Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 11:32   #1
BHPian

Maruti Dzire Tour is now the taxi king of Kolkata

Now that Ambassadors are being phased out, Maruti Dzire has emerged as the prime taxi brand in Kolkata. Looks like in a few years from now, Kolkata will be a Dzire city, like it was an Ambassador city for so long.

Here is the report from today's The Telegraph.

http://epaper.telegraphindia.com/det...97-154562.html
subratasenn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 07:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

The last bastion of the Ambassador has fallen. Looks like the Ambassador is now only going to live as long as automobile collectors are interested in it.

The D'zire is a worthy replacement, it's a proven car and has the qualities to make a good cab, however I personally feel the Logan would have been the ideal successor to the Ambassador
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 17:22   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Dzire Tour is now the taxi king of Kolkata

As expected. However, I did find some interesting stats in the article.

The Dzire Tour sold about ~500 a month through May & June in Kolkata alone. It moves about 3,500 / month nationally . That's more than so many newer sub-10 lakh sedans. The number has grown in recent years and there's a waiting list!
Old 17th July 2015, 12:51   #4
BHPian

Interesting thread Subrata !!

The Yellow Ambassadors has been the pride of Kolkata since long now, adding a lot of colour to the streets as well. Taxi Operators still say that the Ambassador is a "Raja Gadi" due to it's extremely low cost of maintenance (considering the cost of spares) and that they can be repaired anywhere and everywhere.

However, the Dzires have already grown in number in the City of Joy. Though, it will take a lot of time for them to outnumber the Amby's that have been sold (in 2012-2013) in Kolkata as Yellow Taxis. The fact is that both the Dzire and the Ambassador having the same fare, commuters are definitely opting to use the comfort of the Dzire.

However it will be interesting to see how well the Dzire copes up with the mentality of the Taxi Operators in the long run who previously have been accustomed to use reconditioned spare parts in case of the Ambassadors; considering the cost of spares of the Dzire is way higher than that of the Ambassador. We might see the Automobile Spare Parts manufacturers coming in with cheaper replacement parts to cater to the needs of the Dzire Taxis in the times to come and we will see a flood of reconditioned Dzire Tour spares available in Mullick Bazaar as well.

HM being shut, the Dzire is the only best, tested, practical and a reliable option that the Taxi Operators in Kolkata have at the moment.

The positives with the Dzire coming in :
  1. The transport scenario of the city will 'look' more updated
  2. The passengers/ commuters shall get superior comfort with or without AC
  3. Low cost of maintenance in comparison to the other options available to the Taxi Operators now
  4. You will not fear the Ambassador Taxis pulling off your rear bumper or ramming you from behind due to poor braking system - they are more cautious and worried now as their cost of accidental repairs with the Dzire has gone up
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 13:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post

The positives with the Dzire coming in :
  1. The transport scenario of the city will 'look' more updated
  2. The passengers/ commuters shall get superior comfort with or without AC
  3. Low cost of maintenance in comparison to the other options available to the Taxi Operators now
  4. You will not fear the Ambassador Taxis pulling off your rear bumper or ramming you from behind due to poor braking system - they are more cautious and worried now as their cost of accidental repairs with the Dzire has gone up

Tour will not be an easy on pocket maintenance car, the Logan and Etios are better cost savers when it comes to servicing. The Engine requires a lot of consumables unlike Logan/Etios.

Space Wise Logan is the King followed by Etios. This will be an interesting space to watch.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 13:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

The article quotes a driver who claims to have changed engine oil just once in 133000 kms Definitely must be some exaggeration there.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 14:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Tour will not be an easy on pocket maintenance car, the Logan and Etios are better cost savers when it comes to servicing. The Engine requires a lot of consumables unlike Logan/Etios.

Space Wise Logan is the King followed by Etios. This will be an interesting space to watch.
to your point totally.

But since the Logan had a really negligible market share in Kolkata and that the Etios was never a part of the Taxi Segment (apart from in a scattered way with select private taxi operators) in Kolkata, it is difficult to make the cult understand the facts of the maintenance costs of these vehicles and the benefits of operating with such amazing cars.
Old 17th July 2015, 17:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Not related to sales, but certain lines mentioned in the article are

Quote:
I have a Dzire that has run 133000 KM''s and I have changed the engine oil just once and brake pads on another occasion
Quote:
Some would argue that thick gauge of metal used in Ambassador made if safer vehicle to be in.
Old 17th July 2015, 17:50   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As expected. However, I did find some interesting stats in the article.
Did you miss the part where a taxi operator says that he has replaced the engine oil twice in 133000km.
Old 17th July 2015, 19:38   #10
BHPian

The Stats may be exaggerated, however IMO not very off the mark. I have personally seen an Indigo operating for last 8 months without an oil change. every week the engine is just topped up with some oil and the car keeps on running. Given that a taxi/cab runs for around 250 kms a day on an average, the KM reading may not be very off the mark.

Though a new educated breed is in place who maintain the cars well, the former breed has not been wiped out, and still are a major part of the operators.
Old 17th July 2015, 20:41   #11
BHPian

The 'victory' of the Swift Tour over the Ambassador may be a loss of a well recognised Kolkata icon but I can't help feeling it is a step in the right direction (whether intentional or not). Those ambassadors were unsafe not only to passengers but their drivers would use the size and weight of the car to intimidate other vehicles on the road and drive poorly. Forcing their way into lanes, braking lazily and tailgating -- I am sure they will have to rethink their driving styles with the Swift. I, for one, have already noticed the more sedate manner of driving prevalent in the Swift taxis.
Old 17th July 2015, 21:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On what basis do you say that the Tour engine requires a lot of consumables unlike Logan & Etios? I think that's factually incorrect, but would love to be proved wrong.

Awaiting your reply.
Old 18th July 2015, 00:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I think that's factually incorrect, but would love to be proved wrong.

Awaiting your reply.
Suggest you to read the maintenance schedules of all the three engines for your awareness. That should help you understand better.
Old 18th July 2015, 06:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Suggest you to read the maintenance schedules of all the three engines for your awareness. That should help you understand better.
Please quote the figures to bring clarity into your blanket statements. AFAIK, the maintenance costs, according to the many drivers that I've interacted with, is not a deal breaker when choosing among the Dzire or Logan or Etios. It is to be noted that the maintenance costs and time gap (not number of km run) between services is different from how it is with a private vehicle that clocks far less kilometres than a taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
The 'victory' of the Swift Tour over the Ambassador may be a loss of a well recognised Kolkata icon but I can't help feeling it is a step in the right direction (whether intentional or not). Those ambassadors were unsafe not only to passengers but their drivers would use the size and weight of the car to intimidate other vehicles on the road and drive poorly. Forcing their way into lanes, braking lazily and tailgating -- I am sure they will have to rethink their driving styles with the Swift.
Exactly! Intimidating the other drivers with the weight and rigid (no crumple zones) build is something done by most Amby taxi drivers. They know that their juggernaut will feel nothing if it brushes against some lesser beings, read the other modern cars. Try it with a Dzire? Yea, you'll end up with a crumpled bonnet or a broken bumper, going to the extent of making it visit the workshop. Mellowing down is the only way to survive.

However, the pax would really miss the plush rear seat of the Amby
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 08:15   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The last bastion of the Ambassador has fallen. Looks like the Ambassador...... however I personally feel the Logan would have been the ideal successor to the Ambassador
I tend to agree - if only for the fact that by all reports the Logan has a better ride and certainly more interior space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
The article quotes a driver who claims to have changed engine oil just once in 133000 kms Definitely must be some exaggeration there.
A private owner doing this is certainly an extraordinary case - but for cabbies fed on a steady diet of Ambassadors, this would not be too far off the mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
The 'victory' of the Swift Tour over the Ambassador may be a loss of a well recognised Kolkata icon but I can't help feeling it is a step in the right direction (whether intentional or not). Those ambassadors were unsafe not only to passengers but their drivers would use the size and weight of the car to intimidate other vehicles on the road and drive poorly. Forcing their way into lanes, braking lazily and tailgating -- I am sure they will have to rethink their driving styles with the Swift. I, for one, have already noticed the more sedate manner of driving prevalent in the Swift taxis.
Add to it the bone jarring ride of the Ambassador and its tendency (at least some of the examples I had the misfortune to ride in) to start off with a shuddering, jerking motion reminiscent of shot shockers and suspension bushes.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks