Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2016, 20:34   #31
BHPian

Re: Private Jet fleet of Reliance Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
To add, VT isn't a call sign or part of an Indian call sign necessarily.
This has to do with the ITU convention of call sign prefixes to the countries.
http://www.itu.int/online/mms/glad/c...ign.sh?lang=en
The 'N' as well as 'W' (for Amateur radio stations)is assigned to USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashokkp View Post
hi

Just a quick note. VT in the callsign of India registered Aircraft mean VICEROY's TERRITORY- Hangover of the colonial days.
You are right, in fact all the call signs starting from V (in the link above) were part British colonies. This was done in the early 20th century, which explains why Pakistan is assigned 6Pxx, because the separation happened after the assignments.
Old 6th April 2016, 20:38   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
This has to do with the ITU convention of call sign prefixes to the countries.

http://www.itu.int/online/mms/glad/c...ign.sh?lang=en

The 'N' as well as 'W' (for Amateur radio stations)is assigned to USA

Sorry, but referring to ITU when discussing aviation call sign isn’t going to explain much at all. Call signs in aviation are derived from various sources and depend on various rules, regulations etc as I tried to explain earlier.

Just to iterate the country prefix, eg VT, N, PH, is not used in commercial aviation as a call sign. Commercial aviation uses call sign based on carrier and flight number.

Some more detail how it works, amongst others in aviation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_sign

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 6th April 2016 at 20:59.
Old 6th April 2016, 21:18   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

A little bit of topic, but just to add on to the discussion on call sign.

Here an interesting youtube of a small Cessna landing at Chicago, O’Hara Airport.

Notice how the pilot and ATC use the callsign in the various variants as I mentioned earlier. They leave out N (country code) and as you will see/hear ATC shortens it even more. Also, note the use of ‘heavy'.

So to my point, even in non commercial aviation the country specific part of the call sign is rarely used, if at all.

The second video shows how call signs are used in commercial aviation. Note, no country codes, only carrier designation and flight numbers. You will also hear a British Airway pilot, Speedbird Heavy!

The ATC on this video is a guy known as Kennedy Steve. Bit of a celebrity for those of us that listen in on ATC. Very clear, very precise, sarcastic and humorous! On this video he is handling ground traffic. So he directs planes to and from the ramp to/from the gate.

Enjoy!

As part of my pilot training I used to listen to these video’s endlessly.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 6th April 2016 at 21:19.
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 21:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Majority of the Fortune 500 CEOs I believe have their own planes. Berkshire Hathaway has planes and vehicles to ferry their famous founder around, while media portrays him as simple and one who bought a second hand as his daily driver. Yes Warren buffets daily drive is a used truck.

Maddy
Pretty sure Berkshire Hathaway did own a plane once but it was nothing fancy nor IIRC was it brand new. Buffet uses NetJets which is a Berkshire Hathaway company. Its one of those time share companies running fleets of private jets. He tried their services once, was so impressed bought NetJets the company and sold the Berkshire Hathaway plane. He doesn't drive a used truck. Has always owned cars like the Lincoln Town Car and Cadillac Deville/DTS.
Old 7th April 2016, 09:58   #35
BHPian

Thanks Jeroen, that video on Kennedy Steve was fantastic.

Swami
Old 7th April 2016, 11:42   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Thanks Jeroen, that video on Kennedy Steve was fantastic.

Swami

My pleasure. Search for Kennedy Steve on YouTube and you will dozens more. Some of them are hilarious but he is also a great controller.

Jeroen
Old 11th April 2016, 12:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
To add, VT isn't a call sign or part of an Indian call sign necessarily. I m basing my understanding of call sign primarily on how it is in Europe and USA, but I assume it is near identical for India.

The VT is part of an Indian registration code(not part of callisignneral rule private airplanes will use it as part of their call sign. Commercial planes typically have a company specific call sign with a route (flight number) specific part to it. So they don't use VT in their call sign.
Mea Culpa. VT is part of the registration code(not part of the call sign). Likewise US registration is "N".

Airlines use a distinctive CALLSIGN that is normally spoken during Radio transmission, as a prefix to the flight#. For Eg, IFLY for Indigo and ARIYA for Air Asia.

As a rule, the Pilot's needs to hold flying licenses of the country of registration of the A/c; there are exemption to the rule though.

Cheers
Old 11th April 2016, 13:01   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As a rule, the Pilot's needs to hold flying licenses of the country of registration of the A/c; there are exemption to the rule though.
Cheers
No need to apologizen. It's all about live and learn on this forum. Just remembered, the more you are wrong, the more you are learning!

So here some of my learning questions then:
Do you think in Europe every pilot has a 'national' license which can not be used to fly planes from other EU nations? How would that work for Star-alliances with planes registered in multi countries?

How come I can use my USA FAA license to fly my Dutch registered planes?

My take, and I am far, from an expert here, is there are very few exceptions, just a whole bunch or rules that more or less apply to just about any situation. Aviation doesn't like exceptions. They will introduce more and more rules and regulations to have as few exceptions as a rule.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 11th April 2016 at 13:30.
Old 11th April 2016, 13:55   #39
BHPian

Hello

The Indian DGCA requires a Pilot to hold either an Indian licence or obtain a "FATA" (Foreign Aircrew Temp. Autho) to fly India registered A/c.

The FAA also mandates(FAR 61.3) the same. Either hold a FAA ticket or obtain a temporary certificate.

Maybe there is an arrangement between Netherlands CAA and FAA?

Regards
Old 11th April 2016, 14:49   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello

The Indian DGCA requires a Pilot to hold either an Indian licence or obtain a "FATA" (Foreign Aircrew Temp. Autho) to fly India registered A/c.

The FAA also mandates(FAR 61.3) the same. Either hold a FAA ticket or obtain a temporary certificate.

Maybe there is an arrangement between Netherlands CAA and FAA?

Regards
The CAA is actually the British Civil Aviation Authority and I don't think it exists as such any more. In essence, the various national aviation authorities of Europe have merged into (European Aviation Safety Agency) EASA.

So they issue pilots license within Europe and their respective nations airplanes fall under the same EASA regime as well.

So I think, I'm not sure there is no further distinction on a national level. I.e. What the FAA is for all the USA, EASA is for all of Europe. So once you have an EASA license you can fly an EASA plane (more or less).

As a general rule planes and pilots regulated under one system, need to be converted into the other system. Say you have your FAA license and are going to work for an European carrier, your FAA license needs to be converted to an EASA license.

It used to be real easy, more or less an administrative thing. These days it is becoming more complex.

At least in General Aviation (i.e. my type of aviation) you would have to take a quick check ride with an approved FAA/EASA examiner. I seem to recall, but has been a while, you would get a sort of endorsement which would allow you to fly for a specific period in a specific plane and or category.

By and large, if I go by what I'm reading in aviation magazines, it is becoming increasingly more complex (and thus expensive) to convert from one system to the other. In some cases it would require you to essentially start from scratch.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 12:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
As an employee of RIL for the last few years, I've flown on company planes a few times, mostly to Jamnagar and once to Rajahmundry. It's always a great kick!
One question about check-in and security. Did you have to go through passenger terminal + security or is there a different channel that took you to plane ?
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 12:30   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
One question about check-in and security. Did you have to go through passenger terminal + security or is there a different channel that took you to plane ?
We used to use the corporate aviation terminal at Kalina a few years ago, but nowadays it is through Terminal 1B at the domestic airport (same process as the general public).
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 20:47   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
We used to use the corporate aviation terminal at Kalina a few years ago, but nowadays it is through Terminal 1B at the domestic airport (same process as the general public).

Are they really that intensely used ? You can spot the A319 ACJ VT-IAH all across the world. From Japan to USA, London, even Israel and Africa.

BTW any idea what PMS Prasad (Mukesh's chief executive) flies on ?

What's the standard operating procedure after the chief executives get off the plane in a foreign country. Do they just rent a taxi or an executive class car and go to a certain destination or is there some arrangement with the local counterparty who provides a car ?

I know for a fact that RIL has sent its men to Venezuela and Mexico.
Old 18th April 2023, 17:43   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mukesh Ambani: Reliance becomes net debt-free; value soars past 11 lakh crore

Mukesh Ambani gets a new Boeing 737 MAX Business Jet. It's registered as T7-LOTUS but I guess it will be re-registered with a VT registration.

Reliance

Private Jet fleet of Reliance Industries-h3z60on1e1681761295269.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 00:55   #45

Two new Global 7500's added in 2023.

VT-ASR & VT-PRI
Attached Thumbnails
Private Jet fleet of Reliance Industries-img_4727.jpg  

Private Jet fleet of Reliance Industries-img_4726.jpg  

Jitu669 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed