Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2015, 11:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service

Saw the double axle Scania KSRTC yesterday that runs between Bangalore and Tirupathi.
Good looking bus.

Is the tag axle steerable?

Ignore the autorick who decided to butt in as always.
Attached Thumbnails
KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service-img_20150704_1600512.jpg  

KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service-img_20150704_1606442.jpg  

KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service-img_20150704_1606482.jpg  

Old 5th July 2015, 12:41   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdatta92 View Post
Michelin tyres last 1.1 lakh to 1.2 lakh kms roughly. MRF does about 75k to 80k. The tyres are priced accordingly but still operators prefer Michelin as they have to change less often.

Also as a practice, big operators use new tyres in these long distance coaches and once they wear out they retread them and put them on short distance buses (like 12m staff or tourist) and replace the long distance coaches with newer tyres.
Thanks for the info. 1 lakh seems very good life for a bus tyre. Any idea how much does one tyre cost for the volvo?

Yes, i have seen this reuse of tyres after retreading on many busses- private and KSRTC. However i am not sure if they re use the volvo tyre on other busses since volvo tyres are wider than normal Al12 or the tata busses
Old 6th July 2015, 14:18   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Also as a practice, big operators use new tyres in these long distance coaches and once they wear out they retread them and put them on short distance buses (like 12m staff or tourist) and replace the long distance coaches with newer tyres.
Volvos, Scanias and Mercedes are fitted with 22.5" wheel rims. Most Tatas and AL buses are fitted with 20" rims. So obviously the tyres are not interchangeable. I've observed Michelin tyres which say that they are regrooveable. So my guess is that the tyres are retreaded and reused until safely possible.
Old 6th July 2015, 14:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Michelin tyres last 1.1 lakh to 1.2 lakh kms roughly. MRF does about 75k to 80k. The tyres are priced accordingly but still operators prefer Michelin as they have to change less often.

Bus and Lorry tyres have lower rolling resistance due to their higher inflation pressures. So when car tyres last for about 50k kms, for sure these tyres will last much longer.
I believe Michelin tyres are made of soft rubber that results in lower tyre noise unlike MRF or bridgestone tyres.
Old 6th July 2015, 17:19   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Volvos, Scanias and Mercedes are fitted with 22.5" wheel rims. Most Tatas and AL buses are fitted with 20" rims. So obviously the tyres are not interchangeable. I've observed Michelin tyres which say that they are regrooveable. So my guess is that the tyres are retreaded and reused until safely possible.
Yeah. The Volvo, Scania or Mercedes coaches use 295 80 R 22.5 tires. Nowadays even Tata and AL buses have started using these tires. They often come with 11 R 22.5 tires (have not seen 12 R 22.5 though).
Old 21st July 2015, 13:00   #51
BHPian

I recently traveled on the KSRTC Diamond class service with the Scania buses between Bengaluru and Hyderabad (KA 1615 and 1616). I didn't notice much of a difference in the ticket pricing compared to the Airavat club class buses on this route. Several stowaway/roof mounted video screens in the aisle. Two security cameras clearly visible, one above the driver towards entry door and the other facing the cabin. The entry door step well is wide for easy entry and exit. Seating space was similar to the Airavat club-class with Volvo multi-axle. The bus was riding Michelins.

On speed bumps the bus almost slows down to a halt but a slight jerk is still felt when going over the bump. The outright acceleration of the Volvos isn't just there (or it could just be the bus is still in the run-in period). I found cabin noise to be much higher when compared to the Volvo multi-axle buses (this was echoed by other passengers as well and we noted the same on the feedback forms). Not that Volvo multi-axle cabin is super quiet either, on some buses I did experience annoyingly loud AC overhead fan noise. I always suggest carrying earplugs and a sleep mask on overnight bus journeys.

Overall in terms of ride comfort I would rate the Volvo higher though it appears on the safety front the Scania rates much higher. I would sacrifice on some ride comfort for more safety though. I also felt the Diamond class was being preferred at both Majestic and MGBS for better on-time departure which is a bonus.
trishul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 13:57   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
A black box , on a State transport bus ? As per the advert these are going to ply to neighboring southern states. No service to Mumbai ? As far as I know the Volvos plying the Mumbai route are doing pretty well and are very popular. A new Scania multi-axle will only get in more people.
Apart from this why didn't the Merc multi-axels make the cut ? I think KSRTC has a few of these as well right ? Or it because the RTC gets Scania at a special price considering they have a factory in Hoskote just like Volvo ?
The Volvo's apparently cost lesser in the long run compared to the Mercedes Benz fleet. KSRTC (Karnataka) probably the single largest buyer of Volvos amonst the STUs in India. Scania making inroads with all tech-tweaks, promise of better mileage and same maintenance costs is what's getting operators' attention. AEON Connect has had considerable success with Scania and KSRTC (Kerala) recently put out news in the media about their Scania purchases highlighting the four wheel steering mechanism the buses had which supposedly was going to help their run in the ghats.

The black box is a good idea given how it might help investigators put together a coherent cause after a mishap to see how fast the vehicles was going, state of brakes and other mechanicals. If it can be plugged into a real-time dashboard and monitored it will go a long way in furthering the cause of road safety. I have to admit that the KSRTC (Karnataka) are amongst the safest of buses to take for inter-city journeys.
Old 4th October 2015, 17:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

Today during a ride on Mysore road, saw a fleet of around 15 buses bearing the Airawatha, Diamond class decals in the Scania office near Bidadi. There were a couple more buses without any decals, just plain jane white.

Looks like the KSRTC have taken a liking for these giants.
Old 5th October 2015, 20:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Today during a ride on Mysore road, saw a fleet of around 15 buses bearing the Airawatha, Diamond class decals in the Scania office near Bidadi. There were a couple more buses without any decals, just plain jane white.

Looks like the KSRTC have taken a liking for these giants.
The order was for 35 buses, IIRC. 10 came in the last lot.
Old 27th February 2016, 08:45   #55
BHPian

Visited Pune in KSRTC's Diamond class and wanted to share my experience,
The coach looks appealing in real compared to pics, the comfort level also seemed to be slightly better than Volvo. They have done a good job by placing two TV screens (one at front and one at the centre, thoughtful indeed).
One weird incident which happened was- just when the bus left KSRTC Majestic bus stand, it took a turn towards Rajajinagar and en route there is a small railway underpass. We heard a loud thud noise and realised the roof of the bus has scratched the bridge.
The AC duct on top was the culprit.
KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service-img_20160212_170854722.jpg

After a two hours wait we were sent a new Scania and resumed our Journey.
KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service-img_20160212_170726271.jpg
Old 27th February 2016, 10:21   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the difference between Club Class and Diamond Class service of Airvata?
Old 27th February 2016, 11:42   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What is the difference between Club Class and Diamond Class service of Airvata?
KaSRTC calls their Volvo/Merc multi-axle coaches Airavat Club Class, and the Scania coaches Airavat Diamond Class. The Scania coaches are fitted with OptiCruise AMT, hence passengers are spared of the drone associated with lugging the engine in the Volvo & Merc coaches with MT.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 08:51   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
KaSRTC calls their Volvo/Merc multi-axle coaches Airavat Club Class, and the Scania coaches Airavat Diamond Class. The Scania coaches are fitted with OptiCruise AMT, hence passengers are spared of the drone associated with lugging the engine in the Volvo & Merc coaches with MT.
Not really. Scania drivers in KSRTC continue lugging their buses. They operate it in the Manual mode and achieve this "feat".

Did not expect them to start doing this.
Old 28th February 2016, 12:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Not really. Scania drivers in KSRTC continue lugging their buses. They operate it in the Manual mode and achieve this "feat".

Did not expect them to start doing this.
So there goes the Diamond down the drain.

Looks like the only way to prevent them from achieving this feat is to reprogram the AMT to never shift up unless the minimum rpm is attained. KaSRTC drivers are notorious in this count.

OT: Been missing you in action here (and elsewhere too)

Last edited by silversteed : 28th February 2016 at 12:20.
Old 28th February 2016, 13:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

I saw more than 10 KSRTC Airavat Diamond Class Scania buses today at the Scania dealership near Bidadi today. I guess they were parked there for a long time because I remember seeing them there for quite some time. Are they new buses waiting to be delivered or has there been any recall from Scania? There were a few unpainted buses as well along with these.

Most Viewed