Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2016, 14:24   #1
BHPian

Small commercial vehicle to carry 100 kg of clothes & paper?

I am in the market to procure a commercial vehicle which can carry a small load, say max 100kgs, and costs the least per km. This includes fuel cost, tire cost and service charges. The type of cargo will be mostly clothes and papers. I am looking at E-rickshaws at this stage but the limited range and unknown charging time is concerning. Daily running at this time is unknown for the vehicles that is why I am only concerned with cost/km.

My main requirements are:
  • Small loading Bay
  • Loading bay may or may not be covered
  • LEAST running cost.
  • Should be able to register in metros as well as other cities.
  • Small. Must be able to get to congested and narrow lanes.
  • Max load capability of 100kg. Although it will almost always carry far less load.
What are my options here? This is totally unknown waters for me. I can also look at 100cc motorcycles with the rider given a large bag.
Old 17th May 2016, 16:32   #2
BHPian

re: Small commercial vehicle to carry 100 kg of clothes & paper?

Are you looking at 3-wheeler or 4-wheeler ?

The smallest and best 4-wheeler is Tata ACE Zip. The capacity is 600 kg. Is it too much for you ?

There are many 3-wheelers - all horribly underpowered and black smoke belching which are a nuisance on road for all.

2-wheelers are not road-legal for commercial good transportation.

E-Rickshaws are still very much in infancy.
Ravindra M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

You can consider Maruti Omni, Tata Ace or Mahindra Maxximo.
AL's DOST is too large for your usage.

The best thing about OMNI is that it's luggage bay is covered. Plus, you can use it as a taxi or personal use too.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 18:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

Two related threads, though both are from 2013:

Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 19:11   #5
BHPian

Given your requirements, maybe you can also take a look at the Eicher Multix as well to see if it suits your requirements. I am just a bit skeptical on its power front but rest it check all the boxes for your requirements
centaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 19:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

I was about to suggest Multix and planning for the same in 3 months from now.
I have the same requirements and may go with it. Though I am yet to work on performance.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2016 at 11:45. Reason: Typo
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 09:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
I can also look at 100cc motorcycles with the rider given a large bag.
An interesting requirement. The only thing that comes to my mind is the all time favourite 2 wheeler load king TVS XL Super with a carry box fitted instead of the back seat.

It might be the cheapest on road around Rs.32k and the most economical to run even if its a 2 stroke comparable to a 4 stroke bike whose initial cost would be at least double.

Had recommended However not sure if its street legal for commercial goods but if many entities use it to ferry food parcel etc then it must be valid to use it.

You can double check it with local RTO.
girishglg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 11:52   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

100 kg requirement might be on the lower side, but just the fact that it's clothes & paper means that the cargo size will be big. 100 kg of clothes is a lot of volume! It's not easily doable on a bike.

Agreed with the others on the Eicher Multix. Another similarly priced option is the Mahindra Jeeto - related thread.

GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 12:10   #9
BHPian

Re: Small commercial vehicle to carry 100 kg of clothes & paper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
100 kg requirement might be on the lower side, but just the fact that it's clothes & paper means that the cargo size will be big. 100 kg of clothes is a lot of volume! It's not easily doable on a bike.
Agreed 100kg of clothes and papers will be a lot. But most of the time the haul will be hardly 10-15 kgs, with occasional 100kg hauls. What I can plan is 1 or 2 motorcycles for small runs and a LCV for the big ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I was about to suggest Multix and planning for the same in 3 months from now.
I have the same requirements and may go with it. Though I am yet to work on performance.
I think there is some problem in registering the Multix as a commercial vehicle. I am yet to confirm it but Ive heard it from some sources that it can only be registered as a pvt vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
You can consider Maruti Omni, Tata Ace or Mahindra Maxximo.
AL's DOST is too large for your usage.

The best thing about OMNI is that it's luggage bay is covered. Plus, you can use it as a taxi or personal use too.
The Omni is a very good deal and is suited to my requirement well. If nothing else appears I will go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
2-wheelers are not road-legal for commercial good transportation.
If 2 wheelers are not road legal for good transportation then how come we have pizza delivery bikes? My usage will be very similar to those bikes.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 12:57   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Agreed 100kg of clothes and papers will be a lot. But most of the time the haul will be hardly 10-15 kgs, with occasional 100kg hauls. What I can plan is 1 or 2 motorcycles for small runs and a LCV for the big ones.
If that's the case, yes, a motorcycle with a cargo delivery box is perfect for you. Keep the LCV for big deliveries.

One supplier & another one

Small commercial vehicle to carry 100 kg of clothes & paper?-capture.jpg
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 20:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Buy a 2nd Hand TATA NANO basic variant, or maybe a CX variant. Nano has poor resale value, so I believe you should get a decent example costing below 70k.
Old 20th May 2016, 21:05   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Tata ACE
Piaggio APE

any number of these little chaps around.
Cute looking fellas too.
Old 21st May 2016, 08:46   #13
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Maruthi Omni, cheap to buy and run. Second hand ones are also easily available. (R 75,000 ~)
The suspension is quite solid and you can easily carry upto 500 + KGS. which will take care of your future requirements to some extent.

Fuel efficiency and refinement is also good and its comfortable to drive as well with easy handling.
You can also use the flat sides for your branding purposes. Its easier to do sticker work.

In city mileage is around 15 kmpl+ and service twice a year hardly comes to few thousands. For small businessmen its a great deal.

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 21st May 2016 at 08:51.
Old 21st May 2016, 08:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

No wonder the Omni still sells so much. Despite being so unsafe, it seems to be the perfect fit for such requirements. Isn't there any other vehicle in the Indian market that meets the OPs needs AND offers better safety features.
Old 15th February 2018, 16:26   #15
BHPian

A small update to this thread. Posting this now because it may help someone in the future who faces a similar predicament.

Ultimately I settled for an ageing Maruti Eeco Petrol which was already within our company and was laying idle.

The biggest selling point for the Eeco was that we already owned it
However, it is proving to be terribly costly. Planning for the whole operation had started in 2016, however the actual operation began in late 2017. After 6 months of work, we've come to realize that we are transporting around 50kgs of clothes daily and the vehicle is carrying two adults over 150kms daily. Coupled with the poor mileage and high petrol cost, we are paying about 15k per month in just fuel.

While the model needs to be changed somehow to decrease the travel distance per day. I am considering adding another vehicle and now am faced with the same question which I asked at the start of this thread.

This time however, I am not in totally unknown waters and know my requirements better. And this time I am considering a Mahindra Jeeto.

The reason choosing the Jeeto over the Omni cargo are:
  • Looks infinitely better and lends itself better to branding(surprisingly) compared to the omni. Since it is small truck it looks more serious and purpose built for delivery as compared to the Omni. This I feel improves the brand image, but it remains to be seen.
  • Factory CNG option available. Running costs are peanuts.
  • 16bhp and 38nm are respectable power figures for my requirement.
  • Compact size lets it squeeze into small alleyways.
  • Great interiors and is supposedly safer as well.
  • M&M's vast experience in building and servicing load haulers.
I am not considering the Ace Zip purely because of its looks. Otherwise both the vehicles fit all my requirements. Looks are subjective. However, the Jeeto does not come with a factory hard top loading bay, this needs to be fitted aftermarket, while tata offers a hardtop for the Ace Zip.

I am yet to pull the trigger and things might change in sometime when I finalize the finances, will update the thread accordingly.
ashwin1224 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed