Team-BHP - Goa: Amphibious bus for tourists coming up
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Goa: Amphibious bus for tourists coming up (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/174690-goa-amphibious-bus-tourists-coming-up.html)

Goa tourism is set to launch its amphibious bus service as it has now got all the required permissions, including the crucial permission from the transport department. The news about this first came out in May 2015 and the Amphibious buses have been ready for the last 6 months. The launch was stuck due to the pending permission issues which have been resolved now.

Addressing media-persons, Goa tourism development corporation, chairperson, Nilesh Cabral, along with tourism minister Dilip Parulekar, on Friday, said they have got a nod from the transport department to start the service. This will be a first of a kind service in the country. When the service was first set for launch in September 2015, two routes were identified for the service. The first, called the Hinterland Route, was to showcase the mangroves and a bird sanctuary. The places covered was to include Panjim to Ribandar, around the Chorao Island and Dr Salim Ali bird sanctuary. The second was the Heritage Route, where churches and monuments was to be showcased. It will be from Panjim to Old Goa and back. It is unclear whether the same routes will be retained or if there will be some changes.

The Amphibious buses are built by Automobile Corporation of Goa Ltd (ACGL) in collaboration with a foreign company. Cabral said this initiative is in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi's mantra of 'Make in India'. Automobile Corporation of Goa Ltd (ACGL), is a Tata group company and has built these buses in technical collaboration with Amphibious Designs India Pvt Ltd (ADI), affiliated to the US-based Advanced Ambitious Design. A bus costs around 2 crore and has a life of 15-20 years. Such services are common in popular global river and lake cities. In general these buses can run at a maximum speed of 94 km per hour on roads, and at eight knots in water.

This particular amphibious bus (AGCL 'G Duck' Amphibious bus) is labeled marine compliant- which means it is targeted for road/river usage, but can be used in oceans as well.

The G-Duck was displayed at 'Busworld 2015' which was covered by Team-Bhp. Link to thread here. Some images and a video of the Amphibious bus below:

Goa: Amphibious bus for tourists coming up-amphibus1.jpg

Goa: Amphibious bus for tourists coming up-amphibus2.jpg

Goa: Amphibious bus for tourists coming up-amphibus3.jpg

Goa: Amphibious bus for tourists coming up-amphibus4.jpg

Goa: Amphibious bus for tourists coming up-amphibus5.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ4TcUh6yN0

A representative more relevant video. A better looking bus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvTlvjnGLI

Source: Online Reports

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3944538)
Goa tourism is set to launch its amphibious bus service as it has now got all the required permissions, including the crucial permission from the transport department

That's a great move by the tourism ministry.
The novelty factor will attract lot of tourists and locals.
How much would each bus cost and is it fully built by TATA?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3944538)
The first, called the Hinterland Route, was to showcase the mangroves and a bird sanctuary. The places covered was to include Panjim to Ribandar, around the Chorao Island and Dr Salim Ali bird sanctuary. The second was the Heritage Route, where churches and monuments was to be showcased. It will be from Panjim to Old Goa and back. It is unclear whether the same routes will be retained or if there will be some changes.

Superb :thumbs up!

These amphibious buses provide a phenomenal experience - it's so unique that tourists just won't say no :D. The seating & open design are perfect for sightseeing. I've used the Boston Duck Tour to check out the city.

Goa: Amphibious bus for tourists coming up-bdt_003.jpg

Goa: Amphibious bus for tourists coming up-bdt_023.jpg

Quote:

Automobile Corporation of Goa Ltd (ACGL), is a Tata group company and has built these buses in technical collaboration with Amphibious Designs India Pvt Ltd (ADI), affiliated to the US-based Advanced Ambitious Design. A bus costs around 2 crore and has a life of 15-20 years.
On seeing the pictures, I had safety concerns, but after reading that Tata is part of it, they will follow best practices.

However, Goa Tourism must ensure no corners are cut in terms of maintenance. The bus' upkeep will be critical to its safety, especially in the water. This is the only part that makes me uncomfortable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3945238)
On seeing the pictures, I had safety concerns, but after reading that Tata is part of it, they will follow best practices.

However, Goa Tourism must ensure no corners are cut in terms of maintenance. The bus' upkeep will be critical to its safety, especially in the water. This is the only part that makes me uncomfortable.

I ve used Duck Tours in several places. They're fun. London, Boston, Atlanta Stone Mountain and so on...

I would be always double concerned about safety in India.

We are way too lax about safety and security in general and I would not want to take a chance on my personal well being...

any news on the proposed routes?

every tourist would love it if they connect north goa beaches to south goa beaches through this amphibious bus service.

It's pretty good fun. They have been around for many years in other places in the world too.

Here's one in my home country the Netherlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Hx5RLf3mA

And the Dutch company who builds them:

http://www.amfibus.com/

Jeroen

This is not a fully built from Tata Motors. But ACGL uses Tata aggregates to make, with its partner from USA.

Thanks a lot for sharing! :thumbs up

On my recent trip to Goa, I saw this beast! It was being unloaded from a flatbed truck and there were quite some people surrounding it. I wish I had clicked pictures.

It's really good good to see an Indian state bringing an amphibious bus for tourists. I hope others follow Goa. We are not scheduling our next Goa trip until this begins operating. Any idea of when it will start operation? If it goes through the mentioned routes, there will be a lot of birders lined up. Trust me when I say this: Goa is heaven for ornithologists and bird photographers.

Would love to have a Team-BHP thread about the G-Duck.

Neel

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel (Post 3945957)
Thanks a lot for sharing! :thumbs up

On my recent trip to Goa, I saw this beast! It was being unloaded from a flatbed truck and there were quite some people surrounding it. I wish I had clicked pictures.

It's really good good to see an Indian state bringing an amphibious bus for tourists. I hope others follow Goa. We are not scheduling our next Goa trip until this begins operating. Any idea of when it will start operation? If it goes through the mentioned routes, there will be a lot of birders lined up. Trust me when I say this: Goa is heaven for ornithologists and bird photographers.

Would love to have a Team-BHP thread about the G-Duck.

Neel

I had once written a thread on the duck, DUKW!

Check it out!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ding-duck.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3945238)

+1 to that. The Boston Duck tour vehicles undergo stringent scrutiny every year to check their worthiness to travel in water. Hope the same is followed.