Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2016, 14:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I saw more than 10 KSRTC Airavat Diamond Class Scania buses today at the Scania dealership near Bidadi today. I guess they were parked there for a long time because I remember seeing them there for quite some time. Are they new buses waiting to be delivered or has there been any recall from Scania? There were a few unpainted buses as well along with these.
KSRTC is yet to take delivery of them. Some technical issues being cited.
Old 28th February 2016, 17:32   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Not really. Scania drivers in KSRTC continue lugging their buses. They operate it in the Manual mode and achieve this "feat".
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
OptiCruise AMT, hence passengers are spared of the drone associated with lugging the engine in the Volvo & Merc coaches with MT.
Even if they switch to Manual mode, the AMT should drop a gear or two if it is really being lugged in view of vehicle health. Maybe it can deliver good torque even at low RPMs.

Another doubt I have is that wouldnt lugging the engine decrease clutch life especially in these monster diesel engines? I had seen a sticker inside a TT which said driving below 40kmh in fifth gear would affect the clutch. Upon further investigation I learnt that the engine can deliver good torque even at low RPMs which meets resistance from the transmission side since the gear is tall, making the intermediate clutch suffer.

Why wont these morons at KSRTC realise that they will have to spend a bomb on the clutch sooner than they can save money from fuel?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 19:19   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp1992 View Post
The AC duct on top was the culprit.....
Culprit is actually the driver who hasn't used the kneeling option to reduce the height or had taken a wrong route.

Quote:
Not really. Scania drivers in KSRTC continue lugging their buses. They operate it in the Manual mode and achieve this "feat".

Did not expect them to start doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
So there goes the Diamond down the drain.

Looks like the only way to prevent them from achieving this feat is to reprogram the AMT to never shift up unless the minimum rpm is attained. KaSRTC drivers are notorious in this count.

OT: Been missing you in action here (and elsewhere too)
Opticruse or say Ishift or Leymatic even in manual mode cant technically run in a taller or shorter gear than what it is possible. You cant upshift or even low shift accidentally also as, system will reject the request if given on wrong speed.

Incase of Ishift in Auto mode the system will skip a gear (In normal plains it will start from 3 or 4th gear move to 6th then to 8th etc..) if it feels necessary torque is there for next higher gear. If in slight gradient it will even skip 3 gears on need basis.

The problem is manual mode doesn't upshift even if you continue to run raise the speed higher than what its actually required.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th February 2016 at 11:59.
Old 28th February 2016, 19:29   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Even if they switch to Manual mode, the AMT should drop a gear or two if it is really being lugged in view of vehicle health. Maybe it can deliver good torque even at low RPMs.
No. It isn't. I witnessed this in a Scania. The driver purposefully did this experiment on my request. In Manual mode, the gear did not downshift even when the speed dropped (along with RPM, of course). The vehicle jerked a lot at this point, since he applied brake to bring down the speed. He then manually downshifted to prevent damage to the clutch.
Old 17th March 2016, 13:09   #65
BHPian

Travelled in ADC BLR to TPT last month
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post3933651
Any idea what this strange covering beside the emergency exit which was bolted is about ?

Old 17th March 2016, 22:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnath View Post
Any idea what this strange covering beside the emergency exit which was bolted is about ?
Its not a storage. Its a raised portion so that the passengers sitting on the emergency exit rows can rest their leg on, and also helps them from slipping down the seat. The older B7Rs & B9Rs which had the full size emergency exit door at the middle, had a steel rod at the same place for people to rest their leg on to & also act as a handle to remove the floor.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 23:12   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Its not a storage. Its a raised portion so that the passengers sitting on the emergency exit rows can rest their leg on, and also helps them from slipping down the seat. The older B7Rs & B9Rs which had the full size emergency exit door at the middle, had a steel rod at the same place for people to rest their leg on to & also act as a handle to remove the floor.
Thanks Binai. I remember the old Airavat B7R MK4 which had the emergency exit before seats 25/26. I always used to book these seats for the extra leg room. But those buses had the steel bar as a lever to pull and open the floor covering so that they can be led to the steps and open the emergency door.

Pic from Volvo B12b Sunsundegui Sideral coach of Dubai RTA
KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service-20130221-18.29.05.jpg
I havent seen this type covering on Golden Pearl 2+1 Scania 14.5m, which raised this doubt.

Most Viewed