they detect the speed from the ECU/gearbox and cut off fuel supply beyond the set speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
In my experience of highway driving, I have always seen the truckers to be the most disciplined.
Can't agree with you more! However, many of those driving the tippers/dump trucks can easily outperform most of the wannabe Schumachers in cars, pick-ups and SUVs.
silversteed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 19:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
There are multiple ways it works.
In case of mechanical pumps it works by pulling off the throttle post detecting speed.
Incase of electronic pumps, its very simple - ECU controls everything and fuel cutoff will happen once it reaches necessary speed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks