Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2015, 14:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport: Mobile ticketing & free WiFi in Buses (courtesy Ridlr)

Volvo services of NMMT (Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport) are getting free WiFi on board, powered by Ridlr (a public transport app). Ridlr has also started cashless, mobile ticketing for NMMT in its app. Since their app is available only for Android as of now, I could not try mobile ticketing. However, from what I could gather, one has to enter the conductor's ID in the app along with route number to buy ticket. Payment is through a wallet. I am eagerly waiting for the app to be released for iOS so that I can try it out!

I tried using the on board WiFi today. You have to give a missed call to their number, after which the password is sent through SMS. The system worked flawlessly for me throughout the 40-45 minute journey. The speed was sufficient for normal browsing/chatting. A big for Ridlr & NMMT for this new initiative!

However, the key factor is how the system is maintained. Such initiatives usually fizzle out in a few months. I hope this turns out to be different than rest. The start has been good, now they should concentrate on sustaining the service over a period of time! A couple of posters inside the bus:

Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport: Mobile ticketing & free WiFi in Buses (courtesy Ridlr)-img_0589.jpg
Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport: Mobile ticketing & free WiFi in Buses (courtesy Ridlr)-img_0590.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not connected to Ridlr in any way.
AkMar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 13:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport: Mobile ticketing & free WiFi in Buses (courtesy Ridlr)

Related news article: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50299262.cms
Quote:
Commuters will now be able to book NMMT bus tickets by using one `Ridlr' mobile app. The process is as simple as selecting the destination and paying through the mobile wallet for an e-ticket. This ticket is then to be shown to the conductor for validation. Currently, being piloted on selected routes from December 28 onwards, eventually the solution shall be rolled out across all NMMT routes.

Speaking on the occasion, Shirish Aradwad, Transport Manager, who has been spearheading strategic technological innovations at NMMT started, "This move is in line with the Corporation's commitment to offer a better commuting experience to the residents of Navi Mumbai."

"We saw people facing multiple issues during their daily commute such as waiting in long queues, spending a lot of time at booking counters and struggling with change to pay for tickets. This is when we thought of deploying technology that equips people to book tickets through their smartphones. Presently, Ridlr offers ticketing solution for NMMT and also Mumbai Metro and very soon we are going to be available on BEST and other transportation bodies. We want to make it a one stop app for all public transportation needs," said Brijraj Vaghani, CEO at Ridlr.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 11:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport: Mobile ticketing & free WiFi in Buses (courtesy Ridlr)

This too has taken the well known path of all such initiatives. The wi fi service is stopped now. Stickers announcing the Wi Fi have been scratched out. Need to check whether the ticketing is still being offered or has fizzled out like Wi Fi.
Old 27th January 2016, 14:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
from what I could gather, one has to enter the conductor's ID in the app along with route number to buy ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
The process is as simple as selecting the destination and paying through the mobile wallet for an e-ticket. This ticket is then to be shown to the conductor for validation.
Sounds more like a hassle to me. Why have a conductor at all? Get in, swipe, move on! I really don't see any effort required more than that.

Most Viewed