Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi government to scrap BRT corridor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Nope.
People actually suffered in the BRT. The wrong place, it came up at.
I cannot justify 15-20 minutes waiting times. This was when the cops were around.
What was the waiting time on this stretch before BRT came? This waiting time reduced substantially for bus commuters after its implementation.

Quote:
Post that was the Uniformed private guards period. 25-30 minutes ,then. People were still not venturing into the bus lane, because the cops at the end of the corridor were a deterrent. This needed policing, but more than that it needed educated analysts who should have understood that the volume of traffic on this stretch couldn't be accommodated from 4 lanes to two, without causing headaches.
25-30 minutes is the time I take from Lado Sarai to Okhla Phase III when I come via BRT. It is 8-10 minutes more if I come via Adhchini.

Quote:
The BRT is a luxury which should be undertaken by a city which has an alternative to private transport.

Delhi public transport, closer to the bottom than the top(metro not included)
Las mile connectivity, and comfort. Do that, rather than implementing unplanned concepts.
It is not a luxury. It is a boon for bus commuters (40-60 persons travel in a DTC during peak hours). I agree that the Government should have focused on improving the last mile connectivity and public transport system. Instead they focused only on defending the current BRT without actually making it efficient.

The headache is caused by errant car and auto drivers who have absolutely no regards for traffic rules.

Yes, Delhi transport is at bottom but this was first step towards improving the same. The pace of improvement is very slow but it is improving. This government is planning to get 10000 new buses which should have been done 8-10 years ago. All the car manufacturers will not want to lose their biggest profit center and thus the lobbying.

BRT in isolation can not give the desired result nor can it get the results instantly. If people are made to behave properly and follow rules in Delhi Metro, why couldn't the government do it here. I guess a Delhi Bus Rapid Transit Corporation kind of organisation with government's support could have made it possible.

But now it is of no use, the BRT is going.

Most Viewed