Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2016, 15:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Boeing 777 - Pilot's Review

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2016 at 15:26.
speedguy is online now   Received Infraction
Old 13th May 2016, 15:11   #17
BHPian

Brilliant article

Have travelled in this many times but never bothered to learn about it. I think the glamour around A380 is definitely hiding the practicality of this B777's.

If I am not wrong in India we can land A380 only in Delhi and not in other airports. This might also work in favour of B777.
RJ411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 15:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Wow, the time couldn't have been so perfect for a aeroplane review on team-bhp. My wife is travelling today and its going to be one Boeing 777.

I haven't had the opportunity to travel in a 777 so far, but I like Boeing's designs as they are less bulbous and sharp nosed compared to Airbus.

Haven't read the whole post since I'm in office, will do it when at home and wife not around
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 15:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Amazing article there, Loved every bit of it, Mighty impressed how technology has evolved with Aircrafts. Always wondered why are there hundred's of button's in the cockpit, Got to know what some of them do.

Thanks again for such an amazing post, I am going to read it all over again in the night peacefully.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 15:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ411 View Post
Brilliant article

Have travelled in this many times but never bothered to learn about it. I think the glamour around A380 is definitely hiding the practicality of this B777's.

If I am not wrong in India we can land A380 only in Delhi and not in other airports. This might also work in favour of B777.
SQ operates Mumbai Singapore service with an A380. also emurates is introducing an A380 on Mumbai-Dubai sector

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 13th May 2016, 15:46   #21
BHPian

Thank you for very informative post. Have traveled on all these aircrafts except for a 380. Hopefully it will happen soon as I am booked on one in August.
I have found the leg space in the 777 and the 340s to be very comfortable even on long flights. 340s are a tad better, in the seat pitch, I feel.
I find that the seats in the rearmost part f the aircraft are much noisier than those even slightly ahead. Can you explain why ? Is that the reason the the business and the first class are towards the front?
Old 13th May 2016, 15:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Brilliant article

No. Mumbai is set to recieve the first Dubai Mumbai flight by Emirates . I believe Bangalore may follow soon .
Old 13th May 2016, 16:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

First of all, wonderful thread. Rating a fully deserved 5 stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
No. Mumbai is set to recieve the first Dubai Mumbai flight by Emirates . I believe Bangalore may follow soon .
Mumbai already has A380 by Emirates & Singapore airlines since some time. Abu Dhabi based Etihad started A380 ops a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by AkMar : 13th May 2016 at 16:41.
Old 13th May 2016, 16:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Before I say anything searchingheaven thank you for starting this thread. There are many of us who are aviation enthusiasts but for some stupid reason its hard to be a plane lover in India. No special viewing areas near airports and because of the stringent rules or understanding by authorities the culture will not flourish and mostly people enjoy it alone.

I've been a Boeing lover for a while, I have loads of their merchandise as-well. And always am happier to travel in Boeing v/s Airbuses. Because of my love for airplanes I believe I have more knowledge on aircraft than regular people and have had lovely interactions with Pilots. I always compliment smooth landings on the way out. Heck I have a stupid ritual too, when stepping onboard any aircraft I try and touch the airframe and acquaint myself. Even though I'm a mere passenger.

I have a bunch of silly questions for you which I would like to get a Pilot's perspective on.
  • Why are the cockpit systems proprietary and not standardised? Won't this help in the longer run?
  • Why use hydraulic systems? Won't electric w/ redunancy be easier?
  • Why are there so many switches for everything, wont it make sense to have fewer switches with modular capabilities?
  • As a product designer, I am aghast at the UI/UX of Aircraft systems. Why does everything have to be so horrid and non-intuative. I understand legibility is important but I'm sure there are many better ways to communicate information to pilots other than green on black etc.
  • Is Boeing's strategy with the dreamliner working? (For others Airbus launched A380 which carries a large amount of people to hubs who take flights from there to destination vs Boeing who has a mid size plane which takes people directly to destinations).
  • What do you love about Boeing planes vs Airbus?
  • Why are pilots against recording everything in the cockpit? Most of the unexplained crashes will only remain theories because of absence of this.
  • If I can access whatsapp over the north pole, why can't every plane in the world relay its information in real time to a central database?

Ok this is enough for now, don't want to swamp you.
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 17:08   #25
BHPian

Wonderful post! I've been in love with the 777 since I took my first journey on an Emirates 777-300ER (and flew on it 7 times!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
  • Why are the cockpit systems proprietary and not standardised? Won't this help in the longer run?
  • Why use hydraulic systems? Won't electric w/ redunancy be easier?
  • Why are there so many switches for everything, wont it make sense to have fewer switches with modular capabilities?
  • As a product designer, I am aghast at the UI/UX of Aircraft systems. Why does everything have to be so horrid and non-intuative. I understand legibility is important but I'm sure there are many better ways to communicate information to pilots other than green on black etc.
  • Is Boeing's strategy with the dreamliner working? (For others Airbus launched A380 which carries a large amount of people to hubs who take flights from there to destination vs Boeing who has a mid size plane which takes people directly to destinations).
  • What do you love about Boeing planes vs Airbus?
  • Why are pilots against recording everything in the cockpit? Most of the unexplained crashes will only remain theories because of absence of this.
  • If I can access whatsapp over the north pole, why can't every plane in the world relay its information in real time to a central database?

Ok this is enough for now, don't want to swamp you.
I'm not a pilot, but as an aviation enthusiasts, let me try to answer those:

1.I believe it has to do with the fly by wire philosophy of Airbus vs Boeing . Airbus trusts the computer , Boeing the pilot. This is a very short and vague description and I'll leave it to the experts to clarify the same.

2. Boeing 787 uses electrical and bleedless systems

3 and 4: Experts to reply !

5: Yes, the airline industry is moving away from the hub and spoke theory to the point to point to point theory where they want to get people to their final destination without stopover. Less fatigue for the flyers!

6. I asked a pilot the same. It depends on personal preferences

7. FAA has started a progam of allowing airlines to install videocamera in the cockpit. It was voluntary when I last heard about it. I don't know the current status.

8. They do relay critical information. In Airbus, it's known as ACARS. That's how Air France first knew that their Flight 447 (A330) was in trouble before it crashed!

Typing from mobile, so please excuse mistakes !

Quote:
Etihad recently started their A380 service to Mumbai I bet there are other airports in India capable of handling the A380.

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/about-us...vice-to-india/

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th May 2016 at 18:35. Reason: merged as requested
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 17:10   #26
BHPian

This is going to be one of the best threads on TBHP! Given my flair for airplanes, I'm sure of going to know a lot from this.

However, my personal favorite is the mammoth A380. Have flown SQ A380 to Melbourne a few times & love the upper deck economy seats. 2-3-2 config on such a spacious plane is damn convenient.
Old 13th May 2016, 17:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
The Autopilot has to control three parameters to fly the plane. Its speed(throttle), its bank angle & its pitch. The roll(bank angle) is controlled by LNAV or HDG/TRK Hold/Select or LOC mode. The pitch is controlled using VNAV, FLCH, V/S, HOLD, or APP mode.
In the event of a loss of ground speed, is there a way of over riding the above systems and still fly the plane manually without endangering the plane from stall.

Read that pitots were blocked in one A330 and the air france 447 inexperienced officers were unable to override and bring the air craft under control upon its auto pilot going into shutdown mode due to lack of ground speed,

If one has to avoid stall and fly manually what is the procedure, have you encountered pitot probe icing incidents in 777 how have the officers mitigated the problem and still flied without endangering the air craft/passengers?

Request to provide more insight on the make of the Attitude indicators if possible with screenshots of interior and how it works, is it full digital or a mix of both ?

Last edited by sriramr9 : 13th May 2016 at 17:29.
Old 13th May 2016, 19:29   #28
BHPian

Thanks for the posts. Very informative. The 3-4-3 seating in the economy class is one of the worst developments. I used to think the earlier 2-5-2 configuration was the worst, but the 3-4-3 is extremely uncomfortable. Thank heavens United switched to the 3-3-3 configuration. The 787s are much much better not only because of the 3-3-3 seating, but due to humidity control.

Quote:
  • GE90-115B
    <snip> The whole unit is wider than the fuselage of the 707, 727, 737 and 757 narrow bodied airliners.
I am not sure this is quite accurate but they are comparable though. It seems fuselage dimensions of all of the above single aisle aircraft are a few inches or so wider (~144in) than the GE90-115B (135in).
Old 13th May 2016, 19:54   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Fantastic content there, Thank you for sharing all this information with us

Quote:
[*]Landing gear

The 777 has two main landing gear and a single nose gear. The nose gear is a conventional steerable two–wheel unit. Each main gear has six wheels in tandem pairs. To improve turning radius, the aft axle of each main gear is steerable. Hydraulic power for retraction, extension, and steering is supplied by the center hydraulic system. An alternate extension system is also provided.
I had a question regarding landing gear i.e. What tyres / brands are used ? Is it the regular Michelin, Good Year etc ? Or some other companies manufacture it ?

Have you faced a puncture /loss of air anytime ? If Yes then can the tyre be re-used after a puncture or is scrapped for a new one ?

Also are these tubeless, with tube or run flat type ?

Whats the size ?

Also do the pilots have an option to upsize ?

Last edited by karan561 : 13th May 2016 at 19:59.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 19:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
SQ operates Mumbai Singapore service with an A380. also emurates is introducing an A380 on Mumbai-Dubai sector

Regards
Dieseltuned
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Etihad recently started their A380 service to Mumbai I bet there are other airports in India capable of handling the A380.

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/about-us...vice-to-india/
Thanks for updates. Good to know that we have the airports to handle those Jumbo's. I have traveled in one of those once, and have always liked it.

I live close to Heathrow here in London and I see a lot of them daily. Every time when I hear a flight would just pop the head up to see if its an A380.

The childhood curiosity never dies in certain aspects

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks