Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2015, 13:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

OK Play launches E-Raaja E-Rickshaw at Rs. 1.15 lakh

OK Play, a manufacturer of high density plastics for the automotive industry has launched the E-Raaja E-Rickshaw at a price of Rs. 1.15-1.25 lakh (inclusive of taxes, Delhi). The vehicle is designed to carry 4 passengers in addition to the driver and is being marketed as a pollution-free, last-mile connectivity solution.

OK Play launches E-Raaja E-Rickshaw at Rs. 1.15 lakh-er.jpg

The company claims that the E-Raaja is 100% indigenously designed, developed and manufactured. 90% of the components used in it are made in India. It has an ICAT-certified zero-emission plastic body and is said to have multiple advantages over conventional metal body E-Rickshaws. It is lighter in weight, maintenance-free and can be moulded in a wide range of light, fast and permanent colours.

OK Play says the E-Raaja is ergonomically designed with smooth, rounded edges, wide and sturdy bases and gets easy to grip handles, which are durable, weather-proof, easy to install and will be available in a wide range of colours. No nails and wood have been used in its construction.

The company plans to produce 3,00,000 E-Rickshaws from its two manufacturing units - one in Sohna (Haryana), which will to cater to the North Indian market, and the second one in Ranipet (Tamil Nadu), which will cater to the South Indian market.

According to OK Play, there are over 10 million cycle rickshaws and 7.5 million autorickshaws in the country, which could potentially be replaced by E-Rickshaws over a period of time.

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2015 at 10:24. Reason: Typo!
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 14:28   #2
BHPian

Re: OK Play launches E-Raaja E-Rickshaw at Rs. 1.15 lakh

These "things" are going to be on the road?? Looks like "safety" was not in the top of their list. From the pic above, it looks like one of the very few things that make the existing auto ricks look safe
fash_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 14:36   #3
BHPian

Damn. I thought OK Play only makes toys!

What about the range per charge and the time taken for full charge? If the range is decent, could be a good "shared auto" for last mile connectivity.

As for safety, considering these are meant for last mile connectivity, and speeds would be fairly low, safety may not be at the top of the list. They are as safe as an auto rikshaw is today, or safer than a two wheeler. I am not suggesting safety is not required, but just putting things in the current context, atleast till autos with ABS/irbags/curtain bags/ESP etc become common.
Bh.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 14:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

They have high aims but this just looks jugaad to me, totally unsafe. The current rickshaws are at least made of metal all around and give that little bit of assurance. This thing is made of plastics, with a flimsy roof and the rain curtains just seem to be after thought.

The driver, irrespective of the curtains, is left completely exposed to the weather and has "zero" protection.

The Handle appears a straight lift from the Speldor. How effective can those rear view handle mounted mirrors be? Crazy Jugaad.

Add to all that, the picture appears photoshopped (check the rain curtains). If it looks like this in a photoshopped image, how would this look in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Damn. I thought OK Play only makes toys!

atleast till autos with ABS/irbags/curtain bags/ESP etc become common.
I do not see that happening for the next 2 decades. Our Taxis do not have this compulsion, the rickshaws are a long way.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 24th December 2015 at 14:47.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 15:01   #5
BHPian

Forget safety, it's plastic, so body panels can only be changed, not tinkered & mended.

Thus, breakages will cause plastic waste, which totally defeats the cause of doing something environment friendly!

Maybe they're trying to monopolize the ability to repair. Over a period, as moulds get old, when they stop making these body panels, this'll look like junk on the roads.

IMHO it shouldn't strictly be metal only.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 24th December 2015 at 15:02.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 15:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post

Maybe they're trying to monopolize the ability to repair. Over a period, as moulds get old, when they stop making these body panels, this'll look like junk on the roads.
Long before that the batteries will die out and the replacement cost will turn them to junk somewhere in the city.
There would be a very few rickshaw drivers to diligently save for this cost. Rest all will just junk it off and go back to renting normal rickshaws on daily rent.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 16:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

OMG!! what a contraption to be called an "E-Rickshaw". It looks like someone has used MS Paint and used geometrical shapes to achieve this.

I am all for E-Rickshaws for last mile connectivity but one thing that beats me in this design is where will be rickshaw driver place his feet? I see no foot pegs or floor board for the driver Or is that the driver will sit in yoga position to drive the rickshaw?
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 16:43   #8
BHPian

This ET link has better pictures from different angles.

The driver should be having adequate foot space. However those hanging support handles from the roof seems to be in wrong place. They should have been in the middle, exactly above the entry point.

I think these may not be replaceable for the existing autos but definitely it will be able to help the cycle rickshaw guy to upgrade. In my place Guwahati, there are thousands of cycle rickshaws which runs on inner roads where there are no bus services and traffic consists only of private vehicles mostly two wheelers and cars.

They can target this market very well. If govt encourages it with a subsidy combined with liberal help in financing by the banks, I think these E-rickshaw has a good potential.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 21:07   #9
BHPian

I hope that these have a better ride than the Chinese ones. Took a ride once for fun and oh my, what a bumpy thing it was! Its like a pedal rikshaw with an electric motor.

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2015 at 10:27. Reason: Typo
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 22:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
..indigenously designed, ...
Simply put, that's plain insult to both those words which actually hold very worthy meanings. When the world leaps forward, we get these & there would be quite an bunch of people who actually go & buy these things. The way it's these days with general design, if it's Indian then it doesn't deserve to look good. There are mops that look much better. E-ricks are the way to go but this, not so much.

I'd rather walk, or maybe run.
SandyX is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 10:43   #11
BHPian

Earlier this year two-wheeler maker Hero Electric launched an electric rickshaw 'Raahii' priced at Rs 1.10 lakh (on road, Delhi) to tap the growing demand for e-rickshaws.
http://www.motoroids.com/news/hero-e...-named-raahii/

Last edited by virgopal : 25th December 2015 at 10:53.
Old 27th December 2015, 18:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

These are the ideal and best solution for the real last mile connectivity. Here it means a trip distance of not more than 3 to 4 kms. These are intended to replace the hand pull rickshaws and bring a better and attractive way of earning for poor people and also the people who cant afford Taxi's and Auto. I have used them quite very well in and around Palika bazar and they charge very less and are quite convenient to use.
I am not sure how many of us are going to use this and that doesn't mean that they are weird and are not fit for road.
Remember many grown up driving Omni and 800 and these are nothing different compared to them in the way of safety or affordability or the contraption or what ever we name to degrade.
My 2 cents.

Most Viewed