Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ashok Leyland Captain 40iT truck launched

Ashok Leyland has launched the new Captain 40iT from its Captain series of trucks. The Captain 40iT has been put through more than 2.3 million kilometres of on-road testing along with internal testing on paved tracks and 6 posters.

The Captain 40iT is powered by a turbocharged diesel engine that produces 180 horsepower and a peak torque of 660 Nm. The truck gets a roof hatch, a leg vent, lockers that can be opened from the outside to access items required when the truck is parked, a sleeper berth, a mobile charging point and a music player with a USB port, among other features.

Ashok Leyland will manufacture the Captain 40iT at its facility in Pantnagar, Uttarakhand.

Ashok Leyland Captain 40iT truck launched-2.jpg
Tushar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:03   #2
BANNED

Re: Ashok Leyland Captain 40iT truck launched

just a question, why has AL taken up the fully manufactured cab model now ? Before you got a cowl and the rest had to be built by the owner . The West and East (Japan) have had this for a long time, but it has caught on in india only in the last few years why ?
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Ashok Leyland has launched the new Captain 40iT from its Captain series of trucks...
After reading this post, my reaction was:

Come on! We're talking about a truck, not a passenger car where we look for dead pedals and vanity mirrors. These would be of more interest than mentioning about the leg vent and roof hatch:
Engine spec - number of cylinders, capacity (my guess is it's the H-series i6 5.7L EDC BS3)
Tonnage - I assume it's a 40T tractor
Gear box options available - 6-speed, 9-speed
Application - Tractor, Puller, Tipper?
Suspension setup - bogie suspension at the rear? anti-roll bar?
Cab setup- suspended, tiltable, airconditioned, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
just a question, why has AL taken up the fully manufactured cab model now ? Before you got a cowl and the rest had to be built by the owner .
AL has been manufacturing the U-trucks for a long time, and you can find many of them on the roads, the recent addition to the portfolio being the U-3718il.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
The West and East (Japan) have had this for a long time, but it has caught on in india only in the last few years why ?
When the laws are made stricter to enforce safety features, the market will demand factory-fitted cabs instead of locally fabricated ones. I guess there must be a move to implement such rules here

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd February 2016 at 13:24. Reason: Fixing quotes.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 12:43   #4
BHPian

I feel the wipers are atleast couple of sizes small. They might not cover the entire breadth of the windshield and can safety issue during rains. Hope ARAI takes a note of this as well while certifying vehicles, not that it would matter as most operators would change to regulation size later like they do with Mirrors

Most Viewed